tuning a rev limited saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a stihl ms311. he bought it new and has never messed with the carb. i took the saw home with me today to sharpen his hacked file job chain and set the rakers so he could cut wood and not start a fire with the bar when he was done. chain sharp i made a couple test cuts and tuned the low side for him and went to the high side. it was hittin the rev limiter but no 4 stroke at all. figured id fatten it up a tish but the carb was already against the limiters. not being my saw i didnt want to mess with it too much but is a rev limited saw supposed to 4 stroke before it hits the limit or is it normal for them to limit out like that with no 4 stroking like the unlimited saws? guess i could use some tuning advise as to what i should listen for on a limited saw. i do fine on the old ones but new tech and me take a while to mesh

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but does anyone know if the ms440 is rev limited? What other stihl models are rev limited?

Nice reference vid! I'm gathering that you just do the usual tuning method (richen until barely 4-stroking) but under a slight load as shown in the vid.

This means you're ending up with a tune that's overall richer than the no-load version right?

Nice reference vid! I'm gathering that you just do the usual tuning method (richen until barely 4-stroking) but under a slight load as shown in the vid.

This means you're ending up with a tune that's overall richer than the no-load version right?

No, your tuning to richen when under no load and just right when under load. You richen when under a load so you can hear the difference to when its not 4-stroking. After its does 4-stroke under load, lean it out until it just stops 4-stroking. When you pick it up out of the cut knowing what it sounded like in the cut, you should be able to hear the difference.

Make sense?

watch this video, it clearly shows the difference, listen carefully. The 7900 sounds the same when on the limiter, so tuning in the wood is required to keep it from hitting the limiter as they sound the same to most people. It won't hit the limiter (normally) in the wood, but will 4-stroke if rich enough. Your training your eat to hear the difference really so you can set it correctly.

4-stroke in the wood is too rich, clean in the wood is good. WOW check that out... clean in the wood is good! It needs to 4-stroke as soon as you lift it out, helps cool the cylinder too.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/113538.htm

Latest posts

Back