tractor vs skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm going to open a firewood sales business and I'm a trying to decide on what machine to buy a tractor or skidder, both have there advantages and disadvantages. the tractor can be used in both the yard moving logs etc and be used in forest skidding with a skidding winch attachment but a skidder can haul a lot more logs out but has little use at the business site but behind the business location there is a fairly large stand of maple and yellow birch. If you opted for the tractor what would be a good HP size and make to get.
unsure of what to buy , I know I can't afford both that's for sure.

I think another big consideration would be transportation of the machine..

if you get a tractor you could probably haul it on a carhauler trailer behind a pickup, but a skidder you would need a float or a heavy tandem and a dually 1ton at the least.
tractors are pretty versatile, but skidders are pretty much single purpose, though with the state of the forest industry, there are some deals to be had

there was a thread in the chainsaw forum that had alot of pictures and discussion on using tractors for skidding, and lots of them had the skid winch attachments. I think it was called "tractors in the woodlot" or something like that, probably alot of usefull info there

Very good debate. IMO though for a firewood lot, you would be better off with the tractor. Like you said, you can pick up logs and skid them from the rear. My experience with firewood is you get a wide variety of material. Size, species, and unique pieces of wood all will be brought in. With my tree business, brush is put in a huge pile and collected until I need to bring in a tub grinder. All material over about 4" goes to my dad and his firewood side business. With the loader attachment, you can re-sell the saw logs that you will constantly have with new loads and even sell the unique pices to local furniture makers. We have a New Holland TN-75ss. It is a great size, with plenty of power and very dependable. good luck in the decision

One other point to consider is a skidder is kind of a single purpose machine. A good tractor with a loader has so many uses that it would be impossible to list them all. Every guy (and good woman) needs at least one tractor.

Another option thats worth consideration is an older crawler loader. You've got a bucket on the front, the flotation of a dozer and if you're luckey you can find one with a winch on the back. Granted ther're a little hard on the ground but stability wise (with the bucket low to the ground of corse) they're alot more stable than a tractor. The bigest expense on any crawler tractor will be tracks and undercairage but if you can find one in decent shape it should last a long time.

I've got a 440 John Deere that I use for fire wood and I've taken it into places that I wouldnt be able to get a wheeld tractor safely with out getting stuck. I dont have a winch but I still find it to be a very usefull machine.

+1 on the track machine if you're not crossing asphalt or driveways. I have a 941 Cat bucket machine that works nice for a lot of things around the mill yard.

I have a four way bucket and ripper teeth. With practice you can dress up roads, spread rock, clean ditches, load firewood, grub brush, etc. etc.

Track machines actually are easier on the the ground than tires if you use 3 bar cleats.

first question would be what is your terrain like, if its hilly farm tractors can be tippy. i use a case ih 5230 90hp with a farmi 501 winch(may need 601) and i've logged some very large beech and maple

how many logs can you pull with that tractor say the size of the ones in the lower picture that you posted?? or is it maxed out with those logs.

I do have a 391 C (For sale by the way) track loader I have used to log out about 15 acres and for getting firewood. Works decent most of the time, but horrible in snowy, frozen conditions.

It does make a light footprint and is nice for cleaning up/putting in roads.

For pulling logs often, I would look pretty hard at a skidder or 4 wheel drive tractor with a winch and bucket. I was thinking about 50 horse for what I want to do.

I will say, the 4-in-1 bucket on the loader is excellent for stacking logs and moving stumps.

I'm kinda leaning towards a skidder because of the amount of wood you can bring out in one shot but the thing is loading the firewood processor or the dump trailer this is where the tractor would be very usefull .

Tractor!

