Wanna hear a good one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my local Stihl dealer is real bad. I go in there to order stuff that they say doesn't exist a lot. I bring the part numbers with me and get a price before I order. Some of the Stihl parts are overpriced and the dealer has to make some money too so he adds 10 percent or more and when it is all said and done you get a big bill but if I know what things are worth I won't get screwed. I use some aftermarket stuff when I need to save money on a project but I don't skimp out on the major engine parts unless he charges me 50.00 for 2 piston rings like last time. This dealer doesn't know squat about saws. I don't think he has much experience running saws and I have seen him give a new prosaw to a guy that had no experience cutting anything and did not offer to show the guy how to start it just said see ya. He sells more boats and suzuki stuff so he doesn't seem to care about Stihl too much. I am thinking about driving to the next town and see what it is like there.

Whats wrong with this situation is how they run their network. I can almost understand how they want to sell the saws out of the store front only. I don't understand why I can't get on the Stihl USA web site and order any part I want LIKE I CAN FOR EVERY OTHER MACHINE MANUFACTURED ON EARTH.

I know they are trying to take care of the dealers but then you have some that are great and some that are worthless, too inconsistent. Now Husqvarna is trying to get into the same dealer only situation too, they are going to bury themselves. Probably the biggest reason is to keep the prices up in their own back yard. The Stihl factory workers might think something is funny if its cheaper to order a saw from a company in the U.S. than to use the employee discount:cry: .

I think Stihls should be like every other piece of equipment, if your dealership works on my saw then I will buy your outrageously priced parts. But I want the option to order parts from the factory and do it my self, give it to me.

Last edited:
Called local Stihl dealer today to get rings for a friends 361 and was informed that stihl doesn't sell just the rings I would have to buy a p&c kit for $265.I asked why you couldn't use a ball hone and just install new rings.His reply was that the coating on the cylinder was to thin.And this was a stihl elite dealer.Called another dealer 1/2 hour the other way he gave me a price said he'd have them in a couple days.He isn't even an elite dealer.Take a guess where i'll spend my money from now on?

Hi,

that`s not only a stihl-problem.

But good service don`t must be expensive. You must have only good eyes and ears.

Well all right then. Next time I'm in your shop I want to pay on the 2500 hour amortized plan--I kind of like the idea of paying nothing. :greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

No problem. I'll take the net present valve, determine a typical use period of say 8 years (maybe 25 for you), figure the expected interest rates, and set up a payment plan. Early termination or missed payments will be considered default whereapon I'll expect full payment, plus 182% penalty and a $35 processing fee. :)

I think Stihls should be like every other piece of equipment, if your dealership works on my saw then I will buy your outrageously priced parts. But I want the option to order parts from the factory and do it my self, give it to me.

So.. you buy your Ford parts direct from Ford.. your yamaha parts direct from Yamaha? ;)

Hmmm...parts!

My dealer here at least lets me look at the computer IPL in the shop because I have a better idea of what I'm looking for than them and fairly often they have what I need in stock...and if its not outrageously marked up I'll buy it.

BUT...I ordered two fuel hoses and two recoil starter housing bolts (the one with the adapter that goes through the handle) for an 026 in late October...had to go to the States for an emergency, was there for a month...while there I sought out my friend BB the Stihl dealer, got the hoses for $7 each.

About a week after I got home in December I dropped by the dealer to see if my parts were there...NOT YET!!! A week after that I finally got a call they had arrived. SIX WEEKS!!!!
I went to get them...the hoses were $17 each and the bolts were $10!!! I asked them to put the hoses in their stock and I'd take one bolt!

It will be cheaper and quicker for me to phone a dealer in the States and get the parts sent in the mail, not even UPS, just the regular mail!!!

I did buy a pair of gloves and two side nuts when I went back later...side nuts are only $2...:chainsaw:

No problem. I'll take the net present valve, determine a typical use period of say 8 years (maybe 25 for you), figure the expected interest rates, and set up a payment plan. Early termination or missed payments will be considered default whereapon I'll expect full payment, plus 182% penalty and a $35 processing fee. :)

Andy,

You're better than my dealer by three points. (No longer wonder why they call it Steal, woops, Stihl)

Joat

:cheers:

I don't mind supporting local shops, but I hate having that the only option! Of course, I'm also 26 and a full on internet whore, so my reality is different than other generations... :D

So.. you buy your Ford parts direct from Ford.. your yamaha parts direct from Yamaha? ;)

Car dealers as a whole seem like they have great personal. They know their stuff and are cooperative, at least the bigger ones. Saw dealer are hit and miss, with more misses than hits.
You must think all dealers are like you. Think up a tricky question and call around, you'll see the problem. Heck, that's a good idea. Stihl USA should do that to their dealers, LOL!
The one I love is, "We can't order that for you until we need at least $100 worth of parts, so it could be a few weeks."

Na.. I know all dealers aren't like me.. but a few bad apples doesn't make all of them bad. The problem in this "industry" is abysmal pay, low margins (yep.. real low in comparion to the autoparts business) and a tiny (yep.. even all of AS is tiny) customer base for parts. Very very few people work on their own OPE... which is why Stihl promotes the store-front only concept.

I'd welcome mail order parts with local dealer kickback. It wouldn't mean anything in $$ but for the 5 customers a years that drive me crazy with parts purchases (5 more don't), I could nicely send them somewhere else.

My Ford parts come from Napa most of the time. Most of the Yamaha parts are manufactured in my shop, but sometimes I have to use the dealer.

I'll add a couple addendums and it sounds good.

You sign and acknowledge upon tendering of goods that you have received all payments, and any disputes will be heard before an arbitrator picked by me. You waive all rights to pursue anything pertaining to this transaction in court. The goods shall be tendered upon receipt of first payment. Any portion of this agreement that is found to be null shall not affect the enforcement and validity of any other part of this agreement.

When can I pick the stuff up? :cheers:

I'll add a couple addendums and it sounds good.

You sign and acknowledge upon tendering of goods that you have received all payments, and any disputes will be heard before an arbitrator picked by me. You waive all rights to pursue anything pertaining to this transaction in court. The goods shall be tendered upon receipt of first payment. Any portion of this agreement that is found to be null shall not affect the enforcement and validity of any other part of this agreement.

When can I pick the stuff up? :cheers:

Call around. I'm sure you can find some dealer to accept that. After all... we know there are a few duds around.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The Stihl dealer said you can't buy the rings that you had to buy the P&C kit ($260) because it makes him more money- he's trying to bluff you. Lets say the rings cost $50.00 and his markup is 25%. So he makes $12.50 on the rings maybe and $65.00 on the P&C. He figures its not worth is time to make the $12.50. I've had this happen with a motorcycle dealer-he was the owner, a savvy businessman. I needed some small items like a spring, rubber strap, couple seals, maybe $15.00 worth. He said couldn't the spring had to buy a $30.00 unit. I went to another dealer, the parts guy was the friendly guy type. He looked it all up, got the parts numbers and ordered it up- about $15.00.

You can't hardly blame dealers for not wanting to fool with the small stuff. There's not much money in it and its a pain for people to call in and have to look up nickle and dime stuff, but they might lose sales in the future if they don't.

Latest posts

Back