Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem that the Walbro 199 had that was the reason for replacement was an inability to transition from idle to WOT, not fixable with the hi/lo adjustment or a standard Walbro rebuild kit. Most times the saw would start and idle just fine but could not get to WOT throttle without the use of the choke or trigger feathering, eventually it would just not transition at all.

Some of the saws straight out of the box had carbs that were very iffy and did not take long to fail. Many of the Walbro replacement carbs failed in the same fashion.

When the problem first starts to present itself it may be "fixed" by a readjustment of the hi/lo, possibly a kit, sometimes that would last for a good bit. Many of the carbs that have been replaced have had the limiters clipped or removed. Many have almost new carb kits in them.

If carb is flooding out or will not idle and no non factory carb modifications have been made then that is a different issue.

Most of the carbs do not have a worn out A pump, the circuit is just plugged.

Buy the Zama.

I don't like the Zama. :msp_thumbdn:

Hater.

I do not like 359s.

Seems to be the general consensus that the Zama doesn't exactly light the world on fire as a replacement and a "fixed" 199 is the desired way to go if you can.

So why don't 346's with HD199's have the same problems as the 357's/359's? Don't think I've seen that addressed anywhere, or just may have missed it along the line? Just a matter of the displacement difference requiring a bit too much out of the carb design on a 357? Or just a production run thing that happens to be coincidental with the 357's/359's?

And I suppose if I were Husky and went through as much aggravation over the Walbro as was the case, I'd probably look at other alternatives, too. As for shop efficiency in replacing the carb, I can see that as a practical policy. Matter of fact, that's pretty much how I ended up with my 357xp. Got it from a Husky dealer with a roached top end and the plastic intake problem. Husky simply replaced the power head for the owner on a warranty basis and didn't even want the bad unit back due to the problem being so prevalent. I got it and two 55's as pieces in boxes (one a closed port) for seventy bux. (One of my better days scroungin' for sure!)

So about HD199's on 346's....

Anyone?

Last edited:
Seems to be the general consensus that the Zama doesn't exactly light the world on fire as a replacement and a "fixed" 199 is the desired way to go if you can.

So why don't 346's with HD199's have the same problems as the 357's/359's? Don't think I've seen that addressed anywhere, or just may have missed it along the line? Just a matter of the displacement difference requiring a bit too much out of the carb design on a 357? Or just a production run thing that happens to be coincidental with the 357's/359's?

And I suppose if I were Husky and went through as much aggravation over the Walbro as was the case, I'd probably look at other alternatives, too. As for shop efficiency in replacing the carb, I can see that as a practical policy. Matter of fact, that's pretty much how I ended up with my 357xp. Got it from a Husky dealer with a roached top end and the plastic intake problem. Husky simply replaced the power head for the owner on a warranty basis and didn't even want the bad unit back due to the problem being so prevalent. I got it and two 55's as pieces in boxes (one a closed port) for seventy bux. (One of my better days scroungin' for sure!)

So about HD199's on 346's....

Anyone?

I ain't never seen a 199 on a 346 from the factory.

Do you like pie?

How about bacon?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how important are unicorns to you?

Have fun folks there are logs to mill, dirt to move and 359s to hate, lunch is over.

Love pie.......bacon is a food group, Right?

Unicorns don't even blip my radar........

Play safe out there. :cheers:

Isn't there one on your 346? Seems like I asked you about it last year at Bill's and may actually be where I may have gotten the notion they were the stock carb.

:confused:

Yes, many of us have a 199 on our 346, but they come from a 357/359. I also have all the rest of the 357/359 intake tract on my saw, all the way from the filter to the intake boot.

I ain't never seen a 199 on a 346 from the factory.

No surprice there - but the very first ones (1999/2000 or so) did have (smaller) Walbro carbs, that alledgedly had the same issues as the 190-series (190, 191, 198, 199).
I assume those can be fixed the same way?

I sometimes need a high speed jet added to a 3120 carb......I send it to someone else. That way I can keep porting. The WT-199 is other carb that I send to have done. If someone has taken their hard earned time and learned how to do this.......I'm all about helping them make a few buck from that knowledge.

WT??? :msp_confused:

Yes, many of us have a 199 on our 346, but they come from a 357/359. I also have all the rest of the 357/359 intake tract on my saw, all the way from the filter to the intake boot.

That must be where I got off track in my thinking, then. Sorry for the diversion and 'preciate the clarification.

But the earth IS still flat, right?:laugh:

:cheers:

Back