Tuned Exhuast? Huh?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a TIG I'd say that's the best option, but most don't. If you know what you're doing MIG works, but I don't know what I'm doing so it doesn't work for me.[emoji51] Braising can work as well ,I've done it several times with good results. If you just want the gains and don't care about practically a hole in 5he front of the muffler works better than anything other than an expansion chamber.

Using a screen really just depends on the saws application and location you're using the saw. For myself I don't see a real need for a screen, it never gets that dry here, and if it does I'm not cutting anyway.

If you have a TIG I'd say that's the best option, but most don't. If you know what you're doing MIG works, but I don't know what I'm doing so it doesn't work for me.[emoji51] Braising can work as well ,I've done it several times with good results. If you just want the gains and don't care about practically a hole in 5he front of the muffler works better than anything other than an expansion chamber.

Using a screen really just depends on the saws application and location you're using the saw. For myself I don't see a real need for a screen, it never gets that dry here, and if it does I'm not cutting anyway.

I was thinking of trying to tig weld it but with the mufflers being $40 + each I decided to try something different. Also the mufflers steel is only 0.30" thick and have never tig welded something that thin. So I tig welded the pipe to some 0.60" sheet metal and then I will mount that to the muffler.

Now I am not sure if I should drill small holes for sheet metal screws or use pop rivets?

This is my uncles saw that I am fixing up for his 60th birthday gift.

IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1065.JPG

You could see some changes in pipe length. I normally go short on single outlet to retain the expansion chamber instead of hogging multiple ports in the muffler.

Though pipe length probly means so little it doesnt matter much.

Im alittle longer on this saw View attachment 641905

Im always messing with mufflers and only judge by seat of pants so my testing isnt much at all

On this type of muffler it would be interesting to make a series of graduated spacers to place between the outer cover and the main body . You would also need longer screws and eventually you would start to intrude on the area of the teeth [ senior moment, can't think of what they are called]. It would be a lot more work than the tubular stingers but might be a new area of experimentation. Probably somebody has already tried it. Messing with reed spacers is common on motorcycle motors.

On my Poulan, I removed the baffle, drilled several 5/16 holes in it, top and bottom. Then, I removed the spark arrestor screen and reinstalled the baffle. On my pipe, it is bent around 30° and runs inside the muffler. It has a long angle cut and flared toward the exhaust port and the holes in the baffle. The pipe is about as long on the inside as it is on the outside.

Just finished up my uncles saw. Had some issues figuring out carb settings but I think I got it worked out. Chain isnt the best but it cuts.

Back