Wanna new stihl magnum, but which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 440 and 460 are different saws. Not just the weight but the 440 is narrower so it can be held closer to the body which handles better for smaller wood, and it uses less fuel. The 440 is a little more of an RPM saw and the 460 a bit more of a torque saw.

Here's how I do it:

440: 25"
460: 28"
660: 32"
All saws are woods ported, but that doesn't matter in this case.

As far as "wanting" goes, I don't know what to say, I keep fighting the urge to buy a new 120cc saw and I have 3 ported 90+cc saws.

My advice for someone starting out that wants a quality do it all lineup is this: 200t, 261, 440 or 441, 660. Forget the rest, you can do anything well with that setup. If you are addicted and want them all, then by all means, buy them all.

Last edited:
very hard to pick ,if gonna run 28 inch bar id say 440 ,if gonna run 32 inch bar id say 460 ,if run a light bar version the saws balance very nice ,

MS880, otherwise there will always be a bigger saw then yours... go for the maximum man points :laugh:

Okay guys,
I went to a dealer that had the 660 with 25" bar, and man was it heavy, nice saw, just to heavy or me. So i think i am going to try a ms440 and run a 20" & 25" bar's on it, and use my 460 with the 32" bar. I kinda want the 440 while i can still get it. Now if the dealer will give me a good price on it. I gave $900 otd for my 460 with 25" bar last august. Maybe they will give me the 440 for that or less.
Should i do a dual port muffler cover from baileys.
trevor

Do a dual port for a 460 and have the dealer retune. You should retain full warranty that way.

I Might Need Three

The next saw I buy will be the MS 660 with either a 32" or 36" bar. My MS 361 with either a 20" or a 25" does all the rest except for the whoppers. I could also put the 25" bar on the 660 for a "hot saw" just to have fun.

For limbing, I drop down to a 39 cc saw with a 16" bar, my Echo CS 3900 that refuses to die after 15 years. Sorry, guys, you still need a small one to prune away small branches. The 40 cc class saws do serve a useful purpose.

i think reason he recomended dual for the 460 is because it wasnt availible for the 440 ,even though they fit the same ,you have to request a 460 cover so they can look it up for you at the parts counter

Okay guys,
I went to a dealer that had the 660 with 25" bar, and man was it heavy, nice saw, just to heavy or me. So i think i am going to try a ms440 and run a 20" & 25" bar's on it, and use my 460 with the 32" bar. I kinda want the 440 while i can still get it. Now if the dealer will give me a good price on it. I gave $900 otd for my 460 with 25" bar last august. Maybe they will give me the 440 for that or less.
Should i do a dual port muffler cover from baileys.
trevor

Oh hog wash! Where are you in the NC mountains? If you're close you can come run my 660. All saws weigh about the same in the cut. BTW, there is a 660 in the classified section here right now that is a S T E A L!!!!

...All saws weigh about the same in the cut....

I agree. I have a 441 M w/20" (love it BTW) and a 660 w/ 25" (& 36" just cause i got it cheap). I cut w/ both the other day, and couldn't tell them apart as far as weight.... Now vibes and fuel, or speed maybe but in the wood... heck out of the wood hardly could tell.

Run down the mountain and cut a bit w/ a 660 (since K&L is offereing) before you but just so you'll know for sure.

Rep for that K&L BTW

dw

If you want to head down the mountain to Canton you're welcome to try it out.

thanks for the offer, but it looks like we are 2.5hrs apart.
The main thing for me is weight, as i usually have to carry the saws up and down hills where i cut, and as of right now the biggest tree i have to cut is about 30" or so inches wide,which the 460 with 32" bar will do i would hope. I just kind of think the ms440 would be a little more use to me with a 20" bar and i would use the 460 with the 25", 32" bars.
thanks
trevor

so just to clear things up for me a bit. did i miss something? is the 440 really back in the nice old style? no AV? just like the saws i love?

thanks. i was just curious anyway. i already bought the 441CM-tronic so i dont see myself getting one but then again, who knows

What size bar should i get for the ms440? I already have a 20" and a 25" bar and chains, I thought i would just sell the bar that comes on my new ms440, and use my 20" bar i already have. Which size bar would sell better on the classifieds here?
thanks
trevor

Get another 24" and keep it. You never know when you might need another bar.

Back