Trees on nice Car. Who is to blame?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
JP:
Give me a guess.
Who was stupid enough to put these trees on this car?
Forest Service Gumment types or professional cutters?

Come on. Say what you think.

attachment.php

Conflicting "evidence" in the pics. The dolmar smacks of professionalism. The "California" tags(on the rig they're on) say volumes towards Tourista'. The driver of the rig doesn't own a chainsaw...blue paint on the tree...I'd say pro cutters under gumment supervision. The tourista was coming up the road on holiday and nobody was paying attention. The marked tree hung in the snag, perhaps more than two trees, they both(all)went together. Looks like some "Texas Bi_ch Cutting" took place. Of course, the pics are limiting.

No humbolt, backcut looks a little high, wasn't a faller, just by looking at the picture that appears.

Not all "thinners" will use a Humbolt. Going for speed. Only reason I ruled that one out. The dolmar made me think pro.

Unless...it WAS campers or wood theives. The dolmar is gumment issue and is in the photos because the agency folks are cutting em' out! Smoke put that photo in, one out of dozens, to throw us a curve.

Where's Waldo?

I looked at these pictures for a while now and I don't see a chainsaw, am I going blind?

It was too easy for you guys

These photos came to me from a California USFS employee.
The Tahoe NF has been mentioned.
The Gumment takes a bow.
Apparently we did it.
No report yet.
I'm not sure, but the major issue here may be road control.
I'm just glad the damage was apparently confined to the vehicle.

I'm flattered that my friends on arboristsite would think I did it.
Actually, I've never acquired the skills to "lead" a vehicle correctly and connect. Thanks for your vote of confidence guys.

I see one lodgepole or white pine and the one with the blue paint is a white fir and that crap don't burn. Looks like the pine was hung with the fir. I like the Dolmar though.

jp hallman said:
Ohhhh...no, not "Dolmar" the saw brand. The combination oil/fuel can is known as a dolmar.

Never heard it called that before, around here it's a "combi-can".

sedanman said:
Never heard it called that before, around here it's a "combi-can".
We can't get them around here in Cali. no more - typical. I get mine up in Medford or K-Falls at Big R for $9. The only other thing I have heard a "Dolmar" called was a "Piggy-Back."

Worked several days on the "School" fire(Pomeroy, WA). The local forest wanted to get homeowners in to assess damage ASAP when they deemed it was safe. Which they deemed way to early, but politics is politics. Sooo, they gang-banged the fire with fallers to clear access roads of hazard trees. Good idea, but in my opinion they moved too fast. Road control was almost non-existant in a few areas. NOT because we didn't try. Folks that have been tossed out of their homes and not allowed back for a couple weeks are "antsy" to say the least. They'd run our roadblocks if nobody was standing there to stop em'. That was the fastest moving fire I've ever been associated with. On the steepest terrain I've ever worked. From, and I'm not sure of the exact acreage, four hundred acres to twelve thousand in 24 hours. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Northern Blue Mtns. and the Palouse. The local cop I talked with who was given the task of leading the evacuation told me they had an HOUR to evacuate a few hundred households scattered over several miles of switchback roads.
He didn't sleep for days. He wasn't able to get to all of the houses in time the fire moved so fast. He knew for certain folks burned. 147 houses, and many outbuildings were consumed. Luckily, NO lives were lost.
Anyway, that fire taught me "road-control" if nothing else. The ground was so steep and rocky(small loose rocks)many snags felled uphill went like bobsleds into the road. We were lucky on more than one occasion. Folks ignoring roadblocks and moving barricades would just plow ahead, hell bent on leather to see what was left of their homesteads. Manned barricades proved to be the only answer, and then it was tough.

Tree Sling'r said:
We can't get them around here in Cali. no more - typical. I get mine up in Medford or K-Falls at Big R for $9. The only other thing I have heard a "Dolmar" called was a "Piggy-Back."
Nine bucks is a good deal! Handy lil' devils.

No

Never tried to hit a vehicle. Just joshin'. Although if I did, I've heard that a swing Dutchman, with a tree moving somewhat horizontal, is your best cut.

The best running a road block story I have is from South Carolina. Wasn't there, but I'll tell it like I was.
Prescribed burn, major road (45) closed off with FS vehicles and barriers.
First road block, coming from the north, laid out poorly just before a curve. Two guys in a rig big enough to carry the back hoe on the bed barrel through like they're important. Everyone scatters and has visions of hell, being transferred to the Daniel Boone NF and finishing their career as a timber marker. The guys in the truck, when they get to the second road block, end up diving for the ditch and half roll their rig.
The FS folks come running up ready for a full meal EMT event followed by years of paperwork. The two law abiding members of the public, who both have outstanding warrants, split on their two good legs through the woods faster than anybody can catch them. (However, they left a few tons of identification behind)
Everyone is still catching their breath on that one. In the NASCAR South, a road block is not a device to stop or slow traffic; it is a personal challenge that was no doubt brought in by some Yankee carpetbagger.

Back