Tuning 372xp for different b/c lengths

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Redneck

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My new 372xpw is being shipped from Madsens today. I got several bars and chains. I'm new to this saw and want to experiment. I got a great deal on a package that included the 32" bar. I'm guessing that they will tune the saw before it's shipped to run the bigger bar. Do I need to worry about carb adjustments / oiling when I drop down to the 20" for limbing?

Thanks,
Buck

If it's tuned to clean up with a long bar then it will be a little bit rich for a short bar. It won't hurt anything and will just use a touch more mix that way. I usually just leave mine set for a 32" all the time. You will use a little more oil but won't hurt anything either.

Since when did husky allow sales of pro saws through the mail?? You must be mistaken and you are going to pick it up tomorrow. Right?

Anyhoo… the saw will probably come as set from the factory ie nothing done at all. Screw on the handle, put on the dogs and chain catcher, put mix and bar oil in the tank, bolt on a bar and chain and go cut wood. Modern 372xp have a rev limited coil to 13.5K. New 372xps usually have limiters on both the H and L screws of the carb. If you are really paranoid, crank the H screw counterclockwise (out) till you hit the stop. This will be as rich as the EPA allows as you will be up against the limiter. Bar oil adjustment is on the bottom of the saw. Crank it out (counterclockwise)as far as it goes and forget about it. Think about getting a tach sometime in the future.

Right on you got youre saw. Ive never run the 372 but I know it is a rock solid, and a beast. You should be happy. I know I am with my 044 which would be similar, except youre 372 is newer, and biggercc. I had a 32in bar on my 044, and pulled it with no problems.

If I were going from a 32" down to a 20" I think I would go ahead and slow the oil down a tad. Won't hurt to leave oil adjustment alone but right for 32" is going to be strong for a 20".

Yeah, I meant that I'm picking it up today. Not being shipped. They said that they are going to set the saw up to the proper "Specs" Tach ect. ect. Doesn't seem like it's a "pick up the box" and self assemble. I could be wrong though.

You've mentioned the same scenario in two threads now...

I am worried, I thought that Madsen's didn't sell saws that needed the bars to be changed for limbing...

Thats why I left a 28in on my 044. I guess some guys like playing musical bars. I dont I tried a 24in on the 44 not much difference handled about the same. Almost better balance with the 28. I always thought that 20in bars there best place was smaller firewood saws. Even if I had one saw 372 or 44 size. I dont see a need to drop to a 20? Even a 32 is well rounded.

Uhh, ok. I'm not exactly sure I understand Cheese' reference to Madsens selling one saw / one bar. I posted 3 treads. #1 - to see which kind of Husky I needed for my applications. It was determined that the 372xp was a great "utility" saw. large and small applications. #2 thread was to determine which thickness bar I needed. I admit it got a little off topic regarding bars and chains. Many people suggested that it's a personal preference. My 3rd thread was asking if I needed to worry about tuning the saw for drastically different size bars. I don't intend to swap out bars on a regular basis. However, I do need to find my "groove" with this new saw. That requires trying different things until I decide what is good for me for a specific application. I recognize that I'm not an experienced logger. I also recognize there is a huge difference between running a 20" full comp bar and a 32" full skip bar. I've never worked a full skip chain at 32" I thought it would be more safe to work my way up until I get a better feel of the saw.

Howdy,
Hell, your going to be driving right by Bailey's. We would have at least matched the price and saved you a 20 hour drive.
Regards
Gregg

Don't worry. I spread the wealth to you too. I just ordered chaps and wedges from you yesterday. I hit the $200 free shipping minimum. Please make sure it arrives by the 18th. It's going to Ohio.

Thanks,
Buck

In two threads you mentioned someplace doing something that they can't do, that's all I mean.

At Madsen's, the 32 IS the limbing bar.

Thanks Cheese,
No worries. You are right. The 32" is the limbing saw for Madsens. That's why they strongly suggested I get the package with 32". I just want to be respectful moving up to the pro series saw. I've cut many trees in my youth and have been out of the game for some time. I'm sure that the 28" or 32" will be fine once I get into the swing of things.

In two threads you mentioned someplace doing something that they can't do, that's all I mean.

At Madsen's, the 32 IS the limbing bar.

dont think anyone would consider a 32 inch bar a limbing bar, a lot of fallers use 32 inch bars ALMOST exclusively.

Where are you cutting that a 32 inch bar is needed for limbing? thirdly.... most fallers also use the bar they fell with to limb....sooo....?

This is kind of getting crazy. Here's the bottom line guys. I need to do a big job back east. Average tree diameter is 36" Some slightly more... some less. Mix of hardwoods and pine. Close to 100' tall. Madsens pros said to get the 32" bar to knock them down then change up to a smaller bar to limb. Yes. The 32" bar is for felling not limbing. Yes, most west coast guys limb with a 32". Go figure.

Most west coast people only carry one bar with them into the woods. They keep a spare in the truck or probably most carry a backup saw. I use the same bar for everything. Occasionally I pick up the 5105 and use it. Usually my dad uses it if he's around.

I know lots of good fallers here in big timber country who refer to 372, 044, 460, as limbing saws, adn they all wear a 32in bar or a 30. I think like all madsen just refers to that as what they are, and I think around here it is just a nickname. Alot of landing men run the 044, and 046 earlier models, for bumping knots, etc. I have a lot of logger friends who if there is 10 saws sitting on the ground will grab the saw that has the 32in bar,and that is there first choice for limbing, even if the tree was already down. It ithink is a very popular, thus they nickname it a limbing package. But when I talk to my buddies who are fallers, and loggers about the 372, 044, 46. They refer to them as good limbing saws. I used to think of it as disrespect,because I have cut some big stuff with my 044. But with thes guys, a 066, or 660 is for fallin, and 395xp. They just dont look at the smaller ones the same. But yes alot of fallers do all with one saw which around here is the 660. But the 460 is popular too. I think it just depends on what area you are from, and where you are at the time, and that determines how others refer to it. I am 1hr or so north of urbanredneck, and would have to agree that you would refer to that saw, and or package as a limbing saw. Though used for much more, and I am not against limbing, and do with any bar size.

Did anyone notice it is urbanrednecks birthday? Happy birthday man. I just noticed on the b-days below.

Latest posts

Back