Visit to the ER

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always have said that Chainsaws are like Vehicles. Breaking your concentration, even for a Jiffy is when something bad happens. Over 20 years of using Chainsaws, I haven't been injured YET running one. Luckily your injury was just a "love bite". Jiffy is actually a unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

You been running chainsaws since you were seven?

I'm really sorry you got bit, thank God it wasn't worse than it was.
It happens in an instant, particularly if you are a bit tired.
Got some chaps last year because I honestly didn't know about them until then. No reason to get complacent, but they sure offer an extra measure of safety, and thought they might just keep me from bleeding out before I could drive to the hospital, as I usually don't have a partner to work with. Really glad you're relatively okay, and wish you the best.

PPE or not, it's the rare man who hasn't at some point gotten hurt at his work. Glad it wasn't any more serious.

Thanks for posting as a reminder to all of us that regardless of our motive (work or play), chainsaws demand our attention. Ron

PPE or not, it's the rare man who hasn't at some point gotten hurt at his work. Glad it wasn't any more serious.

Thanks for posting as a reminder to all of us that regardless of our motive (work or play), chainsaws demand our attention. Ron

Definetly rare. If you do something dangerous long enough, you're going to get hurt. Only thing you can do is do what you can to make yourself as safe as possible. Protective gear, watching what you are doing, resting when tired, etc.
An old farmer I used to work for always told me that you get hurt when you're paying attention, you get killed when you're not.

I have cut lag one time that needed stitches. A few times that did'nt. And once I hit my leg with the saw after just letting off the trigger and I think it would have been a bad one if the pliers in my pocket had not bounced the chain off of my leg.
Falling limbs are just as bad. Have to keep ya eyes to the treetops while felling. I have been hit by a pretty big limb last year while felling a partially rotted big Red Oak. It was terrible pain and I'm lucky it was'nt worse. It just skimmed down my back instead of making direct contact. 8ft long by about 8-9" thick. Would have smashed my skull more than likely.

You been running chainsaws since you were seven?

Sure have though nothing on the large side like a Stihl Magnum. Thank "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Franchise and a family that makes the ones on the Jerry Springer Show look like the Partridge Family. Can't count how many times the Michigan State Police dragged my rearend home for terrorizing my Peers with a Chainsaw. It's NOT something that I'm very proud of and I try to keep my mind as busy as possible so I don't think about it that much.

Sure have though nothing on the large side like a Stihl Magnum. Thank "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Franchise and a family that makes the ones on the Jerry Springer Show look like the Partridge Family. Can't count how many times the Michigan State Police dragged my rearend home for terrorizing my Peers with a Chainsaw. It's NOT something that I'm very proud of and I try to keep my mind as busy as possible so I don't think about it that much.

I should have known you would have a story for this.. Sorry for doubting. But did you ever cut any wood?

You boys have had some influence on this old hard head.
Bought pair of chaps last fall , figured cheaper and easer
than the trip to the ER since I cut by myself alot of the time :hmm3grin2orange:

When the saw hits the chaps you say “****” and you feel your wallet get a little empty. When the saw hit your leg you say “oh F***” as you drain yourself of some blood.

The last time I was in the ER for a minor injury (not chainsaw related) was for what ended up being an X-ray, irrigation/cleaning, tetanus shot, antibiotic shot, and 3 stitches in my foot. The bill would have easily covered a new MS660. Yep that's how I think now--money spent on preventable ER visits is measured in saws and truck payments.

I have been bit several times over the past 30 years, but never anything serious thank G_d.... Never needed stitches or anything like that. (Well, not from chainsaws at least. Sheet metal is another story.... )

1. Get some chaps~
  2. Heal fast!

Luckily I only got bit by residual momentum - my 036 Pro would've eaten my leg for lunch had the chain actually been under power at the time. Oh well...boy, do I feel stupid.

This is the right attitude to have after such an episode. You have earned new respect for the machine, you are aware of your good fortune in that things could have ended up worse, and you clearly hope to avoid a repeat of this misadventure. Thank you for sharing -- we're all better-equipped for it.

After being a mechanic on cars, trucks, farm equipment, grounds equipment and anything else with a motor on it I can tell you that none of them have respect for us Humans. they will turn on you in a heartbeat and have you wondering , wtf just happened. I have plenty of scars, stiches and memories of all the instances that caused me pain and I think about them now when I spend more time with a chainsaw. I've had some close calls with the saws as well and one thing is for sure THEY DON'T CARE so we should. Heal fast and get back at it but remember what got you to the couch, The slightest inattention. That's all it takes.

Back