Want to but apprehensive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have 2 hard maple trees in my yard. They are the only two that will make my house if uprooted. For years I've been saying I'm going to top them pretty much in half. I'd estimate each to be in the 50-60 ft range. Well I'm a 45 yr. old male, and not to boast, in tremendous shape. I want to climb these trees (safety belt of course) and top em down. While in my early 20's, I did work a summer with a climber, but mostly pulling ropes, limbing, chipping and stump grinding. On one occasion, he actually told me to strap on boot gaffs, climb about 50 ft. and block it down. He already had it limbed off, and I perfomed the task. He gave me about 15 minutes of ground instructions on how to climb and I must admit, was pretty scared. I'm in no way afraid of heights, and actually would feel safer standing on limbs belted to a tree.

Well, a burning inside tells me to be very careful, but go for it. I like the feeling of self-sufficiency. Of course, there's the other side that say, what are you thinkin dummy, you know better than that. I look at those stinkin trees about every day and say... I can do it... better not..... I can do it.... better not. It's like the Angel and the Devil. :dizzy:

Forgot to add. I'd be using my 028 Super on the climb if I choose to, as I'm completely comfortable with it after having used it for nearly 20 yrs., not to mention, my 015 (small), 361 (big) won't fit the bill.

Last edited:
"Standing on limbs belted to a tree" Get some spurs, way safer and better, couldn't imagine cutting down a tree without them. You got a saw, some balls, get a belt, some spurs and take your time. :cheers:

Maybe you can post a pic of these trees??

They sound like they may potentially be some nice trees. Trees like you describe can add alot of value to your property. It also sounds like someone may have planted them on purpose??

Your trees uprooting is probably an unrealistic paranoia. More than likely a competent arborist could prune them to reduce the wind sail... maybe install some cables for support as well.

We just went through a hel! of a storm here last Friday. About 2 feet of heavy wet snow. I'm in SW Pennsylvania. The amount of trees cracking, splitting, and uprooting, just within earshot of my farm was something I've never experienced in 45 years. I was truly afraid for my family, hoping one or both of these were not going to come onto the house. I have a split entry, so there's no 2 story protection of something crashing into the roof, and potentially into living space. I lost one maple as it uprooted and wiped out my garden fence. A second in my front yard split almost in half. Neither of those pose(d) bodily threat in a storm. The other two do. I'm all for trees, and the beauty and splendor they provide (when I'm not raking leaves), but I have hundreds of others on my 200 acres that I can hug when I get the urge. :cheers:

Last edited:
"Standing on limbs belted to a tree" Get some spurs, way safer and better, couldn't imagine cutting down a tree without them. You got a saw, some balls, get a belt, some spurs and take your time.

I have a good safety belt, designed for bridge Ironwork. Believe my balls are in order (other than that vasectomy thingy) :dizzy: 150 feet of good rope. When I say "block it down".... it's gonna be awful small "blocks".

Get a reputable company with a certified arborist on staff to give you an assessment. I am with TreeMDS on this one, if it is a concern possible some light pruning might be in order. Never any good reason to top your trees by half. That's what Treeco is trying to tell you. If the trees do survive they will eventually become a very real hazard with unstable regrowth. You will have accomplished nothing but destroying what sounds to be a perfectly healthy tree and costing yourself more grief, work and money than if you would have just left the tree stand.

Every community goes through what you are after a catastrophic storm. Kneejerk reactions to take out any tree near the house based on fear. I have tried to talk many customers out of taking out perfectly healthy trees because of fear of it hitting the house in a storm. I often tell them that if they have survived this storm they will very likely survive any future storms. They have proven that they are structurally sound. I have had a few customers tell me that have have regretted taking out the healthy trees they had me do after the storm.

When something deep inside keeps telling me over and over,,"Don't Do It", I have learned that it usually is good advice!

I didn't listen to those voices much when I was young, but now I know better!

Stay safe whatever your decision may be,,,,,,

I read it kind of fast, I saw the "block it down" and figured a removal. So, don't do it. Much as it makes me hesitate, get an arborist to look at it, but ask him if he ever done the work...............like climbed trees, not driven around giving quotes.

I remember once upon a time, way back when this used to be a professional site. This forum used to be a place where younger professional apprentices could come and ask advice from the more experienced pros. Maybe we should rename this place the Homeowner do it yourself forum where any Joe homeowner who has taken down a tree with a cheap harness and a Poulan Wild Thing can give advise to the other knuckleheads who are looking to to get their heads busted.

Not ripping on you Dale, just saying you would be F-ing your trees up by hat racking them. Get a professional opinion.

Edit: Topping trees not good. That is arborist 101...

