We all love pics, so post up your pics (saw/wood related).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap Labour

These two actually work for candy!
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

These two actually work for candy!
IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Very cute. I keep telling everyone as soon as my son can walk he is going to start helping stack firewood. Nobody believes me but he's gonna do it!

:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Stump Remover

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_catalog_page.asp?id=1958

I think this is what you are looking for. If its what Ive used before its potassium nitrate. You pour the powder into 3/4" holes drilled into the stump and fill with kerosene. After letting it soak for 24 to 48 hours you light the stump and it burns down to the roots. Its been a long time since Ive used it, (25 yrsor so) but I remember it working fairly well.

3/8 .063 on the 36" bar,,,

Ha there RiverRat what do ya think of your GB pro top bar ? are you running a 3/8 or 404 chain ?........

I like it so far,,, Ive really only used it on the one job posted here and I think I did about 9 fairly large stumps and all of the falling/bucking was already done so I cant comment on that but for stumpin so far so good,,,Ill let ya know in about 6 months!!!!!

BTW, the "hunky-wagon" pictured is a VW Jettta TDI Wagon. Not exactly a traditional muscle car, but at 50+mpg, it flexes a little bit different muscle!. We call it our little stinker!

My "pickup" is a Passat Wagon. My wife hates it when I fill it up with saws and lumber. Easy clean-up though. I got mine for cheaper than they wanted for the diesel Jetta wagon.

Mines faster and not as stinky....but I don't get 50mpg either.

Mark

I'm just wondering as I had many stumps like that left over after I cut several large pine trees down and it took me several hours per stump to remove due to the incredibly large and deep roots. Some of the stumps are still there and are on a terrain much too steep for a backhoe to traverse which is why I am interested in the stump-rot stuff.

I would try the charcoal method. Pile up some charcoal on the stump and let it burn. That should get it going and the stump will burn for a long time. I've never tried it myself, but people say they sometimes burn for days. Be careful where you do it though.

disclaimer: rb_in_va not responsible for any forest fires started or loss of property or life due to following this advice.

I would try the charcoal method. Pile up some charcoal on the stump and let it burn. That should get it going and the stump will burn for a long time. I've never tried it myself, but people say they sometimes burn for days. Be careful where you do it though.

disclaimer: rb_in_va not responsible for any forest fires started or loss of property or life due to following this advice.

Yeah I hear you guys,,, about the burning,,, only problem here is when the burn bans are in effect and you are in a declared "No Burning" Zone,,,,, if you get caught,,,, it isnt pretty,,,, there are some who will turn you in too!!!

Yeah I hear you guys,,, about the burning,,, only problem here is when the burn bans are in effect and you are in a declared "No Burning" Zone,,,,, if you get caught,,,, it isnt pretty,,,, there are some who will turn you in too!!!

Where are the stumps he wants to remove? If it's in the PNW forget the burn method!

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_catalog_page.asp?id=1958

I think this is what you are looking for. If its what Ive used before its potassium nitrate. You pour the powder into 3/4" holes drilled into the stump and fill with kerosene. After letting it soak for 24 to 48 hours you light the stump and it burns down to the roots. Its been a long time since Ive used it, (25 yrsor so) but I remember it working fairly well.

Well I just ordered A dozen 16oz bottles.
I'll give it a go.
I am a little worried about root fires so I am just going to try is in a field I am clearing.

Be very careful about burning stumps in Arizona. You will not be very popular if you burn your mountain.
One thing you can try is Rid-X or similar brand of septic tank enzyme additive. If kept moist it will decompose cellulose pretty fast.

Stump Remover

Just a word of warning. The roots suck this chemical up and when lit they burn for a LONG time. I would clear the area around the stump and build a dirt fire ring around it as well. If I was in a really dry area I would be very carefull. I am in the mountains of NC/TN and the stumps I used it on were in a grassy area and not in the woods.

Latest posts

Back