Use same bar and chain on two machines - 3/8" or .325?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Same old discussion, with specifics. I want to use the same bar and chain on my two chainsaws; a Jonsered 455 44.3 cc (now .325) and a Partner Formula 5000 42.2cc (now 3/8"). I have more or less decided on a common 16" bar and .325 for both, which means switching the 3/8" sprocket on the Partner to .325. Is that the right decision?

The 3/8" you are talking about obviously is 3/8 low profile/Picco, and my guess is the Partner has a 6-pin spur sprocket. I assume the 455 has a .325x7.

Either option will be OK on both saws, but I doubt you can find the hardware to do either conversion easily. Keep in mind that a regular 3/8 sprocket don't match with 3/8 low profile/Picco chain.

I will get someone to do this for me. It looks like both the Partner Formula 5000 and the Jonsered 455 can take the same .325" x 7 pretty common Husqvarna parts. So that's 16" .325" pitch bars, .050 guage, 7 tooth sprocket for both machines. That equates to same files and all the rest of it for both machines. Right decision?

I will get someone to do this for me. It looks like both the Partner Formula 5000 and the Jonsered 455 can take the same .325" x 7 pretty common Husqvarna parts. So that's 16" .325" pitch bars, .050 guage, 7 tooth sprocket for both machines. That equates to same files and all the rest of it for both machines. Right decision?

Ok, if possible - but I suggest a Narrow Kerf (Pixel) setup, not a regular one.

Anyway, it hardly is worth the trouble.

Same old discussion, with specifics. I want to use the same bar and chain on my two chainsaws; a Jonsered 455 44.3 cc (now .325) and a Partner Formula 5000 42.2cc (now 3/8"). I have more or less decided on a common 16" bar and .325 for both, which means switching the 3/8" sprocket on the Partner to .325. Is that the right decision?

Welcome to A.S.!

I use the narrow kerf .325 on a Husqvarna 353, because that is what it came with. It has worked well for me on that larger saw (51.7 cc). Either that or the 3/8 low profile (Stihl 'Picco') as SawTroll said.

P.S. I hope that you are saying that you want to use the same TYPE of bar and chain on both saws, or that you would like to be able to switch your BARS and CHAINS (both plural) between saws. Having only one bar or chain for multiple saws is not a good idea. One value of having several saws is the ability to be able to switch if one bar gets stuck or a chain is damaged. I like having an extra bar and at least 3 chains per saw.

While it would be nice to only have one type/size of chain that would fit all the different saws I use, I gave up on that a long time ago.

Philbert

Sorry. Of course, individual bar and chain for each saw. Same type of (= identical specs) bars and chains for two roughly equivalent saws. It would make things much easier for me.

OK. I have ordered the parts. Narrow kerf chain as you advise. Thanks. Changing the sprocket does not look so difficult, so I will do it myself.

Back