Weight for chimney brush

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:popcorn: I want to use a weight to pull down my 6" chimney brush...looking for ideas I can use for a weight...it needs to be small and hefty...lets hear it...DW :popcorn:

you could use a small 2 or 3 lb free weight. i got a huge ass chimney and i never use a weight. i dont wanna crack the lining at all.

Ok i have a stainless 6" round chimney...think of what I can use to pull the brush down the chimney...DW:)

A couple of cast iron weights like those that go on barbells would be nice.

You could make something by pouring some cement into a small flower pot.

Got any old window weights hanging around?

GREAT ideas...Keep them coming...DW :givebeer:

A dead cat.

Why does it have to be dead ? A live one would have better aggitation as it clawed its way up the chimney. Tie a rope on it and give him a little tug once in a while to keep things interesting. If you used a string in the right spot, when you gave it a tug the siren would go off.

Ok i have a stainless 6" round chimney...think of what I can use to pull the brush down the chimney...DW:)

go to an antique shop or flea market and look for those window weights that was used in old windows. they're long and narrow and have an eye-let at the top of them for a rope. perfect for dropping down the flue.

they're still readily available all over the place.

It Is Done

Well i had some pvc pipe so i took a 6"long x 3" wide and filled it with old nuts, bolts and washers..put an end cap on each end with a eye bolt runing thru the middle...looks and works great...it is apx 4 lbs and a little over..my chimney is clean and a fire going....thanx to all who were involved with this post...DW:chainsaw:

Great idea. I wish that I had seen this post before I paid right at 20 bucks for two 6' fiberglass rods for my brush.

I turned my brush up side down and placed a rope on it with a snap. Then I threaded the rope through four feet of two inch pipe.

Back