trees and lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What can i do about some wires around my trees i can cut the trees my self if the electric or phone company would take the wires down has any one had any experience with dealing with the utily companies?

Last edited:
Do you want to cut the wires or the trees? Power lines will kill you if you or the tree come in contact with them. Why are you concerned with the trees and the wires? Contact local utility company and ask for guidance before touching any tree near the wires, all wires are considered live and dangerous so let them identify the lines also.

Depends on the size of the company. I work for a small cable company, and as long as you are ok with being with out service for a day or two we will do a temp remove. The power company here is local as well and you can talk directly to them. When it comes to large utility companies though good luck. The phone company around here has 2 service techs for 3-4 towns. They can't get to a job till there is trouble.

Our company will not clearance subscriber drops even if asked. We are not trained arborist and will not be responsible for damage. I will trim a tree that is getting into my main lines though. :chainsaw: but living in a city that loves to plant trees in the curb lawn that gets to be a hassle.

Last edited:
What can i do about some wires around my trees i can cut them if the electric or phone company would take the wires down has any one had any experience with dealing with the utily companies?

:monkey: huh ?

Maybe there is more to this story that hasn't come out yet. :popcorn:

Edit : OK ,OK I get it now. Yes, you can give the utilities a call and let them know you are cutting trees they will disconnect the services that run across your property. You might even ask if they would come and do the trimmimg at little/no cost.

Last edited:
I called them once (Inland Power or Avista, not sure which) about 10 years ago. Needed to drop a large locust but a guy wire was in danger. They set up a sched, appeared on time, cut the power, and tried to drop the tree for me. I had to loan them my saw before they completed the cut. Their chain was the worst rocked out POS I ever saw.

I have another one I want to do and will try the same thing. The line terminates close to the tree and used to be the feed for a farmstead until it burned out totally last year. Hoping they will just remove the line permanent.

Harry K

:monkey: huh ?

Maybe there is more to this story that hasn't come out yet. :popcorn:

Edit : OK ,OK I get it now. Yes, you can give the utilities a call and let them know you are cutting trees they will disconnect the services that run across your property. You might even ask if they would come and do the trimmimg at little/no cost.

thanks this was what i wanted to know sorry for the mix up. I will be calling the power company to see what needs to be set up thanks guys

Last edited:
What can i do about some wires around my trees i can cut the trees my self if the electric or phone company would take the wires down has any one had any experience with dealing with the utily companies?

The answers to your questions depend on whether the lines are high voltage transmission or distribution lines, or low voltage service drops.

If they're high voltage, you as the landowner have no responsibility, or even any right to trim around them. You must maintain minimum approach distances with yourself, your tools, and anything you cut. Minimum approach distances are different depending on the voltage the line carries, beginning with 10 feet for 7600 volt distribution lines, and going up for higher voltages.

If they're low voltage service drops, the electric company should take them down so you can trim, then hook them back up when you are done. They do this for free. (Here anyway).

Working around power is a very serious issue, call the utility and go from there.

I have some limbs that are on my neighbors property, making contact with the lines going to my house. He told me I could limb the tree all I wanted.

They are a service drop, post transformer. The limbs themselves can conduct?

I wanted to just climb the tree, the base is about 20' away from the lines, and limb it, but after some reading, this doesn't seem to be a good idea. I guess I'll give the power company a call.

:buttkick:
I have some limbs that are on my neighbors property, making contact with the lines going to my house. He told me I could limb the tree all I wanted.

They are a service drop, post transformer. The limbs themselves can conduct?

I wanted to just climb the tree, the base is about 20' away from the lines, and limb it, but after some reading, this doesn't seem to be a good idea. I guess I'll give the power company a call.

are you a tree man tom trees

Just a home owner who isn't afraid to climb :). Not messing with lines unless I'm sure tho.

My daughter and I have different but large power companies. Both have been good about taking the wires down to allow us to safely trim the trees. You can rent a lift for about $100 a day and take on some big challenges.

My daughter and I have different but large power companies. Both have been good about taking the wires down to allow us to safely trim the trees. You can rent a lift for about $100 a day and take on some big challenges.

Yup...and maybe get his name on the front page of the paper and the obituary section all in one day.

If there are wires in the trees, or dropping the tree through the wires is a possibility, just give it a good leaving alone. Call the utility company.

Yup...and maybe get his name on the front page of the paper and the obituary section all in one day.

If there are wires in the trees, or dropping the tree through the wires is a possibility, just give it a good leaving alone. Call the utility company.

He means the power company will come out and drop the lines off the pole so you can safely cut.

Back