tree of paradise/ paradise tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanSchamber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just cut down this 30" tree that stinks terrribly. It has made a mess in the yard close to the house for years now. Seeds sprout all over yard and landscaping. It had to go. Has anyone ever burnt this wood? I have a Heatmor that will swollow it up. Should I let it cure out or burn wet? I would put in the category with willow or cottonwood. Thanks for advice.

"

I just cut down this 30" tree that stinks terrribly. It has made a mess in the yard close to the house for years now. Seeds sprout all over yard and landscaping. It had to go. Has anyone ever burnt this wood? I have a Heatmor that will swollow it up. Should I let it cure out or burn wet? I would put in the category with willow or cottonwood. Thanks for advice.

"

I hate that stuff.

My parents have been plagued by them for years. More of a weed than a tree. I would maybe consider burning it in an OWB, but not inside. I would think it would have far less btus than cottonwood.

Good luck getting the shoots out of the yard.

You can burn it, but it smells real bad. Even worse when it is green. I've burned enough of it to know. Never burned it for heat, just to get rid of it.

I wouldn't dream of burning it inside. I figured i'll give it a try in owb. It's gotta be better than trying to burn snowballs.

Didn't take a picture of tree. Trust me your not missing much. I need to become a little more computer literate and figure out how to post some pictures. After speaking with my grandfather about this tree, he said a lot of people would plant them for a quick shade. Kinda like the crazy people that planted silver maples in all the sub-divisions built in the 60's and 70's. Nothing else they keep roto rooter in business.

Bryan,

2-4-D for the suckers and runners will do it every time.
Head to Tractor supply and ask for it by name.

Spray the whole lawn if ya like, it wont hurt grass, just broad leaves and woody plants. It vectors through the foilage so any overspray on tree bark is ok. Just follow label rates for application, but Paint the stump with the stuff straight.
It's probably the safest herbicide out there, but keep the kids and critters off for a day, and watch the drift near plants ya like.

Ya gotta wonder what paradise smelled like to whoever named that tree....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Thanks guys for the input. That is exactly what tree is. Why it was let to get that big, I have no idea. I never really thought about it being an invasive species. It definately has the characteristics.

Familiar with 2-4-D. Have sprayed pastures and fields with it. Great product when used accordingly. I'll spray in spring. Right now we are getting plenty of snow. Enough to make it rough in the woods for cutting. Trying to get a good jump on next years wood pile. Do you think the large stump will rot out pretty quick. Didn't really want to pay to have it ground out. Have backhoe but that will be a big job.

I would burn it in your OWB but not green. Just that much less worthless green since it will use most of it's btu's getting rid of the moisture.

I have one of those damn things leaning over my house. Neighbors tree, and its a rental, so the owner doesn't care about anything like that. I should have cut it down 3 years ago when I moved here but now it's grown another 15 ft and will be a lot harder to take down. I figure let it fall on my house so I get a nice insurance check.

AOD,

It sounds like you have found a place to dump unwanted salt.;)

Just sayin...:eek:uttahere:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

AOD,

It sounds like you have found a place to dump unwanted salt.;)

Just sayin...:eek:uttahere:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Salt, motor oil, acid, mercury, all sorts of nasty stuff I need rid of. I asked an arborist friend of mine if cutting a ring in the bark around the trunk would kill it, and he said that would kill most trees but not that one, it literally is a wooden weed!

Salt, motor oil, acid, mercury, all sorts of nasty stuff I need rid of. I asked an arborist friend of mine if cutting a ring in the bark around the trunk would kill it, and he said that would kill most trees but not that one, it literally is a wooden weed!

salt, ok, motor oil, maybe.

mercury, think twice the next time you see a kid with autism.

Tree of heaven is supposed to tolerate soil pH range of 5.5 to 8. If it is confined to a somewhat small area I would attempt to rid of the plant by constantly dumping wood ash or better yet lye onto its root system but doing so would likely kill most plants around it. It also grows anywhere even out of rock.

IMO tree of heaven when burned smells like burning rubber even when seasoned and I would be very conscious of when to burn it especially if you are close to neighbors. Do it when the prevailing wind won't effect anyone.

Unless it were dumped on my driveway or on my property where cleanup is absolutely required would I really bother to process it ( I am subject to the latter) and it is best to use gloves when you do it. It doesn't take long to season and never burn it green.

Besides the horrendous odor a 6 inch diameter log will last only about 20 minutes in an EPA stove which is by far the shortest duration burn time of any wood I know of, leaves no coals and a very fluffy powdery ash but will burn hot in that very short period.

As for burning it indoors I do it without any compromise to indoor air quality but I do have an airtight EPA stove.

Last edited:
I asked an arborist friend of mine if cutting a ring in the bark around the trunk would kill it, and he said that would kill most trees but not that one, it literally is a wooden weed!

no kidding i did that to mine since my blade wasent long enough and i ran out of time to cut all the trunks and it grew back shut in a very short amount of time.

i hate those trees i got a couple im my back yard i need to get ride of. i wasent sure how to get ride of it since they recently banned outdoor burning in my township unless you have 10 or more acres. i just have three acres so no dice.

i was thinking of making a giant outdoor stove out of a old oil tank to simply burn all that and limbs down that are two small to bother with but can fill several truckloads a year.

Latest posts

Back