True storie's, Really?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a great climber called John, I had to call him in one day

"Look" I said "Your a great worker, you really know your stuff and do your job to perfection, but EVERY monday morning you call in sick for the day, what gives?"
"Its complicated" He said "You dont want to know"
"I gotta know, your my best guy, but this is getting on my nerves in a big way."
"Okay, see its like this. I have this sister who is in a tough relationship, her boyfriend gets on the drink on the weekends and is really threatening. Now me and her are really close so on monday morning when he leaves for work really early, she calls me and I go around to see how shes doing."
"Well thats understandable" I said
"Yeah, one thing leads to another and we end up doing it all day long, we shag each others brains out for hours and hours."
"Your kidding, with your sister??? Thats just the most depraved thing I have ever heard!"

"Yeah I know, I keep calling you to tell you Im sick!"

:msp_tongue:

one of my guys used to show up 10 min late every day, even tho he only lives about 4 minutes from here. Thats fine. When I got four other guys on the clock waiting for him, I started taking 40 min off his pay each day... he got the hint finally..

I have an extra that works Saturdays only and just started a full time job as a tow truck operator during the week. Told me he'd still be with me on weekends. The past three weekends he hasn't shown up due to "medical" reasons. Still able to do towing though. Come to find out, his boss goes commercial fishing for weeks at a time leaving this guy on call 24/7. He doesn't know that I know what's up. I asked the other day if he's coming in this weekend. Texted me back that he went to the doctor and he has two slipped disks and one ruptured disk in his back, pneumionia in one lung and liver failure but will definately be in next weekend. Of course, thats when the boss is back from his fishing trip but he doesn't know that I know that.

Liver failure. :msp_rolleyes: Can't make this up.

We hired this Mexican guy named Jorge about 12 years ago. I had suspicions he was stealing gas from a tank at the shop but had never actually caught him doing it until one day I forgot my phone and circled right back around to the shop to get it. There he was stealing gas. When he realized he was caught he start saying "No, you can't see me...I am invisible."

I have to admit, I'm not a stickler on arrival time. I only use ground support who have their own transportation. I get to a job at the time called for, climb what's needing to be climbed, and get the job done. If support never shows, I finish the job, solo, and cross the no-show(s) off my list. At almost sixty, I just don't need to get myself ragged, going off on lates and no-shows. There are always other guys and gals waiting to step up to the plate/tree. Yeah, on bigger gigs my philosophy doesn't always wash, but I mainly go after jobs that I can get done in six to eight hours, solo, three to four with one groundie. Life's too short to waste time feeling angry. In no way am I saying that my way works for production companies. I choose to not work for those companies, so I minimize my workday hassles. Life is good, in general, knock on oak!

I have to admit, I'm not a stickler on arrival time. I only use ground support who have their own transportation. I get to a job at the time called for, climb what's needing to be climbed, and get the job done. If support never shows, I finish the job, solo, and cross the no-show(s) off my list. At almost sixty, I just don't need to get myself ragged, going off on lates and no-shows. There are always other guys and gals waiting to step up to the plate/tree. Yeah, on bigger gigs my philosophy doesn't always wash, but I mainly go after jobs that I can get done in six to eight hours, solo, three to four with one groundie. Life's too short to waste time feeling angry. In no way am I saying that my way works for production companies. I choose to not work for those companies, so I minimize my workday hassles. Life is good, in general, knock on oak!

You are a freebird Sunrise. I answer to the owner. When my guy's want a pair of safety glasses, I ask them what happened to the pair I gave them. Show me, or did they lose them? Had a guy leave his chap's on a job and did not tell me for 2 week's. Had a guy back up a truck on his pole pruner, etc...
In short, I cannot afford to be casual about this stuff.
Jeff :smile2:

You are a freebird Sunrise. I answer to the owner. When my guy's want a pair of safety glasses, I ask them what happened to the pair I gave them. Show me, or did they lose them? Had a guy leave his chap's on a job and did not tell me for 2 week's. Had a guy back up a truck on his pole pruner, etc...

Actually Jeff theres a lot of things that you can work with a Guy but arriving early isnt one of them Its a mindset not a bad habit . I know a guy who starts MON/Tues at 6am and you can set your watch by him arriving at 615 am and then the remainder of the week he starts at 730am and shows up at 735/740am , I mean its just frustrates you I am sure but late guys never change .... But he is a real hard worker prolly makes that 15 minutes up before lunch so he gets a pass for the last 10 years

I worked with a guy who habitually locked the keys in his truck , and I mean no spare nuffing and would realize it as he was shutting the door to the point where we would all remind him DAILY as he was gathering all his stuff to grab the keys :dizzy:

Actually Jeff theres a lot of things that you can work with a Guy but arriving early isnt one of them Its a mindset not a bad habit . I know a guy who starts MON/Tues at 6am and you can set your watch by him arriving at 615 am and then the remainder of the week he starts at 730am and shows up at 735/740am , I mean its just frustrates you I am sure but late guys never change .... But he is a real hard worker prolly makes that 15 minutes up before lunch so he gets a pass for the last 10 years

Oh yeah? Well, it sounds like he calls his own shots and I would be writing him up and if he did not change, gone.
Jeff

I feel your pain. First hing Monday 2 guys are in for a surprise, one gets to go to Smithville to get the saw he left behind, the other gets to go get the shade tarp he left at a mulch delivery, in thei cars, on their time, I'm over it.

Oh yeah? Well, it sounds like he calls his own shots and I would be writing him up and if he did not change, gone.
Jeff

Believe me I get it , its not like he gets paid to be late he just can't be on time ... I get where you are coming from believe me thats why I don't have a boss anymore ....

I feel your pain. First hing Monday 2 guys are in for a surprise, one gets to go to Smithville to get the saw he left behind, the other gets to go get the shade tarp he left at a mulch delivery, in thei cars, on their time, I'm over it.

T wrenches , if I had a quarter for every T wrench I had returned to me I would have a few extra bucks for sure ... I mean I buy them by the case but yet when I need one I can only find the most bent snapped off head worn out T wrench there is , I actually hide one for myself in the truck ...

"Jeff, I need a scoop shovel,"
"Why? Where is the one I gave you yesterday?"
"Went thru the chipper."
I wrote him up for it.
Jeff

Oh crap, that happened three weeks ago, I saw it, couldn't get there in time..... I mean it's a BC 1500, you have to be sooo dumb to let that get caught in the feed wheels. I'm the only guy of 10 who has any prior tree experience, it'svery lonely sometimes. I spend half my day running across the jobsite screaming NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

"Jeff, I need a scoop shovel,"
"Why? Where is the one I gave you yesterday?"
"Went thru the chipper."
I wrote him up for it.
Jeff

Sounds like you have to do an awful lot of writing, Jeffers!

That reminds me of the time my oldest brother put my cleanup shovel through the feed rollers. I was like "I've had that shovel since I started this business.. it was my first cleanup shovel that I got for doing my own work"! Lucky me, it just got dinged up a bit. That was probaby ten years ago. I still have, and use that shovel. It's getting kinda beat up now though. I put it into semi retirement! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back