Took in this trimmer today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD48

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this is the chainsaw forum, but you guys might be able to help me understand this...

Its a FS110R (solid steel shaft trimmer)

other than needing a tune up the thing runs flawlessly, doesnt vibrate and cuts the grass fine....

So tell me how all that is possible.....when, THIS is the trimmer....

attachment.php

Again it works fine and cuts the grass, I wouldnt believe it if I didnt see it with my own eyes....I will try and get a video of it in a day or so....

Have you actually opened it up to see the solid steel driveshaft? I'm betting there's a flex shaft in there.. If not please post pics to prove otherwise..

Have you actually opened it up to see the solid steel driveshaft? I'm betting there's a flex shaft in there.. If not please post pics to prove otherwise..

Yes I did and I will....Its a 110R....they didnt make them with flexable that I know of....it has been used commercially for 2 years in this condition...:bowdown:

I thought that was a factory option for trimming around corners :monkey:

Yeah but only available is certain sections of commyfornia where the lawn guys where their shorts extra tights and extra short....

Pull it apart and see what you find. Looks quite flexible to me but I am not trimmer guy.

Bill

that is what happens when you put it under the garage door,forget about it and then hit the door button on your way into the house.Not that I would know this or anything. Scott

Pull it apart and see what you find. Looks quite flexible to me but I am not trimmer guy.

Bill

I did the same day it came in, and its solid....

that is what happens when you put it under the garage door,forget about it and then hit the door button on your way into the house.Not that I would know this or anything. Scott

one of the guys customer's backed over it...

I did the same day it came in, and its solid....

one of the guys customer's backed over it...

Pull it out and lets see what she looks like???????????? That dag gum solid shaft must be one tough solid one to be flexible.

Bill

I cant get the shaft out, so here is a pic...I will also have woodgrenade (Luke) verify this and post up next week...

here is the end of the shaft....hope the pic shows up...

attachment.php

I cant get the shaft out, so here is a pic...I will also have woodgrenade (Luke) verify this and post up next week...

attachment.php

The end showed up but that does not explain the post at all. If it is a solid shaft and still running there is no reason why you can not pull it.

Bill

Shaft has to be flexible. If it weren't, it would not operate for two years, period. Every rotation of the shaft necessitates a bending, otherwise it wouldn't turn.

The end showed up but that does not explain the post at all. If it is a solid shaft and still running there is no reason why you can not pull it.

Bill
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

the guy doesnt want to put a new shaft on it ($$$) and I am afraid that if i pull it out, I wont get it back in....pulled it out about 1.5 inches and it bound up...and since I dont want to buy him a new shaft...the boss said leave it alone... :cheers:

again I am gonna have Luke (woodgrenade) stop by and verify that it is in fact a solid shaft...and that it runs and cuts the grass...

Video of the trimmer, thanks Luke...and the thing doesnt vibrate....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid921.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fad54%2Fwoodgrenade%2FMVI_0321.mp4">

Yep just goes to show how rugged those 110r's really truly are.. The only thing that kills 'em is cheap mix oil..
I just did a fs110r today, and it was ruined with cheap mix oil.:( I had a spare FS120 head (2 stroke) that fit right on the shaft, mounted those moose antler handle bars on, and she was good to go.:D

attachment.php

What do you mean you said here you did

I did the same day it came in, and its solid....one of the guys customer's backed over it...

You are getting real confusing real fast. It does not add up at all.

Bill

What do you mean you said here you did

You are getting real confusing real fast. It does not add up at all.

Bill

Do I need to post a copy of the pic in braille for you....So sorry I wasn't clear about the fact the I pulled the power head and cutting head off and verified the fact that it was solid...the bend is too severe in the tube to get the shaft out...

BUT MAYBE....JUST MAYBE.....Stihl decided to weld a flex cable section to the center of their solid shaft trimmers....

I POSTED PICS AND VIDEO....I can see nothing will make you happy...

Latest posts

Back