Tree removal pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built a bunch of huge homes, been on many steep roofs. I ain't a bit afraid of heights. Topping a tree like that is one job that I don't want. I take my hat off to you guys that do it. Thanks for the pics and vids.

Great work! Hopefully il be doing work like that in a few years :)

I've built a bunch of huge homes, been on many steep roofs. I ain't a bit afraid of heights. Topping a tree like that is one job that I don't want. I take my hat off to you guys that do it. Thanks for the pics and vids.

Thanks guys. Ya its a bit of a rush taking tops. I do enjoy it. Really works out some muscles I don't normally use.

Looks like you are having fun working the tops, at least you have the safety gear we never had. My first topping I only had a linesman belt and a set of modified linesmen spurs. No safety gear or lines, topped a big spruce at 50' it was still 20" dia., when it kicked off downwind the stem sidekicked 2-3' easily and continued to sway for 30 seconds or so,it was quite a thrill. Just remember to cut safe, have fun.
Pioneerguy600

introduce myself with some pics

I'm pretty new to this forum and just found this thread. So, I thought I'd use it to introduce myself. This link has pics of a challenging take-down I did last summer.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=149150&id=584151058&l=3c7069bb96

I live in central Iowa and have been self employed climbing trees professionally since 1989. I primarily work around my home area but have also climbed a few jobs in TX, AR, CO, NE, WI, MN, KY. Until recently, I've worked only by word of mouth with private clients. Now I'm subcontracting occasionally. There seems to be a lot of bucket operators and not a lot of climbers locally. I dont have any arborist certifications yet but I've consulted closely with the plant pathology department at the local university since the early 90s. So, I make a pretty good effort not to hack trees up like an idiot. I often "save" trees that people initially want to cut down by talking to them about pruning options to fit the site. I'm also a flight instructor so I take risk management and safety pretty seriously.

So enjoy the pics and feel free to educate me as you see fit.

Matt Michael
Ames Iowa

I've read all I can find on the subject of big trees from the old days, and I pretty sure that story is not documented.

However,the tallest known tree in North America was the Mineral Tree, which totalled 393 feet tall. About half of it fell about 1916, then the rest in 1931. It was a Douglas-fir, not far from Mt. Rainier.

By the way, the world's largest tree, The General Sherman sequoia, has about 55,000 cubic feet of mass.

Either way, I'm planning on coming to Brisbane for the 2012 ISA conference, then going down to hang with Graeme for a spell. Maybe I'll bring him a ported 346!!

Sherman was a damn yank scoundrel, why name it after him, it should of been ropes sequoia:monkey:

I've read all I can find on the subject of big trees from the old days, and I pretty sure that story is not documented.

However,the tallest known tree in North America was the Mineral Tree, which totalled 393 feet tall. About half of it fell about 1916, then the rest in 1931. It was a Douglas-fir, not far from Mt. Rainier.

By the way, the world's largest tree, The General Sherman sequoia, has about 55,000 cubic feet of mass.

Either way, I'm planning on coming to Brisbane for the 2012 ISA conference, then going down to hang with Graeme for a spell. Maybe I'll bring him a ported 346!!

:arg:

Sorry I missed this response till now.

http://asgap.org.au/eregn.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_regnans

These are hardwood.

The "Black Spur" Nth East of Melbourne is a beautiful drive amongst the Mountain Ash.

DSC00549.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread parrisw! Brings back a lot of fun memories.

I will say that if you like climbing take care of your knees. I shattered my left knee in 2001, when I got back on my feet I went back to climbing asap. The knee lasted about 7 more years before it said that's enough. Folks on the ground don't realize how hard a take down is on your knees & hip's. For that matter, it's taxing on your back, shoulder's, arm's, and neck too. Of course getting older had nothing to do with it. :)
A lot of folks will never see first hand the view of the countryside from a tree just topped. :cheers:

Andy

Looks like you are having fun working the tops, at least you have the safety gear we never had. My first topping I only had a linesman belt and a set of modified linesmen spurs. No safety gear or lines, topped a big spruce at 50' it was still 20" dia., when it kicked off downwind the stem sidekicked 2-3' easily and continued to sway for 30 seconds or so,it was quite a thrill. Just remember to cut safe, have fun.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks ya, I'm trying to have fun, its a workout that's for sure. this one where I topped it was about 16", topped with my 200t with 16" bar, it just cut all the way through.

