volks-man's echo 440 vs stihl 026 comparo results

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
the saws:
echo cs-440, a few months old. 18" bar 33lg chain. mild muffler mod. tuned just below max rpm. full of fluids as set up weight is 14.5 lbs

stihl 026, early model (old air filter type). 16" bar rsc chain. mild muffler mod. tuned just below max rpm. full of fluids as set up weight is 14.6 lbs

i weighed both saws on my wife's digital scale (no she wasn't happy). both saws running 4 day old super with stihl ultra 50:1. both saws start, idle, and cut perfectly. i cut a 14" piece of cherry in to cookies while the wife timed me. both saws warmed up before timing and left idling between cuts.
after cutting the round up i cut noodled a piece of red oak in half for giggles and timed that also.

the results:

echo in cherry: 28 seconds.

stihl in cherry: 18 seconds.

echo noodling: 25 seconds.

stihl noodling: 18 seconds.

i may need to rethink my saw line-up after this.

the results:

echo in cherry: 28 seconds.

stihl in cherry: 18 seconds.

echo noodling: 25 seconds.

stihl noodling: 18 seconds.

I stand by my comments in another thread. The CS440 is a pitiful excuse for a saw.
I've done timed tests in 10" cherry with my 346 and 5100. I won't bother you with the results but in 14" wood the 5100 could just about half those times. The 346 less than a 1/4th. The CS440 I didn't even bother as I got tired of holding the stop watch.

I stand by my comments in another thread. The CS440 is a pitiful excuse for a saw.
I've done timed tests in 10" cherry with my 346 and 5100. I won't bother you with the results but in 14" wood the 5100 could just about half those times. The 346 less than a 1/4th. The CS440 I didn't even bother as I got tired of holding the stop watch.

is that salt or lemon you are rubbing in my wounds?

I bought my FIL a 5100 this year and he wouldn't care if I threw the 440 in a lake now. The kicker is I paid less for it than he did the 440.The ported 346 is the same cc's and not exaggerating it 5x's faster or better. I've been taught well by others here.

I bought my FIL a 5100 this year and he wouldn't care if I threw the 440 in a lake now. The kicker is I paid less for it than he did the 440.The ported 346 is the same cc's and not exaggerating it 5x's faster or better. I've been taught well by others here.

Ported.:dizzy: ...........Stock I like the 5100 better for firewood.......Price is better too...

the saws:
echo cs-440, a few months old. 18" bar 33lg chain. mild muffler mod. tuned just below max rpm. full of fluids as set up weight is 14.5 lbs

stihl 026, early model (old air filter type). 16" bar rsc chain. mild muffler mod. tuned just below max rpm. full of fluids as set up weight is 14.6 lbs

You're not really comparing apples to apples. You either have to run both saws with either a 16" bar or 18" bar and, to be fair, the chains have to be the same as well. Either both RSC or 33LG. The validity of the test is compromised by both those factors. Don't forget same chain size and same number of sprocket teeth.

Last edited:
i wondered why nobody was picking his test apart. i though it was because the stihl won.

:cheers:

You're not really comparing apples to apples.

Volks,

I just read your other post where you were testing the saws as they were set up for your use.

Even so, all things must be equal. I am not sure where those two saws fit in your cutting set up:

For example: I run a 357XP with a 20" bar for bucking and a MS260 with 16" bar for limbing and smaller cuts. When would you use those saws in relation to one another? I hope that you are not using the Echo for bucking, just because it has a larger bar. I would assume that it should be the other way around. Put a larger bar on the 260 and a smaller bar on the CS-440 and that will make better use of the two saws. The CS-440 is much better suited for a 16" bar than an 18". I am assuming they come set up like that because my buddies is the same way.

I would be interested in some timed cuts from both saws if they were set up identically. In no way, do I think the CS-440 would be faster than the 260, but the gap in the times would close a bit.

