tortured my craftsman yesterday,bought stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttamoneypit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
yesterday I tortured my 18" 42cc craftsman --the neighbor had part of a large apple tree fall down 3 yrs ago and she said I could have it,the craftsman struggled making the 9 or so cuts through the tree---no time to go measure the size of this tree the 18" bar was sticking out the end maybe an inch while cutting at its widest part

so it got very hot and struggled the whole time I'm guessing the saftey type chain didn't help things

so today I get on ebay and find a few auctions ending soon so I ended up getting a 16" stihl 023 that runs but doesn't idle got it for $168 shipped

and now I won a bid on a stihl 032 barless or powerhead only for $86 starts runs but shuts off--owner thinks its a fuel problem and its 5 mi from my house so no shipping

I'm a real noob at using chainsaws I've never tkane a tree down and I've cut probably less than 2 cords of firewood

but I am jumping into this new hobby to save money and I like anything with an engine so I'm pretty excited and eager to get my hands on the new chainsaws and maybe do the muffler mods

now I need to learn how to sharpen chains

best thing I can tell you is to use your PPE... chaps, helmet with ear and eye protection... there are a few people here from PA.. the 023 probably needs a carb rebuild( fairly easy, first one took me about an hour, I put it back together wrong the first 2 times).. the 032, I'm not familiar with, but stihl makes good equipment..http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ecc6e704d1c2bc1b88256ba200491ccd?OpenDocument
theres a link with some info on the 032..

when it comes to sharpening, get the correct file and guide.. your dealer can help with that...http://stihldealer.net/videolibrary/OnePlayer.aspx?v=3&vt=3&vb=0&id=3 this link should help with sharpening.. its a good group of people, don't be afraid to ask questions...stay safe

Welcome. I'm another hobbyist, just with a bit more experience.

My only advice: Those bigger saws bite quick. Be careful, we want you to be posting for a long time.

Get friendly with the Stihl dealer in Berwick, think they are the closest :) I ended up with Huskies but the stihl guy in berwick seemed like a nice guy.

here's what i know about chainsaws....very little. but, i know that all chainsaws are not created equal. after working up a sweat using my free homelite saw (with a sharp chain) to cut wood, my tree buddy let me use one of his old husk-varna (i know...sp) saws. without sharpening the chain on that saw that had not been run in a long time, it ran circles around my cute little homelite. so if i had to buy a saw, i would go for something like the pros use. and dont most manufacturers make a "commercial" type saw, and the "homeowner" saw?

Should have boaght a Husqvarna IMO.

stihl and Husqvarna are fully the equal of one another...I prefer inboard clutches, so I run stihls mostly...my 371xp grew legs awhile ago, but it was a good saw...the little 40 I have just won't die..the stihl dealers here are far and away better then the husqvarna dealers here.. the opposite may be true for you... buy what works, each has sent out junk before.. IMO stihl is a little heavier for the power, but is more reliable, again IMO and in my experience.

I get a kick out of people who tell you the length of their bar when you want to know the size of the saw-

hint: bars can be changed. Brand, model and displacement matter.

Before you go falling or doing lots of cutting, I'd recommend you go work with someone that has more experience cutting and practices good safety and technique (ask around on here how you can tell). Buy the recommended PPE (chaps, eye, ear, foot and head protection) and use it properly. Keep a sharp chain tightened, yer face outta the kickback path, your thumb under the handle, both hands on the saw and your bar tip away from pretty much everything and you'll enjoy a long and prosperous firewood lifestyle. And it is a lifestyle.

:cheers:

I get a kick out of people who tell you the length of their bar when you want to know the size of the saw-

hint: bars can be changed. Brand, model and displacement matter.

Before you go falling or doing lots of cutting, I'd recommend you go work with someone that has more experience cutting and practices good safety and technique (ask around on here how you can tell). Buy the recommended PPE (chaps, eye, ear, foot and head protection) and use it properly. Keep a sharp chain tightened, yer face outta the kickback path, your thumb under the handle, both hands on the saw and your bar tip away from pretty much everything and you'll enjoy a long and prosperous firewood lifestyle. And it is a lifestyle.

:cheers:

Yeah if I had an 023 it'd have a 12'' bar on it.

The "homeowner" chain (91VG/J) originally fitted on 'consumer saws' is nearly useless for anything but light work. I have a couple like it that get a regular workout. Mine start right off and will run and cut all day for a few hundred bucks, less.

Till the bar or the sprocket wears out I would run 91VP or 91VX on it. Then switch to a 16" Pro-Lite bar with 95P or 20NK chain and a .325 rim and drum. That combination feels smoother in the cut and cuts much faster than what comes on those saw. Making sure the engine is in proper tune doesn't hurt.

The right bar and chain can make the difference between night and day , on ANY saw.

Last edited:
The "homeowner" chain (91VG/J) originally fitted on 'consumer saws' is nearly useless for anything but light work. I have a couple like it that get a regular workout. Mine start right off and will run and cut all day for a few hundred bucks, less.

Till the bar or the sprocket wears out I would run 91VP or 91VX on it. Then switch to a 16" Pro-Lite bar with 95P or 20NK chain and a .325 rim and drum. That combination feels smoother in the cut and cuts much faster than what comes on those saw. Making sure the engine is in proper tune doesn't hurt.

The right bar and chain can make the difference between night and day , on ANY saw.

Excellent post... :clap:

I forgot too that a bucking spike from a PP295 was fitted to them a very long time ago. It just makes the saw more useful.

Cutting wood without bucking spikes on your saw is like trying to run with one boot off, it just doesn't work as well without it.

You spent $254 for two saws that need to be fixed, and you have to throw more $ into them to get them running.

For $250-$300 you could have purchased a brand new Stihl or Husky in the 40-50cc range with a warranty.

what can I say!

I admit I impulse bought on ebay--I've done the same with car parts

the good thing is that i still have cash and I'm leaning towards a makita 6401

I was not trying to be nasty. Just wanted to make a point.

I impluse bought a saw an ebay as well. It's just you never really know what you are going to get when you buy on ebay, it's a craps shoot.

Back