Using a chainsaw isn't as easy as I thought.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lean how to file properly, including the rakers. A sharp chain is very important to your saw,it should pull itself through the wood with out having to push at all. If filed properly! oregon makes a little filing guide book that has some good pointers. Good Luck fighting C.A.D

That's not a good idea. No, it's mandatory, if any saw is to get work done. It's the key.

Granberg and Oregon clamp-on-bar file guides are IMHO the only ones worth a spit for quickly, with minimum metal removal, getting cutters razor-sharp. And, I'm guessing about the Oregon.

When to sharpen: eventually, you'll know from look/touch. When output turns from chips to dust, when you hear anything "funny" near the chain or see sparks. Taking five to touch up the cutters is a useful break.

When pinching is possible, be ready in an instant to pull the saw straight back out of the cut. Don't bend it! Beforehand, make sure that nothing will be in the way. Note that this makes long bar sub-optimum.

Running a saw well and safely is like the joke about getting to Carnegie Hall: practice, practice, practice.

If someone on here claims they never pinch bars there are two possible reasons:
1. They never cut wood.
2. They're a liar.

With experience the frequency between bar pinches will become greater. Just keeping an eye on the kerf (the gap in the wood the saw made) will help as it will generally start to visibly close with enough warning for you to withdraw the bar. If you do get the saw stuck, do not reef on it trying to get it loose, release it by either jacking up the log, wedging, or in some cases cutting with another saw to take off the pressure. If you don't have a second saw (you will soon, lol) then either a handsaw or a second bar and chain for your single saw can get you out of the jam.

Go easy and learn as you go. It can be a rewarding pastime and can be done with a relative degree of safety. Do get some personal protective equipment (ppe) as suggested by a previous poster. It is cheap by any measure.

I got pinched today only because i have weak groundies that couldn't pull a 15ft trunk against the lean and it sat back on my bar so out came the wedges and i had to say "c'mon ladies lets start pulling now" LOL it gets em all riled up.

Please be very careful chainsaws are extremely dangers. take your time and by all means think about what you are doing. It only takes a split second to error.

And if you don't already have them, please get some chainsaw chaps and a helmet with faceshield. Chainsaw injuries are serious and not something you want to see/experience.

Eric

+++1 for that. At the very least, gloves, eye protection, and chaps.

When to sharpen: eventually, you'll know from look/touch. When output turns from chips to dust, when you hear anything "funny" near the chain or see sparks. Taking five to touch up the cutters is a useful break.

The best advice I got about chain sharpening is to file at every third tank and flip the bar every third filing. It becomes such a habit that it's second nature and I never have to wonder about sharpening - it happens by itself. Plus that kind of timing seems to provide a perfectly placed break from cutting for me, allows the saw to cool if I'm cutting hard, and makes me refocus. All good things.

Welcome aboard.

Never listen to your friend who always tells you "Just fall it against the lean, you can do it, I've seen you do it". Never listen to that jacka$$.

I was very fortunate to learn from a seasoned faller, it definitely flattened the learning curve.

You will get better with time. Your definatley right about chainsawing not being as easy as it looks. I can remember back when I was young my dad ran a small tree service and I would help him alot. I dragged brush, hauled and stacked wood, cleaned saws, and all of the "hard work". I always wanted to run a saw so I wouldnt have to work so hard. HUH was I wrong in that thinking!!! Now I do all the sawing. NOT as easy as it looks. But I do enjoy it. Its hard work but it feels good.:smile2:

Except for the tree service part it was the same for me. When I finally got to run the old Homelite I found real quick that it wasn't as easy as it looked. Like you I find that cutting wood is hard but enjoyable work.

First let me say I have not ran a chainsaw much in my life. When I did it was a borrowed Poulan. I have some dead pine trees in my yard that have fallen or are close to it. 3-4 total and maybe 16 -18 inches in diameter for the biggest. I do not cut firewood but every once in a while but the saw can come in handy at work and helping family.

I decided to get online and research for my needs. I ended up with a Stihl MS250. It is a homeowner saw as you all know and at the most I figure I would put 2-4 tanks a year through it so pro models seemed overkill. Also,the dealer was close and outside of Lowes I couldn't find any dealers close for Husqvarna,Dolmar,Echo etc. I wanted somewhere that worked on the saws if I had problems.

I researched here and watched many videos including the Stihl instructional videos. I also bought a wedge after learning about them. I ran a tank through it yesterday getting started and I have to say it is harder than I thought it would be. The worst for me has been determining compression and stress points. It seems chain pinch is very easy to do. (for me anyway)

I have been watching videos determining different cuts for different situations but sometimes it still starts to catch. I have learned a lot but my hat goes off to those who do it for a living. I think my best bet is to practice as much as possible on small stuff. This site has been great for learning also.

Cutting trees that have fallen especially if they have been dead long enough to get punky can be tricky. Watch out for waht the root ball is doing. It is wise to practice on the small stuff. When I cut wood weither it is felling or bucking I take my time and think things out as I go. Rushing only makes you tired faster and can lead to mistakes that can be painful or even fatal.

First let me say I have not ran a chainsaw much in my life. When I did it was a borrowed Poulan. I have some dead pine trees in my yard that have fallen or are close to it. 3-4 total and maybe 16 -18 inches in diameter for the biggest. I do not cut firewood but every once in a while but the saw can come in handy at work and helping family. I decided to get online and research for my needs. I ended up with a Stihl MS250. It is a homeowner saw as you all know and at the most I figure I would put 2-4 tanks a year through it so pro models seemed overkill. Also,the dealer was close and outside of Lowes I couldn't find any dealers close for Husqvarna,Dolmar,Echo etc. I wanted somewhere that worked on the saws if I had problems. I researched here and watched many videos including the Stihl instructional videos. I also bought a wedge after learning about them. I ran a tank through it yesterday getting started and I have to say it is harder than I thought it would be. The worst for me has been determining compression and stress points. It seems chain pinch is very easy to do. (for me anyway) I have been watching videos determining different cuts for different situations but sometimes it still starts to catch. I have learned a lot but my hat goes off to those who do it for a living. I think my best bet is to practice as much as possible on small stuff. This site has been great for learning also.

Hi Reyn and welcome to the forum. That 250 is a dandy saw. She'll do everything you will ever ask of a chain saw and then some. Take good care of her and she'll last you a lifetime. Go to Youtube and watch a whole bunch of videos on cutting firewood, chainsaws, etc. You'll get better with practice and patience. Be safe, and take someone (anyone, your wife, or girlfriend, or both) along when you're cutting just in case something goes wrong. I always keep my cell phone with me to, just in case.

Don <><

attachment.php

+1 on what Don said. Going cutting alone is asking for trouble. Too much can happen waaaay too fast. Russ

I'm still practicing and working on getting more experience , it is not easy work but I enjoy it .
I did get pinched here and here , happens to me a couple time per gallon per job , I guess I need more practice .

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back