Last edited:
You're not really comparing apples to apples. You either have to run both saws with either a 16" bar or 18" bar and, to be fair, the chains have to be the same as well. Either both RSC or 33LG. The validity of the test is compromised by both those factors. Don't forget same chain size and same number of sprocket teeth.

more like apple to pears i guess.

as i said in my previous thread with similar name... the point was to compare the two as they appeared in my line-up. fact is i thought the echo was right there with stihl. i believed it right up to the last cut and the wife told me the numbers. after this test i feel i could put safety chain and a 20" bar on the stihl and the echo would still lose. fact is that the saws are of a similar physical size and displacement and each set up in a typical way.

say you see a guy in the woods with a 440, he probably would be using this set up. same for the 026. fact is, in a typical setup cutting similar wood, the stihl spanked the echo.

did i mention i like echo?

more like apple to pears i guess.

as i said in my previous thread with similar name... the point was to compare the two as they appeared in my line-up. fact is i thought the echo was right there with stihl. i believed it right up to the last cut and the wife told me the numbers. after this test i feel i could put safety chain and a 20" bar on the stihl and the echo would still lose. fact is that the saws are of a similar physical size and displacement and each set up in a typical way.

say you see a guy in the woods with a 440, he probably would be using this set up. same for the 026. fact is, in a typical setup cutting similar wood, the stihl spanked the echo.

did i mention i like echo?

It's okay that you like Echo. To each their own.
The 250 will even outcut the Echo. Been there, did it and laughed the whole time. The Echo rep was even using Stihl chain. He said it makes his saw cut faster.LOL:cheers:

Volks,

I just read your other post where you were testing the saws as they were set up for your use.

Even so, all things must be equal. I am not sure where those two saws fit in your cutting set up:

For example: I run a 357XP with a 20" bar for bucking and a MS260 with 16" bar for limbing and smaller cuts. When would you use those saws in relation to one another? I hope that you are not using the Echo for bucking, just because it has a larger bar. I would assume that it should be the other way around. Put a larger bar on the 260 and a smaller bar on the CS-440 and that will make better use of the two saws. The CS-440 is much better suited for a 16" bar than an 18". I am assuming they come set up like that because my buddies is the same way.

I would be interested in some timed cuts from both saws if they were set up identically. In no way, do I think the CS-440 would be faster than the 260, but the gap in the times would close a bit.

i bought the echo to cut firewood with 18 bar and added a better chain.
the 026 was a friends i was supposed to fix. he then gave it to me set up like i described. after tweaking the 026 i thought 'man this is a strong little saw!'. playing around in the yard i would use the echo one day and the stihl the next. i got to thinking that the stihl was no stronger than the echo.

so i kinda did the test to determine the line-up.
i have not taken both saws in to the woods together at all.

at this time, as lopsided as this test is, if i had to take one saw in to the woods to fell and buck stuff up to 16"...... i will now be taking the stihl.
wouldn't you?:cheers:

Echo's are not bad saws but they don't seem to make good power or speed stock. I remember reading on here of a WHS modded CS670 that ran great. I would not doubt Volk's tests at all.

CC for CC and weight for weight, gimme a Stihl or Dolmar. My local Echo guy has saws that are made of gold..........his prices reflect this also.:dizzy: :dizzy:

sorry guys, for the apparent inconsistencies.

i should have made it clear that my 'test' was not supposed to be fair and balanced. both of these saws based on size and bar length could have been my mid sized saw.
i tested them with common setups in the same wood and made a decision.

the lineup in the woods will now be:
echo cs-346 for junk and limbing.
stihl 026 for smaller felling and bucking.
stihl ms361 for larger felling and bucking.

the 440 is now the red-headed step child. it will notsee much use any more.

my next test:
346xp 24" bar and safety chain vs 5100 14" bar and full chisel.
I would run them both with full comp chisel chain on a 16" bar. Move both bar and chain to other saw for the test.

Latest posts

Back