Trimming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tophop. Specs are, in your words a bunch of bull to make themselves look good. Do like I said and contact them-show no mercy.

This is interesting, line clearance workers seem to be a necessary sub-class here. Kind of like the "untouchables" in India. :)

Clearance, you could move here and get a job with Crawfordsville Electric Light & Power.  There will be plenty of clearance work in about 15-20 years what with the several hundred ash trees they just planted under/around the newly-relocated three-phase lines when they widened the highway through town.

Too technical?&nbsp; Nah, that's basic stuff.&nbsp; A URL contains <i>protocol</i>://<i>resource</i>.&nbsp; Without both basic components it's <i>not</i> a URL, by definition.&nbsp; I provided the <i>basic information</i> necessary to post a raw link or one with "pretty" captioning on this (and most other forum) sites.

glens said:
Clearance, you could move here and get a job with Crawfordsville Electric Light & Power.&nbsp; There will be plenty of clearance work in about 15-20 years what with the several hundred ash trees they just planted under/around the newly-relocated three-phase lines when they widened the highway through town.

Glens, Which would be the lesser of two evils for these trees, the Emerald Ash Borer that is headed our way or Clearance hoofing his way to the top with his long gaffs, flipping his wire core ahead of him. Both are guaranteed to be the demise of these trees.

Larry

Ax-man said:

Glens, Both are guaranteed to be the demise of these trees.
If the gods and nature and the force have given you omniscience to guarantee ANYTHING in nature, Larry, proud to know ya.

That shiny green pest may have not met its match yet, but it will. YOu may be shellshocked and talking crazy now, but rest assured, They all do.

Epidemics have little to do with gear and climbing practices. Bugs are not an alibi to avoid learning to climb without irons, which are a crutch for tree workers who haven't learned the ropes.

Clearance this one is for you, I hope this comes out as I had to scan it, instead of using the camera.

The picture is was taken in the late 80's, pre ANSI and modern day gear.

The tree was the largest Cottonwood in the US at that time, this tree was located in my home town. The Illinois Arborist Assoc. donated a day to prune and cable this monster.

This tree was done by the book, no spur climbing, no attitude about who is #1 the tree or me, this tree was not what I would call a safe tree either, it was literally half rotten because of it's age, well over 100 yrs old, but we did it, not easy by no means but it can be done to climb any tree without spurs.

The guy in the pictures was a vetern climber and a very good one, take a close look no spurs here. I am not the one in the picture, but I did have my little part in doing this tree. After that day was done, no one is ever going to convince me that to trim a big tree, you got to have those spurs to get the job done, that person is just plain wrong.

I have other pics of this job, but don't know how to get them reduced to fit the scanner and get them posted.

Larry

Come on guys, let it go.&nbsp; Clearance is not saying it's okay to prune trees in general with spurs, but that it's okay to use spurs on occasion when the situation warrants it.

clearance, I suspect most of the big trees under the lines predated the lines.

As for why anyone would plant one when lines are already there? Sheer stupidity.

Most trees that spring up under wires are planted by birds. They eat the berries/seeds and when they are sitting on the wire they open the poop hatch and bomb the seeds to the ground. Along with a healthy dose of fertilizer.

Tom D. I'm too busy spurring, hacking and removing trees to take up a that kind of challenge from some tree hugger. Today I was working many miles away from the do-gooders in a logging town where people smile and wave, instead of scowling at us, nice change. Any of you guys sent an e-mail to my utility, so you can get a good answer on why its o.k. to wear spurs? www.bchydro.com or are you scared you will get an answer that you can't argue with?

weren't you banned? Never had any cred. with tree huggers like you anyway.

To me, Tree Hugger is a compliment :) Thanks!

Take just a minute and go back to see what I had to say about line clearance work. Nothing, to me and others, our two disciplines are, at best, second cousins. I never attacked your work. I'm asking you to substantiate your claims. You say that spiking is OK, now you're blathering. If you want to talk to me, do so, don't talk about my credibility because of being a Tree Hugger. Before I started to really learn about trees I spiked and topped. then I learned that neither of those practices are accepted so I changed my ways and have become a much better arborist and climber because of it. How much have you learned about trees?

Tom-you are right, name calling isn't good especially if you take tree hugger as a compliment. Wearing spurs is an accepted practice (for utility guys here), I really don't like to top trees but if they compete with the line, so be it. Mostly what I have learned about trees, is how they respond to work done on them. Probably the most important thing I have learned is the strength of holding wood in trees, like fir, birch its good, maple, cottonwood its bad. I make proper cuts, don't leave stubs, not a total hack. So many people have hacked on me here, but I can take it, just like a tree beside the line. -joking guys

clearance said:
So many people have hacked on me here, but I can take it, just like a tree beside the line. -joking guys

I was starting to roll my eyes and disregard your posts, but your input on electrical hazards has been well thought and professional. We disagree on maythings, but agree on those that are truely important. I'm sure Tom does too.

Latest posts

Back