Today's Milling -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well after milling lemon scented gum for the last 6 saturdays I decided to try something softer. Yard owner calls it a rose gum but his son said it was a flooded gum.

Much softer than lemon scented gum.
The slabs
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This shot shows the degree of washboard. The chain is full comp 30 º top plate and is being converted into 10º - it's about half converted - so still leaves a fair bit of washbaosd

attachment.php

The day itself was a mixed bag. Spent ages doing a bit of a tune up and adjustment to the outboard throttle. Then when I finally stared milling my clutch fell off! Spent 30 minutes looking for the nut in amongst the sawdust. Then restarted milling and it fell off again!!! :chainsaw: Gave up and came home because I wanted to torque it down properly. The grain in the flooded gum was worth in though.

Last edited:
Nice grain happening there Bob. The flooded gum we get here is normally good for furniture, but lacks figure for turning or featured work. Some times you can score some good forks though like this one, the big bowl, with some beautiful feather grain.

Edit: the color variation is from extra oil coats

Cheers

Last edited:
Then when I finally stared milling my clutch fell off! Spent 30 minutes looking for the nut in amongst the sawdust. Then restarted milling and it fell off again!!! :chainsaw: Gave up and came home because I wanted to torque it down properly. The grain in the flooded gum was worth in though.

Agreed. that is some beautiful colored and beautiful grained wood there. Wonder how that pretty pink colors stays after exposed to sunlight for a while. Some colors like the pretty blues and purples you can sometimes get from mineral stained poplar fade pretty quick. That looks more permanent. Yet another Aussie wood that can only be found down under. As for you're clutch nut, I'm sure you're aware of anaerobic Loctite or similar products. Ever tried that on your csm? Pros and cons to that stuff. Also... I've dropped enough tiny stuff in 3 inch deep sawdust that I've started carrying a magnet in my toolbox. Won't work for stainless steel, but little things like that E-clip on the Stihl saws that sometimes can spring off and immediately disappear can often quickly be found with that magnet.

Agreed. that is some beautiful colored and beautiful grained wood there. Wonder how that pretty pink colors stays after exposed to sunlight for a while. Some colors like the pretty blues and purples you can sometimes get from mineral stained poplar fade pretty quick. That looks more permanent. Yet another Aussie wood that can only be found down under.
That's another reason to take photos just after milling, when the time comes to make stuff from this timber one can at least try to get as close as possible to the original wood.

As for you're clutch nut, I'm sure you're aware of anaerobic Loctite or similar products. Ever tried that on your csm?
Yep - the day after I first used the mill I went over it and used Loctite on everything that could come - today I'll torque the clutch nut down and add some Loctite.

Also... I've dropped enough tiny stuff in 3 inch deep sawdust that I've started carrying a magnet in my toolbox. Won't work for stainless steel, but little things like that E-clip on the Stihl saws that sometimes can spring off and immediately disappear can often quickly be found with that magnet.
Dang - I had my magnet from the bar antisag device with me I could have used that. Oh well next time.

...Yep - the day after I first used the mill I went over it and used Loctite on everything that could come - today I'll torque the clutch nut down and add some Loctite.
...would be a royal pain, but I guess if things get serious you can always do what they do in aircraft engines, and use wire and one of them nuts you wire into. At least you know that thing ain't going no where in that case.

Bob you have me drooling once again with some of your "Down under lumber". Very nice stuff!! Dai Sensei those bowls are gorgeous!!!:clap:

Nice grain happening there Bob. The flooded gum we get here is normally good for furniture, but lacks figure for turning or featured work. Some times you can score some good forks though like this one, the big bowl, with some beautiful feather grain.

Edit: the color variation is from extra oil coats

Cheers

Nice work! Extremely nice feather in the big piece. Wish I had some of that wood to turn here!

Hi Bob,

I like the overlapping rail and continuous thread idea for your adjustable rails. I'm guessing, it's 25mm or 30mm SHS.

cheers
Derek

Back