I'm pretty new to this forum and just found this thread. So, I thought I'd use it to introduce myself. This link has pics of a challenging take-down I did last summer.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=149150&id=584151058&l=3c7069bb96

I live in central Iowa and have been self employed climbing trees professionally since 1989. I primarily work around my home area but have also climbed a few jobs in TX, AR, CO, NE, WI, MN, KY. Until recently, I've worked only by word of mouth with private clients. Now I'm subcontracting occasionally. There seems to be a lot of bucket operators and not a lot of climbers locally. I dont have any arborist certifications yet but I've consulted closely with the plant pathology department at the local university since the early 90s. So, I make a pretty good effort not to hack trees up like an idiot. I often "save" trees that people initially want to cut down by talking to them about pruning options to fit the site. I'm also a flight instructor so I take risk management and safety pretty seriously.

So enjoy the pics and feel free to educate me as you see fit.

Matt Michael
Ames Iowa

Welcome to the site.

Nice work paris%&&& always forget the rest anyway your starting to be a fulltimer:clap:

Thanks Rope! I'd love to do this for a job, but the work in this department seems to be really up and down, I like having a steady paycheque to pay the bills and raise and support my family, and my current job does that well.

Great thread parrisw! Brings back a lot of fun memories.

I will say that if you like climbing take care of your knees. I shattered my left knee in 2001, when I got back on my feet I went back to climbing asap. The knee lasted about 7 more years before it said that's enough. Folks on the ground don't realize how hard a take down is on your knees & hip's. For that matter, it's taxing on your back, shoulder's, arm's, and neck too. Of course getting older had nothing to do with it. :)
A lot of folks will never see first hand the view of the countryside from a tree just topped. :cheers:

Andy

You said it buddy! after I was done I was a little sore as usual, since I don't do it too often!

Great haunt on the road bikes Will! :)

Yup!!! Looks that way! ahhh, don't get me going on bikes. I love riding fast bikes, and I don't have one!!!!!!! arrrrrgggggggg. I'm a freakin maniac on one though. Speed freak I am. This tree climbing and topping has to do for a rush these days.

Another tree today. My buddy came and helped out today, so he did the climbing, I wish I was up there, but he wanted to do it, so I was dragging the branches.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rMXnaTy00Fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rMXnaTy00Fg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Took down a couple of trees today for my parents.

Saws of choice today were 200T and 044.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Top just starting to go over!

attachment.php

Nice photo's. I realize that this is a small tree in the parents front yard but you still should be practicing safe removal techniques. Only using one lanyard while operating a chainsaw aloft is a bad habit. Since you're in Canada I'm guessing that this technique is permitted. ANSI standards here in the states would not permit it and rightfully so, it can be very dangerous.

Nice photo's. I realize that this is a small tree in the parents front yard but you still should be practicing safe removal techniques. Only using one lanyard while operating a chainsaw aloft is a bad habit. Since you're in Canada I'm guessing that this technique is permitted. ANSI standards here in the states would not permit it and rightfully so, it can be very dangerous.

For the love of :rolleyes: I use my rope and wirecore many times but not always and ansi can't be with you at all times lol. I really don't get it, sounds like a bunch of green Asplundh foremen, go ahead write me up for my left ear plug fallin out , anyway nice job Parris like the ppe :cheers:

Last edited:
For the love of :rolleyes: I use my rope and wirecore many times but not always and ansi can't be with you at all times lol. I really don't get it, sounds like a bunch of green Asplundh foremen, go ahead write me up for my left ear plug fallin out , anyway nice job Parris like the ppe :cheers:

Thanks rope!

Back