Wanna hear a good one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't hardly blame dealers for not wanting to fool with the small stuff. There's not much money in it and its a pain for people to call in and have to look up nickle and dime stuff, but they might lose sales in the future if they don't.

I've got no problem with that. Instead of lying and misrepresenting their product line though, I'd have much more respect for them if they imposed a minimum order or a surcharge on parts. Say they make 12.50 on the rings, well, let them have a 10 dollar surcharge. They then would make 22.50 on the rings--well worth their 5 minutes to look them up, and then the customer would not be buying unneeded items.

Of course, the guys doesn't want to order a piston cylinder either. He wants to sell a new machine. Sadly, this will work for a large portion of customers, and he effectively sifts through the ones he can con this way.

Sorry.. you said buy from the factory! :greenchainsaw:

Both sell OEM factory parts, just one example each of the hundreds that come up on a search, nobody cares who they come from when they are wiring their money away into the internet. Yes, I have seen Stihl OEM parts online from time to time but they are breaking Stihls rules to do it.

To clarify, I have no problem with my local Stihl tech, just a fist fight every few years. But my little brother doesn't give any problems when it comes to parts and saws.

Stihl USA said:
Note: Dealers selling STIHL equipment are not authorized to accept orders for STIHL equipment, parts, or other items over the Internet, by telephone or by mail for delivery to locations other than the location of their dealership because we don't want are German employees to find out their discount is cr@p.
:laugh:

I ordered a starter rotor for my 025 couple of weeks ago i was told £6 great i thought picked it up today and im £13.64 lighter even afer complaining, they are selling ms170s for £139 all in i guess they are being subsidised by the sale of parts

I ordered a starter rotor for my 025 couple of weeks ago i was told £6 great i thought picked it up today and im £13.64 lighter even afer complaining, they are selling ms170s for £139 all in i guess they are being subsidised by the sale of parts

Ah, another person who has been through the Stihl UK dealer experience. I used to have a great dealer, he retired, now I have dealers like the one you appear to be experiencing. Though to be fair, it seems you got the right part at least.

It is ridiculous that I am reduced to buying parts off ebay, and often eBay in America in preference to a UK dealer.

Actually, I've recently found an internet operation who will sell anything at a good price if you give them the part number. Special tools, you name it, he's got it.

Actually, I've recently found an internet operation who will sell anything at a good price if you give them the part number. Special tools, you name it, he's got it.
Well don't tell on him. The Stihl police will come get him in the night.

I've got no problem with that. Instead of lying and misrepresenting their product line though, I'd have much more respect for them if they imposed a minimum order or a surcharge on parts. Say they make 12.50 on the rings, well, let them have a 10 dollar surcharge. They then would make 22.50 on the rings--well worth their 5 minutes to look them up, and then the customer would not be buying unneeded items.

Of course, the guys doesn't want to order a piston cylinder either. He wants to sell a new machine. Sadly, this will work for a large portion of customers, and he effectively sifts through the ones he can con this way.
space--and this is sooooo true---because not only does he not want to sell a few bucks inparts--he wants to sell new like you said--so when the guy trades in the saw--the dealer spends three cents on parts that he wanted big bucks for--and that crap dealer now has a 300.00 saw to sell----ive got one like that around here--so i deal with another one--they all around this area must have a consortum though--they sell at twice retail!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, another person who has been through the Stihl UK dealer experience. I used to have a great dealer, he retired, now I have dealers like the one you appear to be experiencing. Though to be fair, it seems you got the right part at least.

It is ridiculous that I am reduced to buying parts off ebay, and often eBay in America in preference to a UK dealer.

Hi no one was more suprised than me to actually get the right part. still no spark plugs or spare elastostart ropes no scabbards and they wont let me round to the computer to pick out the parts. i think every saw that goes in to the workshop comes out with a new bar and chain! they have just been bought over by another company so fingers crossed

We definitely don't get choice when it comes to Stihl dealers in the UK. My nearest is a "Gold" dealer. They stock nothing. Even exhaust gaskets have to be ordered.

I think I know who your internet dealer is, a certain Mr. X? I just ordered the ZS service tool from him. Nice guy, good prices on most things too.

Last edited:
our stihl dealer is also a kubota dealer the bearings went out of the deck gearbox in the STa30 in my avatar (staged photo that scared the boss lol) it took 6 weeks to get a replacement all the way from the USA must have been taken over by an atlantic rower lol. the lift mechanism came in dribs and drabs over 3 months not very good in the hight of grass cutting season!

Well don't tell on him. The Stihl police will come get him in the night.

heck, might even be Stihl testing the waters. :jawdrop:

I know they do look at tools sales... one local dealer (not us) ordered 50 flywheel pullers for an Ebay seller... Stihl shipped them then sent them a letter saying "don't; first, only, and last warning, etc.." lolol

I'm keeping my sources private...though I have put the UK contingent on the trail... :)

I know they do look at tools sales... one local dealer (not us) ordered 50 flywheel pullers for an Ebay seller

They should. Anyone willing to invest in tools is pretty dedicated to the brand - and will probably stick with that brand rather than re-learn (and re-tool) something else.

Last edited:
Back