We use a tractor you can haul as much wood out as you want! Simply take the bucket push the trees into a pile throw the choker on it and pull them out. Take to the stageing area to cut into chunks, and while you are doing that have the kids pull all the branches off to the side. When you are done split the wood and let it fall to the ground. Then take the bucket and scoop it all up and dump it into your dump trailer and haul it home! I dont think it get much easier. Alot of the wood you will never touch! Once at home dump in a big pile for sale. When a customer comes over scoop into the pile and dump it into his trailer...... Simple and saves alot of time and best of all the hardest part of the job is running the chainsaw,,,,,, or should i say the funest!!

you can really do some work with a tractor, dont underestimate their power and workability. we used to use one with a farmi winch on the back. It only had 4 places for chokers but we would double choker the logs so we could get 6-8 logs out tree length at about 12-20" at the but. not big trees but sure enough for firewood. we had no problems with them and we were only using a 35 or 40hp tractor (wasnt mine so i didnt pay much attention to the HP of it) plus when i got out to the landing with it it was really easy to just unhook and drive the logs up into the pile with the bucket, its not as easy to do with a skidder because of the limited hight the skidder blade can go and the length of the blade. Plus the tractor is good when snow flies you can push back the bankings after the snow plow has filled your landing, its hard to do with a skidder because of the small blade. For your situation i would buy a good sized tractor, a winch, and a bucket. that way you can multi task. the only reason you would need a skidder is if you work on really hilly or in really thick terrain. If its too muddy to get in with a big tractor you probably shouldent be where you are. Plus if you need to you can attach other things to it later on down the road like a mower or brush cutters. tractor is you best bet unless you can find a good skidder for cheaper than the tractor.

Been there, done that. I've agonized over the same question for the past 10 years, for the same reasons. I settled on a small 30hp Kubota because of its versatility, nimbleness in the woods, price, and small footprint. It has
industrial tires and a grapple on the 3-point and bucket out front mostly for counter-balance. Its alot slower and weaker than a fowarder, but the landowners love the lack of ruts; and it goes where a big fowarder couldn't. It also rides easily on my log trailer.
Theres a guy in Cleveland building a tracked fowarder/loader with a boom-grapple from used Fecon units. $80K+ and it has no outriggers.
A company in Canada is starting to build a mini-fowarder (Awassos) that looks ideal for us pecker-pole firewood guys, but it starts at $85K:cry:

I'm going to open a firewood sales business and I'm a trying to decide on what machine to buy a tractor or skidder, both have there advantages and disadvantages. the tractor can be used in both the yard moving logs etc and be used in forest skidding with a skidding winch attachment but a skidder can haul a lot more logs out but has little use at the business site but behind the business location there is a fairly large stand of maple and yellow birch. If you opted for the tractor what would be a good HP size and make to get.
unsure of what to buy , I know I can't afford both that's for sure.
I bought a Farmi 501. I have it on a 5320 JD (about 60HP). Hauls a suprisingly large load with weights up fron (a must). A bigger tractor would be a detriment in the woods. As long as you have a good skidding road you can do alot of work with the little thing. I also might add that I am a farmer so the tractor was already here, all I needed was the winch.

What about the make of the tractor, I know that most guy's have there fav's
but is there any that I should steer clear of ???
I've been asking questions to one dealer who has a used 2002 Kioti tractor with loader its 65 hp and I think it has 2,500 hrs on it, another one I like is called a universal 530 it's a 1992 and has 3,800 hrs on it all 4 tires on this one are the same size and what about skid plates under the machine .I'll try to post it with this reply.

Last edited:
i usually haul four full 20'-30' logs out as i only carry four chokers, i'm sure it would haul six. around here, dealers want as much for a 30hp compact as a good used 90hp, so why bother, i can also pull my log trailer down the road with no problems, yes at time i can be a little big in some areas, but as you know it gets pretty cold up here in the winter its nice to have a heated cab

Try to get a tractor without a cab. In the woods the cab can get in the way. Next thing you know you are shattering a window. With a tractor their is oppurtunity. If you get slow you can buy a bush hog and clean areas and such. The oppurtunity is endless and attatchments. You can get a 80-100 horse tractor for 5000-8000 used. If you buy a case. Make sure if you do buy one the tires are loaded. This will add more weight for traction. Also get your weights in the front end filled to the max to keep your front end on the ground. Pennsylvania has the best prices on tractors Dont just check local dealers. lancasterfarming.com

This is the other tractor I'm asking question on its called a Kioti and its 65 horse power it almost looks like a Kubota, very nice machine. I also see Where a cab could be a problem but it does get pretty cold up here.

Just like saws, make sure you have a dealer nearby who can get you parts and/or do the service work. Some of the foreign brands are more affordable but parts can be a nightmare to get.
If you work machinery for any amount of time, it will break. Keep that in mind.

Latest posts

Back