ultrasonic cleaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
got an ultrasonic cleaner for the express purpose of helping in my carb rebuilds. instructions say not to use with corrosive liquids. okay, i think i know, but is acetone corrosive. also, what do you other carb builders use in your ultrasonic cleaners?

I wouldn't put acetone in it.
It's not corrosive, but highly flammable with a low ignition point.
Whatever you put in there is going to get warm.
I use either diluted purple power or mineral spirit.

I wouldn't put acetone in it either. I believe Lakeside used Coleman lamp fuel in his. I use a mixture of awesome and water. Then use alcohol to rise the carb after cleaned. I just do not want to burn down the shop.

Last edited:
Purple power you can get at Walmart.
But it is prone to eat through aluminum.
If the carb is not to gunked up, standard dish soap works fine too.
Try a search on it; this topic has been discussed so many times before by people who know way more than I do.

That purple stuff is nasty! Dropped a carb in a container of that stuff to try it out and it immediately started fizzing like an Alka-Seltzer. I took the carb out immediately and it was fine - apparently I missed some of the fine print.

There's a company here locally that makes a product called "Incredible Pink" which I'm sure is like Simple Green, etc. It actually works really well cleaning stuff, but I haven't tried it in an ultra-sonic. It does have the tendency to get a little foamy when agitated. I would like to try an ultra-sonic cleaner here in the next couple of years.

That purple stuff is nasty! Dropped a carb in a container of that stuff to try it out and it immediately started fizzing like an Alka-Seltzer. I took the carb out immediately and it was fine - apparently I missed some of the fine print.

There's a company here locally that makes a product called "Incredible Pink" which I'm sure is like Simple Green, etc. It actually works really well cleaning stuff, but I haven't tried it in an ultra-sonic. It does have the tendency to get a little foamy when agitated. I would like to try an ultra-sonic cleaner here in the next couple of years.

Undiluted, PP is caustic as h#ll. It seems ok in diluted form, but I do find it can dull paint and plastic finishes if used in strong concentrations. The stuff I use these days is Oil Eater... I got mine at our local hardware store, but I've seen it at Walmart. It is absolutely the BOMB. It's a few more bucks per gallon than the PP, but is VERY easy on finishes and cleans oil, grime, and pitch like nobody's business. If you use it, you'll never go back.

I've gone halfsies with water in a UC and it did a nice job.

I'll have to look into it and see what I can find, thanks!

That's why they now make Simple green clear, it's non caustic.

Andy,
Simple Green makes an "aviation" grade detergent that is for use with Aluminum.

for the OP. I always leave my USC filled with water then use a small amount of mineral spirits or detergent (depending on the part being cleaned) in a glass jar or some sealable container. Its so much easier then cleaning out the cleaner every time and uses less "cleaner". I've used ziplock bags with some success as well. depends on the amount of crud removal desired.

Andy,

for the OP. I always leave my USC filled with water then use a small amount of mineral spirits or detergent (depending on the part being cleaned) in a glass jar or some sealable container. Its so much easier then cleaning out the cleaner every time and uses less "cleaner". I've used ziplock bags with some success as well. depends on the amount of crud removal desired.

you saying you add the spirits or detergent to the water already in the USC? i'm assuming afterward you pour it out and refill with clean water?

you saying you add the spirits or detergent to the water already in the USC? i'm assuming afterward you pour it out and refill with clean water?

Naw Jerry,
Water is always in the USC. I put the part I'm cleaning in a cup of the cleaning solution IN a sealed container IN the water. The vibrations work the same through the water into the container filled cleaner with parts. Water stays, schmutz and parts come out.

here's a pic of some files I was cleaning and the zip loc bags the rusty vinegar ...
attachment.php

Andy,

We use this stuff on our airplanes now, it's VERY good, and does not appear to have any sort of deleterious effect on finishes. I haven't tried it on a saw yet, but I have very high hopes. Based on what it does with baked on kerosene (*blech*) it should be pretty good on pitch.

They also have an Aviation formula that supposedly doesn't cause problems. However, there are still numerous posts, and recent, to boot, about the dangers of the stuff to the point that I won't use it.

I don't disagree with you one bit. I've never liked the stuff personally, I can't tell you how many aluminum rims I've seen destroyed by this stuff.

Back