Ugh. It's "that" day for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the dreaded oil fill 6 weeks ago, our nice new stove is keeping the house toasty, but the hot water is oil fired. fortunatly it is a " combi system" that only heats water as we use it 500l will last they year hopefully. Currently looking into Solar hot water. A friend has 2 panels on his home, circa 4 feet square each, gives them all the hot water they need in summer, and brings the temp up in the winter so the boiler on has to work to get it up to temp!

(Week old) Connecticut Average:
$4.08/gallon for No. 2 Home Heating Oil
$2.82/gallon for Propane.

Figuring oil is more BTU dense but burns less efficiently...rule of thumb figure 1.4 gallons of Propane = 1 gallon of Oil...which gives you $3.95 for Propane BTU equivalent to one gallon of Oil

$1000 wouldn't even fill the typical 275 gallon oil tank anymore! I don't get how so many people carry such large mortgages these days, or afford to fill the oil tank three, four, five times a winter.

Natural Gas is running about 1/3rd the cost per BTU (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) compared to Oil or Propane in this area now.

Connecticut is 50% oil, 31% natural gas, 15% electric, and 4% propane...which is why there is now a lot of talk about massively expanding the natural gas grid.

ETA: At $4.08 oil, that's equivalent to $575/cord of hardwood.

Last edited:
I'm putting in a tankless HWH soon. It should help in my case. It's just me, the dog and the cat here, and they don't use hot water. I don't see how I can't save money by not keeping 40 gallons of water warm for the 23 hours a day I don't need it.

As I'm seeing, midwest propain prices are cheap compared to most of you. I paid $1.49+ the usual fees, worked out to about .06/gallon in added fees.

I _DID_ tell AS where the avatar pic is from. You must have missed it :D. Try the search :tongue2:

I'll have to look into these a little more. Sounds like it might work well for me, from one site I looked at: . My basement fits that bill VERY well when the stove is going. The downside is that it's another electric appliance.

If its just a couple of people, you can set it on heat pump only. Cost about $100 a year. In heat pump mode it only uses 600 watts. A generator will easily power that during outages.

We're on NG. Stove, water heater, and central air/heat. We only run the heat when the temps fluctuate a lot and it's too much of a PITA to light the woodstove for a short burn. NG cost is around $50/month for everything.

Pro-pain is 1.75 a gallon. That's the cheapest I've paid in a long time. 200 gallons delivered the other day. I got about 16 months out of 200 gallons last time I bought into the piracy and the tank was reading o% then. We still had 10% or so in the tank this time around heating just the hot water. I did my annual test fire of the l.p. furnace, let 'er run about 15 minutes and shut it down. Couldn't take the sound of it running!! My good wife, who is a strong and patient woman, says it's time to hook the water heater up to the OWB. Not a good time of the year for that kind of project,,,guess I'll start playin' "#### Tracy" and see what's involved.

Any suggestions on OWB hook up to hot water heater are welcome, P.M. me if ya' have any ideas.

Pro-pain is 1.75 a gallon. That's the cheapest I've paid in a long time. 200 gallons delivered the other day. I got about 16 months out of 200 gallons last time I bought into the piracy and the tank was reading o% then. We still had 10% or so in the tank this time around heating just the hot water. I did my annual test fire of the l.p. furnace, let 'er run about 15 minutes and shut it down. Couldn't take the sound of it running!! My good wife, who is a strong and patient woman, says it's time to hook the water heater up to the OWB. Not a good time of the year for that kind of project,,,guess I'll start playin' "#### Tracy" and see what's involved.

Any suggestions on OWB hook up to hot water heater are welcome, P.M. me if ya' have any ideas.

Not sure about how to hook it up but a lot of OWB users install a side arm for hot water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back