Last edited:
If you do decide to tackle this project on your own make sure you are not alone. Have someone else there!

Chris

I often tell them that if they have survived this storm they will very likely survive any future storms. They have proven that they are structurally sound.

That may be good advice, but in all things there reaches a point of diminishing returns right ? A persons body may be cholestorol and plaque free for most of their lives, but then there's always that last Big Mac that does the cardiovascular trick.

I certainly appreciate all of your advice, but it appears i am on the wrong forum here. I'm not looking for advice on whether I should save these 2 maples or not, that wasn't what I was questioning in my original post. They are either A. being topped, or B. coming down. The only question is whether it will be me or somebody else doing the deed. I have 200 acres, and many, many trees of value, Black Cherry, Oak, many more Hard/Soft Maple, etc.... my concern of these coming into my house is a very real and very valid concern, and I will remedy this potential problem one way or the other.

Tree MD, ya, I think you certainly are ripping on me. If it's because I'm on the wrong forum, and should be asking how to trim my Azalea's, then I apologize for cluttering this place up. Maybe I should be on the Firewood Forum, my bad. But one thing is certain, I'm not your average Joe Homeowner. My saws are not Poulan Wild Things. They are Pro Stihl's, and I have been running them for over 20 years, and I'm quite proficient at both running and mainting my Jewel's. And my rope and harness are not "cheap". The harness serves very well if one would find themselves dangling just below a brisge deck, and 200 feet above terra firma.

the simple answer is cut the :censored: trees down.:dizzy:

topping is wrong, but the trees are too big.
and these trees are in a farm yard? :laugh:
I am truly surprised that they are still standing. a real farmer wouldn't be on here asking.

Dale, go for it, sounds like you have a beautiful place. buy some beer, invite a few guys like me over and have a firewood work party.

:cheers:

Last edited:
the simple answer is cut the trees down.

topping is wrong, but the trees are too big.
and these trees are in a farm yard?
I am truly surprised that they are still standing. a real farmer wouldn't be on here asking.

Dale, go for it, sounds like you have a beautiful place. buy some beer, invite a few guys like me over and have a firewood work party.

PHEW !!!! Wrong forum is right, and I apologize for getting all of your panties in a twist. I think you guys have an urban/suburban setting mind-block. :dizzy: I'll go slow for ya. I have a house that I built 12 years ago. After cutting, stump removal, and dozer work, I now have a home that is surrounded by about 1 acre of grass that I maintain. On the backside of the house starts a woodlot. It is in this woodlot's edge that the 2 maples reside. The setting isn't a barnyard, or farmyard as you all with urban/suburban block might imagine it to be.

A "real farmer" wouldn't be on here asking ??? HaHa. Yeah pal. real farmers are skilled and master woodsman. Most of the "real farmers" I know wouldn't survive a season with a chainsaw in their hands. I know of a few that have killed themselves rolling tractors, pulling stumps (incorrectly), and yes, one that even perished in a felling accident. To those of you that responded with good intention, thanks for the thoughts. To those that got your pruning sheers in a twist, I apologize for taking up your forum space and will leave now. :cheers: I got me some farmin stuff that needs done.... gulp.

If your gonna top Maple trees, you are on the wrong forum.. the site is called Arboristsite.com it is for people who care about quality work concerning pruning, feeding, trimming, removals if nessessary and tree care of all kinds...NOT TOPPING SHADE TREES. or hack's of any kind

the site is called Arboristsite.com it is for people who care about quality work concerning pruning, feeding, trimming, removals if nessessary and tree care of all kinds...

You must've missed the scores of other subforums on here eh ??? "Arborist 101" is simply 1 subforum on this site. Man did I stir up a Bee's nest on this here site, HAHA. I truly apologize for suggesting I give my Majestic Maple's a haircut. I'll tell ya what, to save face with all the professional pruners on here, I'll cut em at the stump using a pull rope, reduce them to fuel for my Soapstone (albeit poor BTU choice as a burner), and be done with it.

You must've missed the scores of other subforums on here eh ??? "Arborist 101" is simply 1 subforum on this site. Man did I stir up a Bee's nest on this here site, HAHA. I truly apologize for suggesting I give my Majestic Maple's a haircut. I'll tell ya what, to save face with all the professional pruners on here, I'll cut em at the stump using a pull rope, reduce them to fuel for my Soapstone (albeit poor BTU choice as a burner), and be done with it.

that's a much better choice. if your not comfortable with them then turn them into fuel.

Get a life but get lost first.

HaHa... you bush trimmers sure are a testy lot. :clap:

By the way Highpoint, fuel it is... as soon as about 3 feet of snow melts to about a manageable 6 inches or so.

Last edited:
Back