True storie's, Really?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
!

I was crew leader on a crew, with three inexperienced guys all about 24 years old. Everything they did pissed me off. After lunch I'ed say let get back to work. they'ed get up and all have to go to the bathroom to #### for 10 min. They wouldn't work together, each doing their own thing and make no headway. One time we had a brush pile to bring up a hill, the loader was coming the next day and they wanted to wait. I had caught them all sitting under a tree taking a smoke break, so I made them get the pile. I did it with them.
Next day the owner calls me in and says I'm working them to hard unnecessarily. They told on me! When the loader came that day, it couldn't be used down there anyway because of the damage it'ed do to the watershed. (I already know this)
I didn't run to the boss with all the day in day out trails and tribulations. I let a lot of stuff ride, and it bite me in the arse. We didn't have write up's, but if we had it may of worked out better for everyone. I'm not saying you should be an a hole, but some times by not drawing that line you do an in justice to everyone.

I was crew leader on a crew, with three inexperienced guys all about 24 years old. Everything they did pissed me off. After lunch I'ed say let get back to work. they'ed get up and all have to go to the bathroom to #### for 10 min. They wouldn't work together, each doing their own thing and make no headway. One time we had a brush pile to bring up a hill, the loader was coming the next day and they wanted to wait. I had caught them all sitting under a tree taking a smoke break, so I made them get the pile. I did it with them.
Next day the owner calls me in and says I'm working them to hard unnecessarily. They told on me! When the loader came that day, it couldn't be used down there anyway because of the damage it'ed do to the watershed. (I already know this)
I didn't run to the boss with all the day in day out trails and tribulations. I let a lot of stuff ride, and it bite me in the arse. We didn't have write up's, but if we had it may of worked out better for everyone. I'm not saying you should be an a hole, but some times by not drawing that line you do an in justice to everyone.

You got it rough, Wade!
Stay sane, wish I could afford you!
Jeff

Actually Jeff theres a lot of things that you can work with a Guy but arriving early isnt one of them Its a mindset not a bad habit . I know a guy who starts MON/Tues at 6am and you can set your watch by him arriving at 615 am and then the remainder of the week he starts at 730am and shows up at 735/740am , I mean its just frustrates you I am sure but late guys never change .... But he is a real hard worker prolly makes that 15 minutes up before lunch so he gets a pass for the last 10 years

This guy you speak of reminds me....of me. Some years ago. Then I quit drinking and was on time/early ever since. Even started my own lil biz. My point is...late guys CAN change. Though it may be a little rare.

Oh crap, that happened three weeks ago, I saw it, couldn't get there in time..... I mean it's a BC 1500, you have to be sooo dumb to let that get caught in the feed wheels. I'm the only guy of 10 who has any prior tree experience, it'svery lonely sometimes. I spend half my day running across the jobsite screaming NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I got a great laugh out of that. I hate to say it, but it's only funny 'cause it happens to me all the time, too.

I only let the tree crew have plastic scoop shovels. They work just a good as the aluminum ones, and they are a heck of a lot easier on the chipper knives when they go through the Bandit.

It's so embarrassing to keep running across the customers property yelling NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Bad for business.

I am at the point where I just have the guys drag bush. Most of what we're doing right now is dropping dead pines in the burn area, so I shoot the line, let them rig the pullies, drop it, clear the rope, and by the time they have the rope out and the pullies off, I have it bucked and limbed. It's just easier that way, and the saws sure stay sharp longer. I had a new guy complain that he'd been with us FOUR WHOLE DAYS, and hadn't touched a saw yet. I told him from what I'd seen, he hadn't mastered the fine art of brush dragging yet, and I didn't want to throw too much at him at once.

You got it rough, Wade!
Jeff

We don't really give out any warning, if someone is that dumb there Audi 5000. I've been with the same group of four guys now for almost 4 years. If I couldn't trust my life with them it would be a lot more difficult to accomplish anything.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ylcwqk

You got it rough, Wade!
Jeff

that's right psycho, some people actually got something to gripe about. You with yer lost hitch pins and safety glasses are,well, yer nuckin futs dude, you got yerself a little head problem doncha? I can't believe what a see- you -n -t you are being. Let us know when something real happens, till then, eat my shorts, I feel like hoppin on a plane, coming out there and slappin the female outta you. need to retire yer old #####y ass you do. Wouldn't surprise me if the boys in corporate read yer reports and think the same thing but then again what do they know about anything besides pennies on the dollar anyway?

Damn! Speaking of psycho...

It's called Management. He has to set up rules for folks to follow. The employees have to follow the rules. Failure to enforce the rules means that no one will follow the rules.

He could just fire their ass for some silly crap, but instead, he creates a written ##### list of what they have done wrong, and he slaps them around with that list when they ask him for something they want...like a raise in pay. If he didn't write it down, he might forget it when the conversation gets started.

