used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs111999

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know its a no no but has anyone figured out how to filter used synthetic motor oil to make it into bar oil??

It is much easier to go to Wal Mart or any farm and garden store and buy a gallon of it for under 10 bucks. Hell the Super Tech bar and chain oil at Wal Mart (In the automotive section) is like 6 or 7 bucks. Even if you find a way to filter waste oil down it still will not have that sticky stuff in it to stick to the bar ad chain.

that just sounds like a bad idea and to me i just don't think it would be worth doing when you get a gallon of husqvarna bar and chain oil for 7 bucks.

i run used motor oil in my saws but its filtered i filter it down with a centrifuge i mainly use the waste oil in my skidder and dump truck as fuel but i have run it in my saws when i run out of bar oil and too lazy to go buy more.

Filtering won't be enough. I wonder how you intend to filter carcinogens etc. You might need something like charcol filter elements etc. Bar oil is cheap so this is a worthless discussion.

edit: I have used old engine oil as impregnation for fence posts and outdoor wooden structure's. Dry wood absorbs it nicely and it should keep the wood safe for a few years.

Last edited:
I have seen, but never used, a filter designed for old motor oil. It had a hand pump, and used a roll of toilet paper for the filter. I do not know brand name, or if anything like that is out there now, this was like decades ago.

I have seen, but never used, a filter designed for old motor oil. It had a hand pump, and used a roll of toilet paper for the filter. I do not know brand name, or if anything like that is out there now, this was like decades ago.

I had a Studebaker truck that had the cannister for the toilet paper roll to filter the oil. I learned my lesson on this when I gummed up the oil pump on a 361 Poulan back in 1979.

Yea, any good automotive store that has painting supplies will have a toilet paper roll filter. It is designed to filter out moisture and debris out of a air system before the paint gun. It has actual cartridges not toilet paper rolls but they work also. I guess add your own pump! CJ

I know its a no no but has anyone figured out how to filter used synthetic motor oil to make it into bar oil??

When I was Living out in the Hills of SE Ohio in the 80's used to strain used motor oil thru old tee shirts and then add STP. One guy I used to know, who was a mechanic in a deep coal mine, used to get gear oil and cut it with kerosene. Pants I wore when I used it could never get the stink out!! Had to wear them when I went cutting with him. Was the first guy I ever knew who did a MM on his chainsaws!! Interesting guy!! :msp_biggrin:

read up on filtering used motor oil in backwoodsman magazine a few months ago.take cotton rope and put in the container of used oil.let it drop down into a clean container and let gravity do the rest.i'm assuming that cotton rope is what would be needed.

Ya know....you can easily cut out the middle man here folks. Just buy a roll of Charmin double ply and stuff 61 sheets in the oil tank of your saw then fill with any old oil. Dont use 62 sheets or bad things will happen ! Jeff

Frantz Oil Filters

This could probably be modded for that.

Seriously , try something that's called Gary Goo . It's fairly popular here at A/S .
Do a search for the exact formula . I'm pretty sure it's both cheaper ,and more effective than used motor oil .

I remember Frantz filters from back in the 50's when many engines didn't originally have any kind of filter.

I ran used motor oil in my saw for some 30 years without ever having a problem. I strained it though a panty hose.

Please! Don't used burnt motor oil in your saw. For those of us who repair them it is a royal pain (and most of the time NEVER comes off). I'd like to lock my vise grips on the end of the nose of the first guy who did this and started telling his friends:mad2:

Besides the angry factor it is not designed to stick to your bar and to cool properly. Save yourself and your saw! :chainsaw:

Back when I was a kid living on the farm back in the 50s, my father used to routinely buy reprocessed motor oil for his pickup truck, a 1939 Chevrolet. At the time I remember that a quart of regular virgin motor oil cost about thirty cents a quart versus about fifteen cents a quart for reprocessed oil. I remember opening the oil can with a "church key" on opposite sides of the can top and pouring the oil into the engine. The reprocessed oil was clear with a greenish brown color and it looked little if any different than virgin motor oil.

I have no idea if using reprocessed motor oil was good or bad for the engine, all I know is we only got about 100 miles/quart of oil and the reprocessed oil saved us a good deal of money, something that was as scarce as hen's teeth on the farm.

I suspect that reprocessed motor oil wouldn't be much if any worse than using regular motor for chain and bar lubrication, both of which are probably environmental contaminents.

Latest posts

Back