Wanna hear a good one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charkan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Called local Stihl dealer today to get rings for a friends 361 and was informed that stihl doesn't sell just the rings I would have to buy a p&c kit for $265.I asked why you couldn't use a ball hone and just install new rings.His reply was that the coating on the cylinder was to thin.And this was a stihl elite dealer.Called another dealer 1/2 hour the other way he gave me a price said he'd have them in a couple days.He isn't even an elite dealer.Take a guess where i'll spend my money from now on?

Yup,
Makes no sense. I had the same thing happen with the 3/4 wrap kit for my 361k they quoted me over 180 and when I told him that was the wrong price he wouldn't even recheck just told me that was the price. At least the guy I went to for the oiler parts didn't ask anything and just sold them to me for a few pennies below MSRP. Hey a few cents makes me think about going back there instead of the first.

Called local Stihl dealer today to get rings for a friends 361 and was informed that stihl doesn't sell just the rings I would have to buy a p&c kit for $265.I asked why you couldn't use a ball hone and just install new rings.His reply was that the coating on the cylinder was to thin.And this was a stihl elite dealer.Called another dealer 1/2 hour the other way he gave me a price said he'd have them in a couple days.He isn't even an elite dealer.Take a guess where i'll spend my money from now on?

Yep.. some dealers are idiots...

Yep.. some dealers are idiots...

It's things like this that make me wonder why stihl doesn't just put a parts ordering system online.

To support the dealers, they could simply given them a credit for the dealers in whatever zip code the parts are shipped to.

Or, at least let the customer use online ipls to determine what they need, and then take a printout with part numbers to the local dunderheaded dealer so all he has to do is enter the information into an order. Surely they wouldn't screw that up?

Great idea BUT you can't use an IPL alone - you need to read them in conjunction with the tech notes... While some on AS may be savvy enough to deal with this, most consumers are not.

Great idea BUT you can't use an IPL alone - you need to read them in conjunction with the tech notes... While some on AS may be savvy enough to deal with this, most consumers are not.

Why not give the customer that option though? After all, obviously a lot of dealers aren't savvy enough either. :cheers:

Actually, this is one thing I was really impressed with Briggs and Stratton for. I was able to take the model number off of pushmower and go and find the exact part I needed--a crankshaft. It was painless and took me less than 5 minutes.

Now, there were about 3 different versions used in that model engine, but I was able to determine which one I needed by the notes. I went to a local dealer and gave him a chance first, but he acted like he didn't even want to mess with it.

Last edited:
After all, obviously a lot of dealers aren't savvy enough either. :cheers:

Na.. just some dealers. Most have their crap togther... and the person on the end of the phone obviously represent the dealer, but may well a have been the temp's assistant standing in for the holiday period.

Hi guys its the same here in the uk. it took 2 months to get a rim sprocket kit for a 025 turns out they had 8 tooth sprocket kits all along its not rocket science to swap for a 7 tooth rim!!! fs250 rings after getting the wrong parts 3 times they tell me the rings dont exist????? last time i was in they had no starter ropes or spark plugs im selling a few saws so might go for a new 357xp instead of a 361

Yeah, my "Ex-dealer" wouldnt sell me limiter caps after I told him the caps MADE the carb epa happy. Kinda sad how bullheaded idiots like to lose business.

LOL one of mine made out like I was getting enriched uranium by selling me a limiter remover tool and 6 spare caps. IIRC his statement was "Stihl doesn't want us selling these things to "just anybody." LMAO I must be a somebody then! I'm glad I've finally made it!

My trick at that place is to wait for the nice ladies to be working up front... as long as the part # I give them goes through, I get my stuff w/o interrogation as to my motives.

Na.. just some dealers. Most have their crap togther... and the person on the end of the phone obviously represent the dealer, but may well a have been the temp's assistant standing in for the holiday period.

I would agree if it had been a temp but it was the owners grandson who has worked their for 5+ years full-time plus high school.To make it worse the rumor is that he is going to buy his grandpa out.:mad: I usually go their for parts because their close.

I would agree if it had been a temp but it was the owners grandson who has worked their for 5+ years full-time plus high school.To make it worse the rumor is that he is going to buy his grandpa out.:mad: I usually go their for parts because their close.

Probably best you found a new dealer now, rather than later. In many cases, when the grandson 'buys out' the grandfather, the business will head down the slippery slope anyway.

I get my stuff w/o interrogation as to my motives.

Thats funny... Plus 50 on that one!!
I have 4 Stihl dealers within 30 miles of me that I know of. Plus a bunch in the town that I work in.. Finally found one that didnt mind selling me a couple screws and misc. parts. Most were actually snobby too me. jezzzz.
I went to the one shop and he helps me out evertime. Even shoots the bull with me.. Right on.
Those couple freebie parts he gave me was cool also... I will be buying all of my stuff from him.. Even if some things I need can be bought cheaper elsewhere.. I believe in supporting the local fella's for sure... After 1 year of searching finally found "the shop"!!!!

Im kinda in the same boat with the place I go to now. Most stuff he has to order partswise, but I never get told no, and he seems to appreciate my business. He only stocks the homeowner model saws, but offered to order me in anything Stihl makes. He has my business now, I can wait for the parts. A little "patience training" would probably be good for me anyway!

I'm really hoping that the shop I ordered the rings from will be the "shop".I don't own any stihl saws, running either husky or dolmar but usually end up working on friends saws as a favor.Really like running stihl chain though.

Back