Tree Service Association

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been asked to organize a Tree Service Association by one of the City's that I work for, this is so they can establish an ordinance that covers who get a business license and sets a standard in proper care ( I think it is really cool that they are concerned about who is running the streets with a saw).
I have never worked this type of request before, I was wondering if any of you already have a local group or have set one up, please, anyone have pointers to go in the right direction? would be greatly appreciated!

btw what is the city?

Because we already have attorneys involved, let me check to make sure I can say, I don't think they will have a problem, but let me check first.

JPS, It wont let me, I, when I get home later, will download a pdf, and send it to ya.

Last edited:
no new license just have one person on the co be a certified arborist other wise your gonna have problems with your enforcement issues

I license is an agreement with the city that you will follow certain rules, basically a contract. The simplest is that they agree to follow best standards and ANSI.

The good part about requiring an arborist to direct or supervise is that you are then establishing a "responsible person", you do not have three guys who are pointing to each other saying "it's his fault!", or the hack who drops off a crew of underskilled labor to git'r done.

Back to the structure question. I think you should shoot it by the mayor as to setting it up as a vollunteer advisory panel, or Tree Board. This will limit the number of people, and the "who do i need to ask" question.

So I got a hold of my ol'bud who is a Tree Warden in a small town/suburb of Green Bay. They do not do any industry regulation with their tree board, but does act as an advisory body to the village government. It is a 5 person volunteer group that meets quarterly and is chaired by the city forester (new position in past 2-3 years).

They did quite a bit more, when there was money in the city budget.

Cool Beans! I have been sick, reason for little action from me.
I am meeting with Mayor on Tuesday, bring up the Tree Warden Idea, I know they will want me to do it, I think that would be great if I didn't have my own, but I think It would be a conflict if I do.
The assc, I'm starting to lean to the volunteer panel, The main reason for the assc is to bring proper standards to the people, I agree with many that all those are published by the I.S.A, T.C.I.A and so on, I think that If I produce the format, and give them the resources. Then they will go on from there, with my guidance and the guidance of the state ( Iowa has a generalized ordinance already written for the cities! Found it yesterday!)
Just some more thoughts

Oh, forgot to say this, I talked to one of my fellow tree guys, Just put out a couple feelers, one of the q's he asked me, keep in mine I have sat across the table from him at a seminar before, was impressed he was there!

"what the heck is wrong with topping"?:jawdrop::dizzy::cry::chainsaw::confused:

This is what I deal with here

Hard fought battle it will be, making success that much more sweeter.

Latest posts

Back