Went to the Dolmar dealer this weekend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5100 is a good saw. If you abuse it it may be less forgiving than a saw that isn't a hotrod. Use good gas and keep a sharp chain and you will never have a problem. We recheck all the saws that I set up and tell the customer to bring it back after 4-5 tanks and we will recheck the carb setting for free. I have seen our local J-red Dealers do the same thing. Get a 5100 now and a 7900 later.
410 is a good price.

I picked my 5100 up last weekend for $399 plus tax with an 18' bar and chain. I ordered a 20" bar and a non-safety chain for it as I don't want the 18" as I got to used to the 20" on my Stihl 290. I'm hoping it will pull the 20" chain well!

Now Bob are you sure it hasnt melted down 5 times in 6 tanks like some on AS seem to say???

Ive been trying to buy a few of the melted down 5100's and cant seem to find them around ...

I agree ......All the plugs Ive pulled are dark carmel colored .............

How bad do you want one? I have the parts one in the shop that I posted pics from. Just looking at it again tonight at the odd scoring in it. Its missin a few small parts but it does have 2 pistons wiht it.
Bob

I thought about getting the 6400 but did not because it was the same weight as the 7900 so why not have the extra power. It is really nice because when I need to run a 32 inch bar it has no problem. I have never used the 6400 but the 7900 rips through wood. Mine came with LPX but I really like the Oregon LGX

Well folks, I hate to say this. I just picked up my neighbors 5100 that got toasted this weekend. Same as in all the pics we have been seeing so far. Scored to the left side of the exhaust port. So, I pulled the plug on mine and the muffler. No scoreing but some carmerl coloration on the piston and cylinder wall. going to talk to my dealer later today.
Bob

just picked up my neighbors 5100 that got toasted this weekend.

This makes me very nervous! Between all these stories of toasted 5100 Dolmars and my dealer who tells me these saws don't need the mixture adjusted from the factory, I'm shelling out the cash for a new MS 361, I think. I am also considering this used MS 441.

:monkey:

I picked my 5100 up last weekend for $399 plus tax with an 18' bar and chain. I ordered a 20" bar and a non-safety chain for it as I don't want the 18" as I got to used to the 20" on my Stihl 290. I'm hoping it will pull the 20" chain well!

This makes me very nervous! Between all these stories of toasted 5100 Dolmars and my dealer who tells me these saws don't need the mixture adjusted from the factory, I'm shelling out the cash for a new MS 361, I think.

jtimm: My 5100s was used in a logging operation with 3/8 - 20" until somebody left it in the way of the skidder.

Grfi: I seem to recall one of our sponsors, like maybe Cutting Edge or Edge and Engine, saying that they check all the saws they prep and the 5100s are always in tune. Anybody have a sharper memory than me on this?

jtimm: My 5100s was used in a logging operation with 3/8 - 20" until somebody left it in the way of the skidder.

Grfi: I seem to recall one of our sponsors, like maybe Cutting Edge or Edge and Engine, saying that they check all the saws they prep and the 5100s are always in tune. Anybody have a sharper memory than me on this?

I start, warm up and check the RPM's of every new saw that leaves our shop and I don't recall that I've had to make adjustments to a single PS-5100 (and have not had a single one return, knock on wood!).
I did have a PS-45 the other day that started after 20 pulls (brand new), would not accelerate nor idle. Come to find out that the low speed needle (no limiter cap on this one) was all the way closed. Took a second to adjust, and that saw was running like a champ. That just goes to show the importance of starting a new saw before sending it off.

That is correct if checked and preped by the dealer up front no troubles! 5100's very reliable!

Ok here is what I have found out.
First the info from the dolmar/husky dealer. He has been around like forever. He know what he's doing. He was informed by the dolmar rep to use synthetic mix oil. Also keep the chain sharp, which by the way the neighbors saws was lacking(covered in wood powder and no chips). Also to set the saws a tad rich. Which most of the time he said was right to the max adjustment on the caps. He had no explanation as to why it only scores to the one side. I asked him why my saw has the carmel coloration in it. He had no answer there for me. But he really thought the idea of trimming the cap and adjusting richer was a good thing to do. As I stated before I did notice less heat of the saw when I used it after that.
The stihl dealer's info. He never heard or seen scoring like this in any saws he has worked on. Asked him about the coloration in my saw. 2 possibles there. Low octane gas and old gas. Here in my town I can only get 87 that does not have ethanol in itand I usally dump any gas over 3 weeks old into my farm truck. He thinks with the fact of them scoring like this its somtething to do with a hot spot in the cylinder. Thats his best idea.
So, with this info I am going to run my saw with the richer setting and use preium 91 fuel with the synthetic mix that I have always been running.
Bob

