Upstate NY GTG 2015

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this GTG seems like a go, although i have many saws, none are anything past a MM. still allowed? & learn at the show with my son? maybe return next year with something sweet to play with?

I'm in the same boat. It'll be good to run stock saws next to the ported ones. Just remember, there is no turning back. If you don't have CAD yet, you will after next Sunday!

Oh I've got it alright. my count of saws is nearing the 20's

I'd love to learn to port! Or even send out something. But preferably I'd want to pick up a really nice saw (brand new of course) and after playin with it, ship her out to see the difference. Hence attending this, maybe I'll get a chance to run a port job to see exactly which saw I pop wood over :laughing:

Maybe the Wildthang will be the first to ship!

I was thinkin the same, I'm sure others would consider buying. Excellent opportunity to test run before purchase

this GTG seems like a go, although i have many saws, none are anything past a MM. still allowed? & learn at the show with my son? maybe return next year with something sweet to play with?

Don't be thinking that way. This GTG is about more than just ported saws, so bring whatever you got. I may not bring any ported stuff at all. I mean how many worked 372's and such do we need to have there? I'm more interested in seeing saws that I don't see every day. I might just go off in a different direction and bring some older oddball saws; the "heavy metal" saws. Maybe a project or two to sort out.

As far as porting yourself goes, a lot can be gained with basic tools by anyone who can rebuild a saw, and some sharing of ideas with guys would be both fun and helpful. Granted, if you want to go all the way to the top, then you have to send it out to the pros; the guys that I refer to as the "big leagues". But, AAA ball is pretty good too, and you'd be surprised at what you can do yourself.

Don't be thinking that way. This GTG is about more than just ported saws, so bring whatever you got. I may not bring any ported stuff at all. I mean how many worked 372's and such do we need to have there? I'm more interested in seeing saws that I don't see every day. I might just go off in a different direction and bring some older oddball saws; the "heavy metal" saws. Maybe a project or two to sort out.

As far as porting yourself goes, a lot can be gained with basic tools by anyone who can rebuild a saw, and some sharing of ideas with guys would be both fun and helpful. Granted, if you want to go all the way to the top, then you have to send it out to the pros; the guys that I refer to as the "big leagues". But, AAA ball is pretty good too, and you'd be surprised at what you can do yourself.
spike 60 ,I was just down your way on my bike.your not far at all from me.I have a couple odd balls I might bring if I can get them up in running in time .I love the older saws ,40s-60s

I do have an older Stihl 045 that I was considering to make a project out of, maybe someone else can make use of it. I'd damn near trade that and a couple other project parts/saws to get a 261/262xp goin with a 262 P&C. Maybe the cylinder can be saved but I'll let the pros decide that.

Anyone gonna have a 262 up and running? Maybe even ported? Funny thing is, it's my favorite saw even though I've never run it. Yet anyway haha!

Husky Saws Iam bringing to have fun with . 2-3120, 181e,281,380,480,2100,2101,266,353 ported myself.

No 262xp? Dyin to run one to see what the fuss is about and mine won't be up and runnin till I get the parts

Well by next years gtg I'll def have mine up and goin, hopefully masterminded

anyone have suggestion for the route from the canadian border.

last time I went in 2013 I took the 87 all the way down but this time I'm thinking I will try the 89 then rte 7 then 22a then 23 then 40 then rte 29. any locals know a reason not to take that route. Google maps has 30 miles less but the same travel time. Any of those roads dirt??

since we are talking swap meet, I have an stihl 021 (my first saw) with low compression scored cylinder I need to get rid of. it has a slightly used 16 " bar .325 .063 gauge and new crank seals comes with three chains one RM safety, one RM and an RS

anyone have suggestion for the route from the canadian border.

last time I went in 2013 I took the 87 all the way down but this time I'm thinking I will try the 89 then rte 7 then 22a then 23 then 40 then rte 29. any locals know a reason not to take that route. Google maps has 30 miles less but the same travel time. Any of those roads dirt??

since we are talking swap meet, I have an stihl 021 (my first saw) with low compression scored cylinder I need to get rid of. it has a slightly used 16 " bar .325 .063 gauge and new crank seals comes with three chains one RM safety, one RM and an RS
87 is the quickest

Latest posts

Back