Traveling book...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this... SO COOL! Thank you. I'll read it cover-to-cover a couple of times and pass it on. I reckon the Forestry types will get more out of it than the Logger types, since we don't have too many Bullbucks to break us in.... I have a few likely suspects in mind. I imagine that they already know who they are, heh heh. I suppose I DO have a hat to throw into the ring -- is anybody interested in "Log Scaling and Timber Cruising" by Bell and Dillworth? I have my dog-eared spiral-bound copy I'll never part with, but I also have a new paperback copy I'd be delighted to share with the Greater Good.

Wanna make something of it?

Maybe I do... that there log scaling book sounds awful tempting...

PM me your address and I'll get that book on it's way next week.

Have you read Deadfall by James Lemonds?

Done, and no (I think) but it sounds oddly familiar

Maybe I do... that there log scaling book sounds awful tempting...

PM me a mailing address and I'll get it to you, with the usual caveats about remembering to do so and all. The grading stuff in that book will probably be more useful to you than the scaling stuff -- it's less mystical and makes a bigger difference in what standing timber sells for. The illustrations are crude but effective. You'll like the size, as well -- you gotta squint a bit but it's all there and fits in a back pocket.

Beranek's Fundamentals went out on this morning's stage. I threw in Deadfall for good measure. Read, enjoy, pass 'em on.

My new cutting partner gave me a copy of Beraneks fundamentals. What a top notch book. In the modern age of mechanical friction hitches and all the fancy jazz, that book sticks out as one of the better manuals of work climbing fundamentals I've read. Can't wait to get to the timber falling section of the book.

My new cutting partner gave me a copy of Beraneks fundamentals. What a top notch book. In the modern age of mechanical friction hitches and all the fancy jazz, that book sticks out as one of the better manuals of work climbing fundamentals I've read. Can't wait to get to the timber falling section of the book.

It's a great book. I'm not an arborist and what climbing I did was just topping trees for yarder shows...very simple stuff and easy compared to what tree service guys do. The chapters on rigging and knots and all the hardware were fascinating.
I'll probably never use much of that information but it's sure there for a guy who wants to pick up on it.

Okay, but if you get the bug and wind up buying some spurs and a saddle and a whole bunch of other frighteningly expensive stuff I'm not taking any blame for your new addiction. You're on your own. :msp_biggrin:

Harrumph. Just for that I won't promise to read any of this too quickly.

nathan, did you finish the endless tracks. ? if you did not i'll get it back to you. also have a copy of the pacific spruce corp. a good read with great pic's. originally printed 1924.

nathan, did you finish the endless tracks. ? if you did not i'll get it back to you. also have a copy of the pacific spruce corp. a good read with great pic's. originally printed 1924.

I did finish Endless Tracks. Now I need to get my own copy because that is a frankly amazing bit of research.

Pacific Spruce Corp sounds excellent as well.

(this big ol' noggin takes lots of feedin')

Latest posts

Back