Twist Style Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, twisting wedge versus straight wedge.

The wedge has twist in its design but be aware that it does not twist when struck for splitting.

The twist can help avoid getting caught in more fibrous woods but overall this twist doesn't provide any additional benefit that can't also be achieved with any broader, highly tapered, diamond-shaped wedge.

The biggest benefit of this style -- and any broader, highly tapered, diamond-shaped wedge -- is greater outward force due to the much broader head.

From my experience, these type of wedges are not great for starting the splitting of bigger pieces but really come in handy when the "traditional" straight wedge goes in fairly deep but still hasn't completed the split (because there's not enough outward pressure being exerted by the narrower wedge).

I prefer these diamond wedges to the "twisties" http://www.woodworkers.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=128-678&search=Wedge&smode=.

But I use mine only as a supplement when need to help the traditional narrow wedge. If you use these diamond wedges to start a split on something big, there's always the danger that the tiny point hits something hard before getting fully started, and the wedge then jumps back out at you.

Last edited:
The wedge has twist in its design but be aware that it does not twist when struck for splitting.

The twist can help avoid getting caught in more fibrous woods but overall this twist doesn't provide any additional benefit that can't also be achieved with a any broader, highly tapered, diamond-shaped wedge.

The biggest benefit of this style -- and any broader, highly tapered, diamond-shaped wedge -- is greater outward force due to the much broader head.

From my experience, these type of wedges are not great for starting the splitting of bigger pieces but really come in handy when the "traditional" straight wedge goes in fairly deep but still hasn't completed the split (because there's not enough outward pressure being exerted by the narrower wedge).

I prefer these diamond wedges to the "twisties" http://www.woodworkers.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=128-678&search=Wedge&smode=.

But I use mine only as a supplement when need to help the traditional narrow wedge. If you use these diamond wedges to start a split on something big, there's always the danger that the tiny point hits something hard before getting fully started, and the wedge then jumps back out at you.

wow.....a wedge "expert"

Never tried it, but for 25.00 & 10.00 shipping, I'll stick to my old fashioned ones. This kind of reminds me of the "wood grenade" Someone else's gimmick.

My dad bought 2 of those round "wood grenades". If your main objective is to bore a tapered hole into a block of wood, they work great. Want to use it for actually splitting the wood??? GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Well my splitter has enough pressure it twist the flighting on the beam. Does that count? Nothing my 16pound sledge can't fix, few times a year.

The twist can help avoid getting caught in more fibrous woods but overall this twist doesn't provide any additional benefit that can't also be achieved with any broader, highly tapered, diamond-shaped wedge.

You are right on the money. I've been laughed at for using my 'Wood Grenade' for a few years now but it works in many instances. It's not good for everything and I still have a regular wedge but its definately a good usable tool. The narrow tapper at the point and the broad top make for a good wedge tool. imho

Latest posts

Back