Top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_MA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering about some opinions for a decent top handle saw...

I have both Stihl and Husky saws right now, I like both of them, they make good quality products. That being said, this top handle saw will see very little use. Probably one time a year, and will be used when I need to climb to trim the upper branches of trees blocking my garden from the mid day sun, and will be used for ocasional cleaning of dead branches before they fall.

All that said, I would like to not kill my budget, but on the same note I understand quality products cost money.

I'm open to any/all sugestions

Thanks in advance
Adam

I am a CASO (Cheap A** Saw Operator) and do not think that I would spend a bundle on a saw that would only see use one time a year. Why not get a used saw such as a Homelite Super 2? They were made by the truckloads and are readily available as are the parts. I only paid $25 for this one and it has the dual triggers and is well balanced.

HomeliteSuper2025.jpg

However, your choice and your money.

There are about three top andle threads on the go already...

Stihl 192T or Echo 360T are the only cost effective (cheap) new saw options. They are both around the $350 mark. Dolmar is more expensive. Husky/Jred 338xpt is over 600 bucks. Stihl 200T is more like 700 retail.

The Echo 360T should have more power in theory but has a very choked up muffler, is tuned very lean from factory and has a rev limiter. Bu, you get a five year warranty. I'd pick the Echo if I were willing to mod it (and void teh warranty) or i'd go with the Stihl if I were to run it stock

I would get a Silky Sugoi hand saw for your stated use. Otherwise look at the Husqvarna 435T or Stihl 192T for a power saw that will hold it's value better than the homeowner brands.

Just bought 2 of the new top handle Husqvarna T435 saw's. They work great and have a price tag of around $300. I use these saws for Commercial tree trimming in Las Vegas, Nevada so they get lots and lots of hours of use on them. I own 2 Echo's an old 300T and a newer 330T and I will not be buying anymore Echo's again. They just stop working after a while and take too much modifying to get them to run correctly. Sticking with the Husky T435 or the Stihl 192T, they are perfect straight out of the box with more power and better reliability.

If you can get a decent new Echo for about $200, go ahead and do it. its not like your putting hundreds of hours on it like I am.

Used 192T. I do not have the experience others do nor any time on the other saw choices. I got mine used for a reasonable price and it works well enough. There are a ton available used.

Last edited:
I would get a Silky Sugoi hand saw for your stated use. Otherwise look at the Husqvarna 435T or Stihl 192T for a power saw that will hold it's value better than the homeowner brands.

:agree2:

This is like going on a motorcycle forum and telling everyone you want to buy a new 250cc bike and then guys line up to tell you to buy a bicycle.

This is a chainsaw forum and a guy wants to buy a saw. I don't see the problem. If we all only bought saws we 'needed' this would be a very boring place.

The next guy that asks about a weedwacker should be recomended a scythe maybe? Need help with your riding mower carb? No problem! Buy a reel mower. Want a new truck? No problemo! Horse and wagon!

Maybe we need an Amish section to keep the handsaw recomendations separate

Here's one you don't hear much of, a 35cc Solo 633. Made in Germany. No 200T or XPT, but still has good power though, , perfect for casual stuff and it'll even handle hard-out use as well. I've given this thing a good thrashing and all sweet, starts easy, idles strong and low, digs in and grunts nicely when you lean on it, puts the feeble echos to shame anyway

slo.jpg

slo1.jpg

If 269.00 is in your budget for a nice quailty top handle saw you can pick up one here with no tax and free shipping. I needed a new climbing saw and ordered one yesterday. Fed ex tracking says it will be delivered on the 9th of this month, but I'm in Ca. Btw the no tax does not apply to Il.
Link.
http://wisesales.com/echo_cs360t.html
They also have a top handle shindaiwa for 199.00
The also carry Husky, Red max, and Tanaka

Good Luck.

Just bought a saw from this guy.. Very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with however he is buying these saws just to sell and doesn't have too much background info. not sure where he gets them, he had quite a few saws for sale.. Make sure you know what to look over in a used saw. I'm happy with my purchase though. :cheers:

Thanks for the feedback. I was at my local dealer the other day, and was handling both the Stihl and Husky. They both felt great in my paws, so I still have a bit of thinking to do.

I think either way I go, either the Stihl or Husky will round out a perfect 4 saw plan.

Latest posts

Back