Wanted: Woodstove for garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcNH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
getting a wood stove for my garage. my bedroom is above garage and above that is the attic. What is a good woodstove for the garage. Been looking on craigslist and in the uncle henry's trader for a good used one. Looked at some dealerships but they sell the glass door, pretty ones. I don't need that. I would like something that has a long burn time 10-12 hours. Would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks

getting a wood stove for my garage. my bedroom is above garage and above that is the attic. What is a good woodstove for the garage. Been looking on craigslist and in the uncle henry's trader for a good used one. Looked at some dealerships but they sell the glass door, pretty ones. I don't need that. I would like something that has a long burn time 10-12 hours. Would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks

Look for a welded steel airtight, and preferably brick lined. You'll generally get a longer burn from a larger firebox provided you have good draft control. I would look for a Fisher. HARD wood will burn longer. A pot of water on top of the stove will increase the humidity and make it feel warmer.

New stoves are more efficient, but costly. I bought a Quadrafire 4300 steptop for the new house, but it was expensive, and I didn't opt for the fancy nickel or gold trim.

In my current house I have a Gibralter coal stove and burn HARD coal. I've started a cold stove, got it going good, loaded it with coal, and cut the draft back.....still had fire 36 hours later, but not much. You can't do that with a wood stove. Unfortunately, the new house is being built too far from an inexpensive hard coal source, so will burn wood, and I have plenty of it.

What size is your garage? You can make a stove out of two 55 gal. drums or 35 gal drum. Those put out alot of heat, with the right set up you might be able to get the 10 hr. burn times.

i would not use a barrel stove UNDER A LIVING AREA

true. i asked what the garage was used for because not many wood stove manufacturers recommend them in garages that are used to work on equipment where flamable materials are used.

if just a workshop to play around in, your ceiling should be 5/8" fire rated drywall, as well as any walls next to the main house.

how would you run the chimney for it?

What the others said is right on. I would add that burn time will have lots of variables. It is my understanding that on the newer "EPA" type stoves you cannot turn the draft air way down like we could on the older air tight stoves thus the burn times will be shorter. I heated my work shop at home with a 70s era Arrow air tight for 5-6 years and keeping a fire for the 9 hours I am away at work was no problem what so ever. The Arrow will hold a large arm load of wood. It can be bought but I am a long ways from NH.

No flammables in garage. just a 2 car garage but i don't park cars in there. chimney not in yet. That's next week, on the outside wall of the house. Thanks for the input.

What size is your garage? You can make a stove out of two 55 gal. drums or 35 gal drum. Those put out alot of heat, with the right set up you might be able to get the 10 hr. burn times.
I got a drum stove in my shop, and it heats like a son of a gun. I bought one of those kits from Northern tools, it includes the cast iron door, legs, and couplings to hook two barrels one on top of the other plus the coupling for the stove pipe. I think the kit was around 75 bucks all told.
Burn time? No ten hour burn time, but more around the six hour time frame.
Why wouldnt you want to use a barrel stove if you have living quarters above it? Gets too hot?

Barrels have been known to burn through. They get thin, fall apart, drop hot ash/embers on the floor, then there's no way to control the unburnt wood that also falls on the floor. Makes for a possible HOUSE FIRE!

You might want to check with your insurance company before putting any stove in your garage. I was going to put an air tight stove in my garage, and my company said they wouldn't cover me if there was a fire.

Back