Just bought a Makita/Dolmar 510. I'm a guy who doesn't have a tach, so I won't know the RPM's of this saw. I've already been told about tweaking the H side of the carb a 1/4 turn. I run premium gas in my other saws. The synthetic oil tip is interesting. If it's good for the Mak/Dol, maybe it's good for the other saws? Any advice would be appreciated. thx

Ok here is what I have found out.
First the info from the dolmar/husky dealer. He has been around like forever. He know what he's doing. He was informed by the dolmar rep to use synthetic mix oil. Also keep the chain sharp, which by the way the neighbors saws was lacking(covered in wood powder and no chips). Also to set the saws a tad rich. Which most of the time he said was right to the max adjustment on the caps. He had no explanation as to why it only scores to the one side. I asked him why my saw has the carmel coloration in it. He had no answer there for me. But he really thought the idea of trimming the cap and adjusting richer was a good thing to do. As I stated before I did notice less heat of the saw when I used it after that.
The stihl dealer's info. He never heard or seen scoring like this in any saws he has worked on. Asked him about the coloration in my saw. 2 possibles there. Low octane gas and old gas. Here in my town I can only get 87 that does not have ethanol in itand I usally dump any gas over 3 weeks old into my farm truck. He thinks with the fact of them scoring like this its somtething to do with a hot spot in the cylinder. Thats his best idea.
So, with this info I am going to run my saw with the richer setting and use preium 91 fuel with the synthetic mix that I have always been running.
Bob

Almost every blown up PS5100 I have seen has been abused due to running wide open with DULL chains... The saw is usually covered in very FINE DUST. This is one reason I recommend 3/8" chain instead of .325" cause the larger tooth tends not to dull as easily. I have seen other issues as well some toward the intake boot either being defective or the factory not seating the clamping spring in the proper position. I have seen ethanol issues causing that damn Zama sealer on the welsh plugs to come loose and block passages!! For the most part keep the chain sharp keep GOOD Fuel and keep your saw serviced (sharp chains, clean fuel and air filters) and you will be VERY happy with the PS5100's

Scott

Almost every blown up PS5100 I have seen has been abused due to running wide open with DULL chains... The saw is usually covered in very FINE DUST. This is one reason I recommend 3/8" chain instead of .325" cause the larger tooth tends not to dull as easily. I have seen other issues as well some toward the intake boot either being defective or the factory not seating the clamping spring in the proper position. I have seen ethanol issues causing that damn Zama sealer on the welsh plugs to come loose and block passages!! For the most part keep the chain sharp keep GOOD Fuel and keep your saw serviced (sharp chains, clean fuel and air filters) and you will be VERY happy with the PS5100's

Scott

Scott,

I've loaned my 029 to an uncle that abuses equipment and it came back with a dull chain which was used for hours in that condition. The saw was unharmed. My father-in-law send his 180 to the same uncle with similar results. Both saws seem to have no lingering effects from this abuse.

Do you think there is something in the 5100's design that won't allow it to dissipate the excess heat as well as other saws? If so, I would never consider "loaning" a 5100.

ole joat

Scott,

I've loaned my 029 to an uncle that abuses equipment and it came back with a dull chain which was used for hours in that condition. The saw was unharmed. My father-in-law send his 180 to the same uncle with similar results. Both saws seem to have no lingering effects from this abuse.

Do you think there is something in the 5100's design that won't allow it to dissipate the excess heat as well as other saws? If so, I would never consider "loaning" a 5100.

ole joat

that is why the 5105 has 30% more cooling ability...............somebody figured it out:clap:

GRFI I really don't think you can go wrong with either saw. I have ran both and you are not going to find many people telling you not to buy the 361. If you have never ran the 5100 or 361 I suggest going to the local dealers and asking to run one for as many cuts as you like until you make up your decision which saw to buy.

It took me awhile to get use to the short throttle travel on the 5100. It is very easy while cutting to keep the 5100 pinned due to the short throttle travel. The 5100 with a sharp chain and tuned properly is an awesome saw.

If you do go with the 361 do the lakeside muffler mod which is basically a bolt on fix and you will be more than happy with the saw.

The last thing I would suggest and surprised no one has offered is to find a local AS member near you and meet with one to get either saw running to it's ability. I was lucky to have a brother to do most of this for me. A couple fo hours of your time with an AS member that knows saws will be more then worth it. It will take your CAD to the next level.

I sent you a PM with my number. If you're the Nick from Plainwell, then I am one of the guys who emailed you about the 350. If you haven't bought anything yet, you are more than welcome to stop by and have a go with the Makita 6401, which is the same as the Dolmar 6400 ~ just a different color, and about $200 cheaper than the Dolmar and the Stihl.... I have plenty of wood out back for you to give it a test drive :greenchainsaw::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Chris

Latest posts

Back