to hone or not to hone ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
howdy all, got my junk 360 with good jug in the mail last week (flea bay) 165 lbs. comp. 4 cold pulls..i was happy, releived actually...
called my local stihl guy (who seeems halfway sensible) to have him order me new oem rings for it.... told him the story, gonna port intake, exhaust, clean up transfers, possibly remove base gasket depending on squish ect. also asked if he could do a vaccuum check once i had it back together?? he could !!
when i explained everything to him he said he'd just reinstall the same rings i allready have since the comp. was so good and advised me NOT to hone the cylinder being as it is chromed (duh, i allready knew that) and i would'nt wanna scratch it ?????? oh, by the way the p/c look really nice, but i was thinking i should try and cross hatch/hone it ????
ok pro's i'm waiting !!!
thanks for your replies

Don't hone it. NEW OEM rings in a used will seat just fine.

But.. why the heck are you replacing rings on a 165 cylinder? I'd leave the old rings in also...

Last edited:
thanks andy,
sorry i was'nt real clear, i broke a ring in my 360 a couple of weeks ago and scored the cylinder, not a lean meltdown, a deep score at the exhaust port, that saw had 167 lbs last year so it's not like it was wore out, or abused...
looked everywhere and could'nt find a good used jug anywhere so i bought a saw off of fleabay that was run over but still has lots of good parts.
so i'm taking/i took the p/c off the run over one and putting on my good saw.. well, it was good till the ring broke.... it'll be really good with the port work and such..... i hope..
does that make a little more sence ??
thanks, chuck

yep... and you need to insert the rings by walking them around. They will not expand over the entire piston without breaking. I use a razor knife blade.

walk them around ?? not sure if you mean installing them on the piston or installing the piston (with rings in place) into the jug ??
it sounds like you mean rings onto piston ? but am confused about the razon knife blade ??
anyway, the rings are on the piston the way they came out, will be the way they're going back in..
thanks again

Rings onto the pistion.

I'll try to take some pics to explain... but I'm under the weather so it will be a few days.

Latest posts

Back