Two Saw Plan Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonsered 2153 2171
Husqvarna 346xp 372xp
Stihl MS260 MS460

You can't go wrong with any of these combos. Dealer and price would make the difference for me.

Since most of the wood I cut and slit are 18 to 30 inches, I opted for a 372XP with a Makita 6401 for back-up. Two great saws that are keeping me warm this heating season and for two more years thanks to their performance. Can't wait for the next delivery of wood :chainsaw:.

2 saw plan ??????

I dont think there is a such thing as a 2 saw plan if you know about this site. there is only I think I need another saw plan and another and another. LOL. Rick !!! :)

Last edited:
I dont think there is a such thing as a 2 saw plan if you know aout this site. there is only I think I need another saw plan and another and another. LOL. Rick !!! :)

Gotta agree Rick. Once you start cutting, you may "need" a larger saw for a tree or two, then maybe a smaller top handle for the real small stuff, etc.
How about go in the middle to start (361 or 372) and then decide whether you need a larger saw (adding another brand Solo 681) or a smaller saw.
Just thinking.
Chad

Got to love it when you say Stihl, Jonesred, or Husky and guys come back with all kinds of other brands.....

Very good post / questions, or at least I think so. I've only run Stihl, so I'd vote for the 260/460 combo. I've had several guys locally tell me that the Stihl saws with the newer numbering format suck, but I've had guys on here say there's little to no difference. I own two Stihl saws currently, and 024 and an 036, and they are currently working great for me. I run 18" .325 RS chain on both of them. It's nice having interchangeable chains and bars. Having said that, I have several Stihl dealerships around, they all do repair work, and all the ones that I have delt with suck, suck, suck, and suck some more. I've found 3 old guys that have their own repair shops around and they are excelent. They work on anything and everything and they know their crap inside and out. This as opposed to one of the local shops that I called up a few months ago. They couldn't even check my saw out that week because ALL of their techs were out at a STIHL class getting certified. What a joke. Must have been some top notch Techs that they managed to drag in off the street. Anyhow, before you let anyone work on your saws, check around and find out about their reputation first.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

How 'bout this one? :popcorn:
I heard STIHL's are now built in American. When you see the 0 off the front of the number, it's an American made saw.

Probably crap but that's what I heard. :Eye: :Eye:

How 'bout this one? :popcorn:
I heard STIHL's are now built in American. When you see the 0 off the front of the number, it's an American made saw.

Probably crap but that's what I heard. :Eye: :Eye:

For all the American Made stuff I have (2 pairs of $200+ Red Wings, etc.) I will come right out and say buy based on quality over all else. Not trying to start an argument, :cheers:.

Willsaw4beer I remember buying those high dollar boots years ago.
Anymore I buy the high-top hiking style boots from (Do I dare say) Walmart? Them little Chinese kids make a decent cheap boot. They may not last long but I like the lightness and price.

Willsaw4beer I remember buying those high dollar boots years ago.
Anymore I buy the high-top hiking style boots from (Do I dare say) Walmart? Them little Chinese kids make a decent cheap boot. They may not last long but I like the lightness and price.

I'm not going to condemn you for it, when I bought the first pair I was getting a ton of overtime. They are definately what they're cracked up to be, comfy and durable. I had a pair of Timberland Titanium toe in between that were very comfy but didn't last more than 10 mos. When I was working 55-80 hrs a week I wasn't going to put up with boots hurting my feet, but with the economy how it is these days you wear what you can afford. I've had my regular work boots for 2 years and my logger boots for 5+ years.

Yeah I'm lucky to get 6 months out of a pair. 'bout to buy another pair to go with my new saddle I bought today.

But I hear ya..When and if things pick up I may buy a good pair again one day. :cheers:

This brings me back to my first pair of comfort red wings with the soft soles. I tore those suckers up in the first week on the job (demo). Returned those pretty quick and got something else.
Buy what you need, not what you think would be the best all round.

This brings me back to my first pair of comfort red wings with the soft soles. I tore those suckers up in the first week on the job (demo). Returned those pretty quick and got something else.
Buy what you need, not what you think would be the best all round.

My RW loggers survived a year and then some in an aluminum foundry and are still in ok shape, no greater testament to durability than shoveling and running a rotalift 10 hrs a day.

I agree, buy based on quality. I still buy Redwings because they fit me, and they last, and I can buy them from an Amish shop near by for a pretty darn good price.

I hate Walmart and everything they sell. Their kind of buisness plan is why our economy is so screwed up. It's because of that kind of buisness that companies all across this country shifted their focus from quality to quantity. Even today, none of them get it. They still think that if they can make more of their crap for less money, they will survive this "recession." They don't realise that it doesn't matter how much crap they make, or how cheap it is, people can no longer afford to waste money buying a brand new turd. Besides, third world countries will ALWAYS be able to make turds cheaper than we can here in the states. There's always someone living in a grass hut, eating bugs, and drinking out of a waste filled stream that's willing to do a job for less than anyone else. Once your money leaves your community, it doesn't come back.

Make, Build, and Buy quality or go home.

Remember the tall black boots with the tall heals and 20 ft. of lace?
I think I got up a half hour early just to have the time to lace them up.
They weren't even comfortable but man I sure looked cool. :hmm3grin2orange:

You guys missed the soft soles. I think they toted them as comfort soles. Big mistake. They were about as hard as erasers. Was talking about the soles not the boots themselves. Still have a set of redwings, just never again with white soles.

To compare, if you are only cutting 3" wood, would you really pick up a 75cc saw? Buy what you need.
Hope this makes my last post a bit more sense.
Chad

Back