Took the liner out of my truck bed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
And just goes to show you that the plastic bed liners don't prevent damage, they just hide it. First 2 pics are the dents in my wheel wells after I bumped the worst ones out with a hammer from the wheel side. The third is how the bed is starting to form to the frame... you can see it to the right of the chain. --Ian

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

They are designed to stop scratches and gouges not dents from throwing bucked rounds into your bed, again it's like .062 pliable plastic. I don't see any rust so you did well. Now that it's out what is the plan for the bed?

holy crap I dont even want to know what mine looks like.

Sprayed in liner is much better than the drop in ones! The worst is when you get sand or other grit under the drop in liner it acts like a big sanding block and takes the paint off nicely! I RhinoLined my last two pickups and the bed still looked like new after years of use. You can still dent the sheet metal but it takes a lot more punishment than the drop in liners before denting.

i have aplastic liner and my buddy has a rhino lined bed. that being said for wood i prefer the plastic. you can slide rounds around on it. the rhino lined bed you cant slide anything. i guess it just depends what you use the bed for mostly.

I agree with Husky455 on this one.After I load the bucked up rounds in the woods I back up to the splitter at home.The tailgate is right at splitter height so I can slide the rounds onto the splitter.After i split the first few rows I can reach in and snag the rounds with my hookeroon and drag them to me.It is much easier with the drop in liner.It would drag too much with the rough spray in liners that I have seen.Just seems to make it easier to me.

There are differences between the compounds that Rhino and Line-X use. I researched it a couple years ago when I bought this truck.

Rhino is softer and more rubbery. It works best where you have cargo that you don't want sliding around. Being softer, I read that it's more prone to gouging if you're using a shovel against it.

Line-X is harder and slicker. Not good if you want your cargo to stay put but is more resistant to sharp tools like shovel edges.

There's a place up in Lexington that is spraying an off brand that is supposed to be between those two. They're cheaper than the others too.

Ian

Well I would put this under out of sight out of mind. If the plastic liner doesnt get dented then it still looks pretty even though the metal is dinged up.I would leave the plastic liner in. Why did you take it out?:cheers:

I was bored but not quite bored enough to fold underwear and roll socks, so out came the bed liner.

Ian

i've got a vortex spray on liner in my truck.

but then again i don't haul firewood anymore.

I have the plastic liner----Absolutely no rust and I live in the northeast.Yes it will dent but overall better than no liner.I use the rubber mat on top to keep stuff from sliding around.

There are differences between the compounds that Rhino and Line-X use. I researched it a couple years ago when I bought this truck.

Rhino is softer and more rubbery. It works best where you have cargo that you don't want sliding around. Being softer, I read that it's more prone to gouging if you're using a shovel against it.

Line-X is harder and slicker. Not good if you want your cargo to stay put but is more resistant to sharp tools like shovel edges.

There's a place up in Lexington that is spraying an off brand that is supposed to be between those two. They're cheaper than the others too.

Ian

i have line-x in mine, and i swear, it's better then air brakes.....NOTHING slides across it....

If you're a parsimonious sob like me and have most of a nice day available, you might want to try the Herculiner. Available at most auto parts places.

I did my 6' bed Nissan about 4 years back for around $125. Used a gallon and a quart container originally. Picked up a quart last spring and did a touch up.

Most of the time spent and the key to a good job is in the prep work.

OT- Bedliners make good woodpile covers

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you guys were talking about using bedliners as a cover for your woodpile. A bedliner is not the most visually appealing woodpile covering, but it sure works well. It's heavy enough not to blow off, and it's black, so the sun beats on it and the wood underneath is dried like in a kiln. It's a little awkward getting it tossed up on the woodpile, but it works so well. I also use a bedliner to cover the pile of branches for my outdoor fires. Covering that pile was never so quick.

I had an over the rail bedliner on my Tacoma. I immediately took it off before it could do a number on the top of my bed rails. The bedliner hung around awhile before I realized what a great woodpile cover it would make.

Back