Tweener size saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deakin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 361 and an 019, 20" and 12".

The 361 is too heavy to carry all day and the 019 too small to do much good.

Need a tweener that is lighter and still have some good power.

I am not brand loyal although a new Stihl dealer has opened up in town and they are friends of mine so that will help my other two.

I need experienced advice to help in the search.

Thanks for your help.

I am not brand loyal although a new Stihl dealer has opened up in town and they are friends of mine so that will help my other two.

Thanks for your help.

this question has only one answer New Edition Husqvarna 346XP

+1

If reports come back favorably when they get out in numbers, my old 346 and 361 will get the boot in favor of the new 346... and it will be EHP'd before I ever see it just like the 372 was.

Ian

Thanks for your help.

I havent had my Ms260 for very long but Im learning that it is awesome in 6-12" stuff. Maybe good in bigger as well, just havent tried it to find out yet.

this question has only one answer New Edition Husqvarna 346XP

It sure is a very cool saw, put a 15" or 16" bar on it, and it will fit in - or get the old 346 and loose .2kg and .3hp.

...hate to say it, but the ol' MS260 would be a good choise as well, if you have a good Stihl dealer, and not a good Husky one........:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Imo, the Dolmar 5100S is not an option here, just too close to the 361 for weight.

Last edited:
I would like to thank all of you who reply with good info. I get tired of posting at times on some other sites and all you get is a bunch of post stealing and negative comments.

Quite refreshing to have actual usable information and no remarks to my inexperience.

Thanks again

I would like to thank all of you who reply with good info. I get tired of posting at times on some other sites and all you get is a bunch of post stealing and negative comments.

Quite refreshing to have actual usable information and no remarks to my inexperience.

Thanks again

What I would like to know, is how much lighter than the 361/20" it needs to be - maybe a 16" bar on the 361 would make the trick, or on the other side, a 346xp may be too heavy.........:confused:

Then, if you just want more power than the 019, and a really light saw, the MS200 and the 339xp may be the best options.....

......and if you don't plan to use it that much, a Husky 350 may be the right one.....

..etc...

Last edited:

Thanks again

Don't worry, that happens here too, just post a question about what ratio mix to use and see what happens... :clap: or maybe what length bar is ideal for XXX saw.... or what brand is better, and why... or any question at all about an MS441.... :popcorn: ... or "What is the difference between 'chisel' and 'full chisel' chain?" :jester: You won't be disappointed. :)

Ian

Good question Mr. Troll. Right now I have to walk in about a 1/4 mile to start cutting. Canyon country. I am going to use the dozer soon but for now I can't get any closer with anything that has tires. The mesquite is hell on tires.

I carried the 361 for about 3 hrs the other day and loved not having to stay with a cut for long but the weight of the saw in one hand and trying to move mesquite with the other is too much for old man.

I believe when I get the dozer in on the deal things will go much faster. It just takes forever to get a good amount of wood with the trees 8" to 10" at best and spread out from each other.

I need to find a place to just cut my azz off for a day or two and get it out of my system.

Deakin, just dropping to a 050 chain and a 16-18 bar on that saw should save you some weight. That dang 063 chain seems to weigh a ton ;) compared to my 050 chain when switching them on my 084.

Might try that first 050 16-18 bar and see before dropping some big bucks.

For a good mid size saw, I like my 2054, or 2152 Jonsered which is the same as the 353 Husky. The 2145/345 is a great little saw, I can't break it. For Stihls, I am not too familiar. I don't know how you pack in your saw, but for trail maintenance, about 12 miles a day, I bought a wildfire chainsaw pack from Forestry Suppliers. It is cheaper than a new saw and carrying the weight on your back instead of your arms is a lot easier.

But don't we all need a new saw anyways.

Deakin, just dropping to a 050 chain and a 16-18 bar on that saw should save you some weight. That dang 063 chain seems to weigh a ton ;) compared to my 050 chain when switching them on my 084.

Might try that first 050 16-18 bar and see before dropping some big bucks.

If so, make it a 16" Rollomatic E, not ES.

A++++ Advice

the stihl 260 makes a great little brother for a 361.:rock:
i have mine set up with a 20" bar and full skip chain and the little devil eats right through trees great for limin and small tree jobs. i wish i had two of the little devils great fire wood and general tree surgery use:cheers: for limited use i run a 24" bar and full skip chain it is a little under powered just give the little devil time and it will cutt the tree:chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: the best saw Trio in my opion is a 660pro Stihl with a 36" Bar and full skip chain and full wrap handle and BIG DAWGS, 460pro Stihl with a 28" Bar and full skip chain and 3/4 wrap handle and BIG DAWGS 260 Stihl with a 20" Bar and full skip chain and 3/4 wrap handle and BIG DAWGS:bowdown: :chainsawguy:
Just my beer monies worth
Cheers mates

i have mine set up with a 20" bar and full skip chain and the little devil eats right through trees great for limin and small tree jobs. i wish i had two of the little devils great fire wood and general tree surgery use:cheers: for limited use i run a 24" bar and full skip chain it is a little under powered just give the little devil time and it will cutt the tree:chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: the best saw Trio in my opion is a 660pro Stihl with a 36" Bar and full skip chain and full wrap handle and BIG DAWGS, 460pro Stihl with a 28" Bar and full skip chain and 3/4 wrap handle and BIG DAWGS 260 Stihl with a 20" Bar and full skip chain and 3/4 wrap handle and BIG DAWGS:bowdown: :chainsawguy:
Just my beer monies worth
Cheers mates

What he said. Luv the wifes 260 but you could go 16" on bar make it real handy. And like Troll said get the laminated "E" bar to save weight.

Last edited:
Love it

My 026 that is,, with a narrow keft bar and chain,,, 16" big enough for most and just eats the wood. Just got some new RMC chain so need to do a cut comparison, but reckon the 20nk chain is so much faster and much easier on the saw.

For a good mid size saw, I like my 2054, or 2152 Jonsered which is the same as the 353 Husky. The 2145/345 is a great little saw, I can't break it. For Stihls, I am not too familiar. I don't know how you pack in your saw, but for trail maintenance, about 12 miles a day, I bought a wildfire chainsaw pack from Forestry Suppliers. It is cheaper than a new saw and carrying the weight on your back instead of your arms is a lot easier.

But don't we all need a new saw anyways.

I packed an 032 around on my shoulder doing trails, and after a long pack in that way, (had foam padding wrapped around the bar) bought an old frame backpack for $3.00 at a Goodwill store and modified it. Considerably cheaper than a new saw but I guess not as much fun as buying a new saw. With hunting season here, packs and packboards ought to be on sale.

Back