Then he gets to remind them of what he wants...reliable employees that don't ignore stupid things, like the silly little pin that makes sure the chipper doesn't fall off the truck while they are going down the highway.

Last edited:
that's right psycho, some people actually got something to gripe about. You with yer lost hitch pins and safety glasses are,well, yer nuckin futs dude, you got yerself a little head problem doncha? I can't believe what a see- you -n -t you are being. Let us know when something real happens, till then, eat my shorts, I feel like hoppin on a plane, coming out there and slappin the female outta you. need to retire yer old #####y ass you do. Wouldn't surprise me if the boys in corporate read yer reports and think the same thing but then again what do they know about anything besides pennies on the dollar anyway?

BS If you can't trust em on the small stuff, why trust em when it really matters? I took time on my Sunday to have a climbing/groundsman seminar today at my home. 3 guys said they'd be here, so I said OK. One showed up, 15 minutes early. The other two were no call no shows. Who do you think I will trust on the jobsite?

BS If you can't trust em on the small stuff, why trust em when it really matters? I took time on my Sunday to have a climbing/groundsman seminar today at my home. 3 guys said they'd be here, so I said OK. One showed up, 15 minutes early. The other two were no call no shows. Who do you think I will trust on the jobsite?

Oh, like you never lost a pair of 6 dollar sunglasses? Call me when you get back to reality.

Damn! Speaking of psycho...

It's called Management. He has to set up rules for folks to follow. The employees have to follow the rules. Failure to enforce the rules means that no one will follow the rules.

He could just fire their ass for some silly crap, but instead, he creates a written ##### list of what they have done wrong, and he slaps them around with that list when they ask him for something they want...like a raise in pay. If he didn't write it down, he might forget it when the conversation gets started.

Then he gets to remind them of what he wants...reliable employees that don't ignore stupid things, like the silly little pin that makes sure the chipper doesn't fall off the truck while they are going down the highway.

Well make sure you write yerself up for ALL the times you lost yer silly little pin. And PD, with yer track record I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near you dude.

Oh, like you never lost a pair of 6 dollar sunglasses? Call me when you get back to reality.

Yes i have, and I took responsibility for it. I sign my gear out, I take responsibility for it. 2 weeks ago, a loop runner and a prusik loop were missing from my bag. I went on my own time, in my vehicle, and retraced our steps, searched every jobsite, no luck. So I manned up and replaced them at my expense. That is reality Dan, and it's called being a man.

Yes i have, and I took responsibility for it. I sign my gear out, I take responsibility for it. 2 weeks ago, a loop runner and a prusik loop were missing from my bag. I went on my own time, in my vehicle, and retraced our steps, searched every jobsite, no luck. So I manned up and replaced them at my expense. That is reality Dan, and it's called being a man.

good fer you, however, its no hitch pin.

I keep hitch pins and glasses on hand, that stuff gets lost by everybody all the time. Waste my time and hurt my ears crying about it? :angry: Its called being a man.

And Jeff is on here flaming the guys in a public, I guess there is no respect there. No doubt he was drunk off his ass to start with this hitch pin, 1 minute late, lost sunglasses crap. Go soak yer nose and forget about it, you've bigger fish to fry you cantankerous old lady.

Dan is not a man, he's a wannabe.
Jeff

Dismantled a big technical oak last week with limited visibility to ground due to other tree limbs. Noticed groundie wandering around - no hard hat on. Was super hot out & I was tired and fed up. I yelled at him that he needed to get a hardhat on NOW, dammit. He replied that he didn't wear one "cause anything that hits me is too big for the hat to do anything". That set me off, and I just lit into him. No customer home, thank God, but it made the next hour or so pretty gritty.

Man, was I pizzed off. Told him that the day is soon coming when he will be replaced, and his attitude is incompatible with my business model. I know that you are s'posed to praise in public, and criticize in private, but I think shaming him in front of others might be the only way to get this to sink in. Also mebbe good to have witnesses to the conversation in case things do go south.

He is too stupid and/or lazy to care about looking after his own safety and well-being, not to mention making me look unprofessional, and putting my business in jeopardy. This same guy has been on the local volunteer fire dept for about 4 years, and knows damn well that full PPE is required at practices and on calls.

Seriously Dan? Do you know what it adds up to and what abuse it leads to?
Jeff

You might have something with the guy always being 1 minute late but it just sounds to funny. Lost glasses and hitch pins? What? Do you think office workers get written up when they lose a pen? No, you are being to critical. Unprofessional even. Yer acting like a #####. You keep it up and the good guys you have will be against you. now shut up and go make sure every truck has a couple of hitch pins on it so the guys don't have to stop and be bothered when one gets lost.

And how do we know your watch is even set right?

Back