Two chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
. AS Supporting Member.
My two saw plan is a 660 and a 362. Limbing saw to me is one that can easily power a 20" bar without effort so I don't have to bend over. 660 doesn't get used often but it sure was nice on the 46" white oak I cut up the main trunk in less than an hour. A 461 would be nice as well
My two saw plan is up to six. or is it seven? to the op. good luck in your venture.

longbowch

longbowch

ArboristSite Guru
I prefer the 441 over the 461, smoother running and m-tronic. I know some will disagree, but I have run both extensively and if I had a 260 and was deciding between the 2 I'd go 441.
If you really need massive power, which sounds like you don't, you could go 661.
I have that very setup. A 441cmr with a 28" bar and a 260 with a 16" bar. A great combo in my opinion. Now just to get them ported!

Tim in NY

Tim in NY

ArboristSite Member
I'd also recommend a small top handle for limbing - like the T192 mentioned above. If you can't afford 3 or more saws, take a good sharp axe with you. More than once I had all my saws either pinched or broke down and needed the axe to get things home before dark.
Tim

Farmertim

Farmertim

ArboristSite Operative
For what your cutting a 70+ cc saw and your good. I have a 372xp and 346xp and I want for nothing else. I would rather have 2 good saws, run them a lot, know them like the back of my hand than have a lot of extras saws to fill 'specific' needs. Unless your climbing why bother with a top handle - I never want another saw to limb than my 346 and I can continue to use it to buck until I need my 372. Invest in a second good quality saw 70+ cc and get to work. If ya get the itch later and can afford it go nuts, but you wont really need it. My 2 cents.

Tim

Toxic2

Toxic2

ArboristSite Operative
There is a reason why it is usually the professionals who use a t192 or t200. Dont listen to all the cowboys..lol..once you use a top handle saw you will never reach for that so called limbing saw ever again..;-)

griffonks

griffonks

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hi Cambellrw, welcome.
I think you have a pretty good plan and have chosen nice saws..... I showed up here with a pair of saws like 10 years ago and now I have like a dozen.... or 4 dozen.... I prefer Husqvarna, not that they are a lot better than Stihl's, but they are a little easier and cheaper for me to repair.

So, I usually run 262xp, 272xp, 395xp. I may have to go get a 362 to try against my nasty old 262xp's, I'm sure the stihl gets more wood cut to the gallon of fuel, but have my doubts about cutting speed.

There is a well known member here from PEI, named DSS. We call him the cow. I think he is a Campbell too. Any relation?

Jim Timber

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Big bars increase the weight and risk of getting knicked.

I like a 14" on my smallest saw, and 16" on my intermediate saw. 16" will take a decent size tree down without whittle cuts, and is plenty long for limbing, yet doesn't endanger your shins and toes.

Toxic2

Toxic2

ArboristSite Operative
I second the comment about shorter bars being safer for limbing..i run a 12 inch bar on my 192t...it also helps the saw cut faster.

Tree billy..my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it..nothing...you can use whatever saw you like and i will continue to use my tophandle..lol

treebilly

treebilly

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I tried. I prefer a 260 with a 18" bar and 3/8 chisel chain for limbing a down tree. I cut mostly with a 046 with a 20" bar and 3/8 chisel for firewood. I'll switch up to the 660, 28" bar for the real big stuff. 200's and 201's go up in the air with me.

chucker

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
bad part is,, that happened THREE times,, in the same day!!! ANNNDDDDD, only one time,, did I have to go home,, and get the FOURTH saw....twisted burr oak!!!! I only took out the fourth saw.. maybe I should have took three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:
it's the nature of the beast, "WANT/NEED" to never have enough!!?? lol