Top 10 reason I burn wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the above plus 2:

Another excuse to tinker with tractors I don't really need (I can only drive one at a time...)

Very few better feelings than coming in on a cooooold day and warming the backside next to the woodstove - you OWB guys are really missing one of life's simple pleasures.

Steve

Oh, and did I mention chicks dig self sufficient guys?

In past years burning firewood was never even a passing thought for me, there was never really a complaint that I had with heating my home and was content with paying the bills like so many other "off to work kinds", but the way things have spun out of control in just the last few recent years I frankly just got sick of being " bent over ".

In a passive form of protest and desire to get off the nipple so to speak there have been many changes in my life the last couple years that have been very rewarding to me ..........not just in a financial way but a self sufficient way that offers to me a better way of life overall.

I agree with many of the previous posts and very much I enjoy all the aspects of cutting my firewood.........glad to be part of the group.

I was serious about the propane but i also enjoy the wood heat better and so does my wife. Pretty much agree with everything ya'll have posted. One big factor i enjoy is the thought of having heat still if the power goes out and it has happened a few times. then everybody wants to come to my house.

I was serious about the propane but i also enjoy the wood heat better and so does my wife. Pretty much agree with everything ya'll have posted. One big factor i enjoy is the thought of having heat still if the power goes out and it has happened a few times. then everybody wants to come to my house.

I think the best part is when the propane company calls and practicly begs you to buy propane. So far they are down to $1.10 and I could probably buy some cheaper than that if I pressed the issue. And it is fun when the power is out. We were out for 8 days and I had a housefull. Fun times. Lots of ice, and plenty of heat

I think the best part is when the propane company calls and practicly begs you to buy propane. So far they are down to $1.10 and I could probably buy some cheaper than that if I pressed the issue. And it is fun when the power is out. We were out for 8 days and I had a housefull. Fun times. Lots of ice, and plenty of heat
Yeah they mail us incentives, and sometimes i take them up on their offer if i'm low.

Yeah they mail us incentives, and sometimes i take them up on their offer if i'm low.

Im nearly out of propane, on purpose. I refused to buy any last year. It cost me $2k the year before, so I bought a wood insert and let her rip. House stays nice and warm, the chainsaws stay nice and warm, and I stay nice and sweaty. LOL Now I have 2 inserts, one on the main level and one in the den. I have fired them both 1 time, and that was enough. There isnt a central unit made that would heat a house up like that.

Im nearly out of propane, on purpose. I refused to buy any last year. It cost me $2k the year before, so I bought a wood insert and let her rip. House stays nice and warm, the chainsaws stay nice and warm, and I stay nice and sweaty. LOL Now I have 2 inserts, one on the main level and one in the den. I have fired them both 1 time, and that was enough. There isnt a central unit made that would heat a house up like that.
They feel like their blowing cold air to me.

We better keep it down before the muslim in chief taxes every house with a woodburning chimney. Don't think he won't do it. Praise allah the illegal aliens and vacant stare feminine crowd elected him. They let illegal aliens vote in maryland. I'm leaving soon. To stay on topic, I doubt many illegal aliens burn wood. But if they did, it would be a huge crowd of grinning people standing around 1 stove. Just the facts. If you don't believe me come to baltimore. It's like rent a kennel.

Not to derail the thread but, nice avatar!!!!

Kyle

thank you sir, ive been getting many positive comments about it. i neer took the time to figure it out. theni came across that pic i had saved on my computer. then i thought of all my fellow firewooders and said yeah i have to do it for them. well and me lol.

thank you sir, ive been getting many positive comments about it. i neer took the time to figure it out. theni came across that pic i had saved on my computer. then i thought of all my fellow firewooders and said yeah i have to do it for them. well and me lol.
image.php

For the life of me I can't find those wheel weights in my John Deere catalog. :censored::greenchainsaw:

Wood Heat

I burn wood head for a variety of reasons but mostly the cost of propane and the fact it does not heat my house well. It is just a nice warm heat and yes you can run around with hardly anything on. It's a little messy the benefits outweigh that slight drawback. I love it when the electricity goes off. It's like camping in your own home and a nice change. oh and the ambiance of the fire burning is a sweet addition to a nice evening running around half naked. As long as I can stack it, carry it, and no laws are passed to prohibit me from it, I will be burning wood for heat.

Good Exercise

Wood burners get fantastic exercise whenever they cut, split, load, haul, unload, stack, and eventually burn the wood.

That seems more productive to me than walking on a treadmill or pedaling a stationary bike. :chainsaw:

Wood burners get fantastic exercise whenever they cut, split, load, haul, unload, stack, and eventually burn the wood.

That seems more productive to me than walking on a treadmill or pedaling a stationary bike. :chainsaw:

I agree with everything but the hauling part. That's when my tacoma does the work and I'm eating a burger and drinking a coke, undoing all the excercise from the other steps.

like i tell my wife, if you burn wood for 100% of your heat, its a lifestyle. that meaning if you get all your own wood form start to finish. if you call a guy to come drop 6 cord of split wood on your lawn then it dont count lol.

Spite

That is the reason I heat with wood. I have a fuel oil fired water heater with HX for my main heat. (radiant in the slab) My co-op had me on a keep full. well he came in July, then came right at xmas time a few years ago.. We were tight for funds.. I told the wife to break down that bill to six months and send em installments.. And in the letter tell them to never ever come back. I built my first OWB the next week, Then built one with a larger firebox the next year.Since then price on fuel oil has risen too.so now I haul my own fuel 110 gallons at a time for the water heater.couple times a year is all it takes.
Buck the oil man and the horse he rode in on.

Hauling IS Exercise.

I agree with everything but the hauling part. That's when my Tacoma does the work and I'm eating a burger and drinking a coke, undoing all the excercise from the other steps.
That assumes that you are delivering the firewood to a convenient, flat, dry, level area where you can easily unload. Suppose you have to fight bad terrain, wet lands, and hills or trenches, just to get to a spot where you can unload? If so, that Tacoma and your food will quickly yield to more of your work (and exercise). :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back