Trying to decide on 70cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 20 - 25% increase in one year? I wonder what made them do that. Did commodity prices and labor go up a whole boat load for them or what? Tooling for the factory is a sunk cost, they are already being made. Just seems excessive to me.

Maybe they are just fishing trying to see if they can sell any (many) at that price point. Maybe some stockholders demanded a price increase. I just don't know, but seems odd to me for that big of a price jump on something like that. Especially in a down economy. They should be dropping prices and trying to make more unit sales, and be happy with "some" profit.

I still have yet to see an actual bonafide Dolmar dealer. I rented one once, but the guy wasn't a dealer either. There's several out there I have never seen in a dealer's store, ones that are obviously common enough I see them mentioned here, dolmar and efco come to mind readily. A shop near me has tanaka stuff, but no saws. So I have never even seen one of them. And AFAIK, I have never seen a chinese clone saw. Lot of chinese ATVs and cheap dirt bikes and so on, but no saws. Even at the two traveling tool shows I have been to within the past few years, lots of other chinese tools, including a crate tractor already assembled, but no saws.

As Jimmy T said, it has to do with changes made to meet EPA emmisions. I did not consider the sliding value of the Dollar vs Euro but it makes sense to me. My dealer does not carry as much Dolmar as he used to but is an actual dealer. He has been a Stihl dealer for years and will work on any brand of saw. Even if he would drop the Dolmar line I have evry confidence that he would still take care of me seeing that he services many Husky, Poulan and Jred saws that he does not even carry.

Leaning toward the Husky 372 I can get about $100 cheaper than the 441 and the dealer is close by. Hadnt got to check the price on the Dolmar 7900 yet plus the dealer over an hour from the house.

Leaning toward the Husky 372 I can get about $100 cheaper than the 441 and the dealer is close by. Hadnt got to check the price on the Dolmar 7900 yet plus the dealer over an hour from the house.

That price difference was several $100 the other way around here, when I bought the 372xp, and just ignored the 441, some years ago. I never was in the slightest doubt about what to get between those saws, the 441 didn't appear on any version of my "short-list".....

If your going to get a stihl I would get a 440 over the 441and if you want more power get the 460.

I have often thought if I went for a knew 70cc, or 70cc plus plus being the 460 at 77cc, don't have any experience with the 7900 on my end, but for sure worth looking at. But the noticeable jump in the price of the 70cc, and up size's, and close weight of some now big brother's. I would give the 390xp a very, very! hard look.

I have often thought if I went for a knew 70cc, or 70cc plus plus being the 460 at 77cc, don't have any experience with the 7900 on my end, but for sure worth looking at. But the noticeable jump in the price of the 70cc, and up size's, and close weight of some now big brother's. I would give the 390xp a very, very! hard look.

+1 Norm. A ported 390 is a thing to behold.

Even in stock form. I would say I remember the 288xp, but it not a memory, and is still a top dog. So good it was brought back= 390xp lighter version. I am sure though porte'd could make some noise:angry:

I have narrowed it down to either a husky 372 or a dolmar 7900 they seem to weigh about the same on paper but the 7900 has more power.

Go to both dealers and try the demo saws for yourself. I cut up a red oak log today with a Makita 7901,same saw as the Dolmar 7900 except for the color. I was running a 28" Husqvarna Techlite Bar on it. This saw handles,balances and performs great with the 6.3 hp engine.

That's a good idea Jimmy. I have never bought a saw that I hadn't atleast run one or handled one before.

I have narrowed it down to either a husky 372 or a dolmar 7900 they seem to weigh about the same on paper but the 7900 has more power.

You won't notice much difference; and the 372 is a better saw.

The 460; which was on your original list; has about same power as the 7900.

Where are dealers located; and are they good dealers. That is how you make final decision.

Our Dolmar dealers are all rental shops or retail stores; with nobody on staff who really knows the saws from a technical standpoint.

Husqvarna and Stihl are much better in that area around here; with Stihl having a slight edge (in the closest dealers to me). If you can not get solid dealer support; and reasonably close; then the saw from that dealer needs to be discounted somewhat as the support is vital (unless you are only an occasional user and a down saw is not important - or have the money to buy two saws the same).

Latest posts

Back