Uneven cutters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten pretty good results at zero for the table. I do use 40* for the head tilt and 30* for top plate angle still.
40 for the head tilt will give a sharper cutter ,it's more personal preference where 30 will last a little longer ,keep in mind the thin stihl wheel ,after you grind ,a file won't fit so perfect unless you reshape some with it

also to the op ,are you grinding chisel or round cornered chain ?

here is a round cornered i did for my sawmill ,angles are 30 0 10 sawmill chain 039.jpgsawmill chain 039.jpg

Attachments

• sawmill chain 040.jpg
    sawmill chain 040.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
here is a chisel chain i was trying angles on 30 20 25 ,came out almost like a square grind
the pic with the square grinder in background is not the grinder i used ,i was using the light for the picture

stihl grinder usg 045.jpg stihl grinder usg 043.jpg

Attachments

• stihl grinder usg 044.jpg
    stihl grinder usg 044.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 19
Trx,
I am using semi chisel chain. (RM) Is that what your are calling round cornered?
That 3rd picture of chisel chain looks like it will eat some wood. Makes me want to go out in garage and mess with grinder now.

Trx,
I am using semi chisel chain. (RM) Is that what your are calling round cornered?
That 3rd picture of chisel chain looks like it will eat some wood. Makes me want to go out in garage and mess with grinder now.

yes semi i am calling round ,semi chisel is correct name ,those are all the same cutter ,just different angles,it feels real sharp to the touch but looks a little grabbier than the square i usually use so i have not done a full chain yet

here is one off the square grinder ,see the side plate has less hook than the ones on the usg
square chain 11-25-13 070.jpg

Back