Welder, Welding questions for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just starting to do my own welding in building my log splitters. Can anyone recommend a a good welding machine. I am intending on getting an engine driven one off ebay if the price is right.

I just need more basic information like what amp rating is good, and stuff like that.. Im leaning toward a lincoln SA200

i have a lincoln pro mig 175.

it's a 220 volt machine.i'm not keen on 110v unless it's your only option.

i have welded everything from solid axle swaps on toyota trucks to trailer hitches on dump trucks.miller is a good machine as well.

check CL , you can usually find a good used AC Lincoln ARC welder for about $200.00 , an AC/DC would be better , but for the price it can't be beat

IMO any decent arc welder capable of burning up to 3,25mm sticks is enough for building splitters and such...

check CL , you can usually find a good used AC Lincoln ARC welder for about $200.00 , an AC/DC would be better , but for the price it can't be beat
+1 I have a little Lincoln buz box in my shop at home it is no DC welder but does fine, I find 7014 rods the best for AC wielding almost idiot prof:)
P.S they make a really good 7018 rod now for AC welders

Last edited:
Between the Lincoln Pro-Mig 180C and the trusty Lincoln 225AC I've been able to weld anything I wanted. The 225AC is a new addition that I got for free from my FIL (he can't use it after getting a pacemaker).

If I had to choose only 1 welder I'd take the 180C.

I have a Lincoln buzz box, a Miller MIG welder and a big old Frankenstein AC welder that were all given to me. So far they have managed to meet any welding needs...although it would be nice to had the ability to weld DC. I learned to weld with the buzz box and I weld much better with stick than MIG.

If I were to get the welder of my dreams it would be a Miller Bobcat or Trailblazer. Both are engine driven, can be used for MIG, TIG, or stick, and they can be used as a generator during power outages.

The really good welders I know say that "if you aren't a good welder, then you better be a good grinder."

I'm a FANTASTIC grinder!:cheers:

I've got an extra welder

I'm not sure where you are located but I've got an extra welder that I'd make you a heck of a deal on. It was part of a package deal I got on Craigslist!

I just don't need or have space for 2 welders.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask this question, stay away from a stick welder. I can teach a monkey how to MIG weld, but stick is a lost art that can not be learned over night. The welds on a log splitter have tremenous stress on them, and if it is not welded properly it is going to come apart.

You want to use 7018 1/8 inch rods with a 220V AC/DC machine or you can use 1/4 inch and bigger rods like I did and burn that sucker into place :chainsaw:. Avoid mig welders like the plague especially if your just learning to weld you will find stick VERY simple to run. Just make sure you get nice penetrating beads and know how to grind out your welds. The links below will help you out a bunch,
http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson1_1.htm
http://microzone.us/weldingforum/

Hi guys. Just starting to do my own welding in building my log splitters. Can anyone recommend a a good welding machine. I am intending on getting an engine driven one off ebay if the price is right.

I just need more basic information like what amp rating is good, and stuff like that.. Im leaning toward a lincoln SA200

If your looking for a portable unit I will suggest the Lincoln Ranger 8 or 9, the 8 is a more basic welder generator and the 9 is more flexible for different welding processes(mig,stick,tig) AC tig really not recomended, the high freq. box is a must and is very expensive and they don't perform that well compared to a design specific tig. But it sounds like you are more interested in a stick unit. I'm not sure of you rcapabilities as a welder but I think a guy should be proficient in stick welding before mig welding, not that mig is harder but you gain a lot of necessary skills from stick welding that gives a broader understanding of mig welding, plus it's cheaper to learn on, less consumables (gas, wire + machine cost)
I think a 200-250 amp machine is a nice setup gives you lots of flexibility. I'm not familiar with the SA200 but Lincoln makes nice equipment. I had a Ranger9 Lincoln that was a great machine, I also had a LN25 wirefeeder with it that welded like a 3 phase unit, I just didn't use it enough to keep it. I think they can be picked up at a reasonable rate now.

OldComputerPics001.jpg

sa200

I've owned a welding company for 20 years and have welded that long as well. the sa 200 is a dc machine only,and if is an older machine it will not give you ac power to use as a generator to power any ac power stuff. like a grinder or power outage like the newer ones. on the good side if the gen and brushes are still good it is one of the best dc machines to stick weld with.they run at 1800 rpm unlike the ranger machines that are 3600 rpm machines and where out faster. also there are a lot of stress on a splitter 20 tons right.so 7018 1/8 is the best run dc reverse polarity only stay away from ac machine please in this application. MiG is OK but completely different machine.
if you do not have much time under a hood and are not certified i would not attempt to weld a wood splitter. maybe a hole in an exhaust pipe but i wood not do that with an sa200 maybe a MiG machine.so buy the sa 200 buy a lot of steel and buy a 50 pound box of rod 7018 and go to town on some scrap steel to learn to weld. good luck:)

You need a lot of current,cleaning/prep,and 7018 to build a good splitter. Dont underestimate the power of wood,and a 4-5" hydraulic cylinder at 3000PSI. If not designed,braced ,and welded right,you will twist it right up first time you hit a knot. I have an older Hobart 10KW Onan/260amp AC/DC arc welder,and it worked great for building my splitter.My 225 amp Lincoln 230V machine wasnt quite enough,I had to listen to my Onan scream on the Hobart,but I got better welds esp DC w 7018.

The welder you buy is up to you. If you like the color it must be OK. I for one would stick with Miller/Hobart or Lincoln. 225 amp plus should be a must. I'm not sure what engine options are out there right now. My Lincoln had a B&S on it that revved up to slow so I just ran it on high idle all the time. I ran a Miller big 40 for a couple years that revved up and down while welding and you could see it in the weld. Like cars they are all good and all bad. Each one has it's problems so just grab one and learn it.
As for the splitter.
Weld your unit together and reweld it when it breaks. I'm just sayin that's how you learn. So a weld breaks... Big deal.... Reweld and move on...
Welding 2 static plates together is fun but welding something under stress is way better. My weld failures taught me way more than my weld successes.

(No I can't weld with the quality of the pipe guys but I've burned a rod or two.)

well i dont know how much weling you do or want to do but contrary to what most people wil tell you the 220 ac welder from home depot works fine thats what i learned on aws welds can be made with it.

Hmmm, would a lincoln SP-135T be enough? I never gave the welder any thought. Its been enough for the stuff Ive done, not sure about the splitter now.

Hmmm, would a lincoln SP-135T be enough? I never gave the welder any thought. Its been enough for the stuff Ive done, not sure about the splitter now.

I've got a 140 and wouldn't trust it on something like a splitter , splitters exert a lot of energy , and a bad weld would go off like a bomb

Back