Used Stihl Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivadesl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Saw an add today for the following:

stihl chain saw 16" model 024 with case and extra chain like new $200
stihl chain saw model 021 16" with case extra chain $175
stihl chain saw model 011 14" very little use.$100.

I take it these are "homeowner" grade? Any of these worth looking at? I'm thinking the 024, I could use something to replace my Echo for limbing etc. What are these comparable to in Stihls current lineup? Thanks.

the 024 is a good saw. It would be identicle to an MS 260 with a slightly smaller bore size. In fact, if you can find an 024 with a bad P&C, you can easily build an 026 by changing the piston and cylinder, and some plastic, and the air cleaner.
Would make a good trim saw or limbing saw...easily modified with good results.

Scott.

Thanks. What do you think of the price on the 024? Obviously condition is the biggest factor, but if you break it down, figure the case and chain is worth what, $25? Would you pay $175 for this saw in average condition? What did it go for new?

in the 'grand' scheme of things they arent that badly priced...

you could walk into my local dealer today and pick up a brand new ms240 w16" b&c for only $850... or a 210 with 14"b&c for only $520...

you could make $300 selling a manky siezed 024 without a bar and chain on ebay here...

Man looks like you need to buy all 3 and send them to the UK market.
Holy Duck :jawdrop:

the 024 is a good saw. It would be identicle to an MS 260 with a slightly smaller bore size. In fact, if you can find an 024 with a bad P&C, you can easily build an 026 by changing the piston and cylinder, and some plastic, and the air cleaner.

Scott.

You can do this "ONLY" if its an 024 super. The stroke on a regular 024 is 2mm shorter than an 026.

Scott.

Yes, it is a good saw, and actually a pro saw, but that price seem too high for an old used one.

..and you can only rebuild it into an 026 if it is an 024Super - if not, it has a shorter stroke....

Last edited:
They all seem to high priced to me for the saws they are.

Is that 024 like new, or if its average for that year. I would say if its 80% like new with a good extra chain $200 is not bad. You can probably use it several years and it will still have a decent resale value even as a parts saw on ebay. I would offer him less first if I wanted it and give him his bottom $. The 021 and 011 look priced at the high side of what they might be worth to me.
If you were to buy a new ms250 would be in the $300 range.
Around here good used stihls are in high demand,usually far from cheap. About 3 years ago with a new lemon saw and an accident with my 066 mag I had a saw shortage in my firewood business. I stuggled to find decent replacements that led me to trading and selling some of the lesser saws that I picked up ( mostly fixer uppers) and I worked back up to some good pro saws. Now I look for Stihl saws I can buy to fix, use and resale. I advertised in a local paper 4 stihls, and a partner this spring and the first day sold 5 stihls, 2 ms310's, 2 041's, and my personal 026 pro that I never advertised. 1 week later I had a call for the Partner and sold it.

Back