Went to use my No Spill gas can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the can in the first post is an older one. I have the newer No-Spill cans and they work great and are very durable so far. People that are complaining about them spilling, are not using them properly. You can't use them like a normal gas can, believe me, I tried. You have to insert the spout in the tank, at least as far as the notch on the spout, and push the button. When the gas level reaches the spout it shuts off, at which point you can top it off if you need or want to. If you are trying to eye ball the level, like you used to, you will spill it. It is simple: insert spout, push button, have faith. Watch the No Spill Jill video.

Rules and mandates by people who may have never mowed their own grass or fueled up a chainsaw--Worried about a spill--New stuff has caused a lot more gas to hit the ground--I went to a local safety supply place and bought a metal safety can with spout--pull and pour--simple. Cost more but no regrets--David
I am going to go that route also. I jus bought a piece of junk safety can because that's all i could find. Except the expensive metal can. I am going to take the horrible plastic can i bought back and just give it to them and buy a metal one.

There are two issues posed in this thread - one relates to quality and the other to operation.

Two have posted with split caps. Is this a defect or a weakening of the cap due to over tightening? I haven't had that issue with my No-Spill but have several of another brand with split caps. I am going to guess a poor cap - of my other brand I have split ones and I have some that balloon into almost a ball from the internal pressure on hot days without splitting the cap. Overall I think the No Spill is good quality or better.

As to operation of the No Spill, the only thing I like is the flow rate when filling my lawn tractor. Other than that I would not pay two cents for the spout or any other of the new spouts. But that's me - I just want to uncap and pour without government mandated interference.

Ron

It looks like the can in the first post is an older one. I have the newer No-Spill cans and they work great and are very durable so far. People that are complaining about them spilling, are not using them properly. You can't use them like a normal gas can, believe me, I tried. You have to insert the spout in the tank, at least as far as the notch on the spout, and push the button. When the gas level reaches the spout it shuts off, at which point you can top it off if you need or want to. If you are trying to eye ball the level, like you used to, you will spill it. It is simple: insert spout, push button, have faith. Watch the No Spill Jill video.

If you go back and look, I stated that it would spill if you didnt burb the can, I never blamed the spilling on the spout. I learned how to use it, and most the time it spilled was my fault.

That said it never was 100 percent reliable and even if I did everything right, it would still fail to shut off like it should once in a while and spill fuel. Also the size of the spout prevents it being used as designed on all saws. You cannot get the spout in some small saws with small tank openings.

My biggest complaint is shown in the picture. The damn thing broke, just setting on a shelf, all by itself.

After all the positive comments about this brand/style of can I just posted this knowing that if others had problems with these they would come on a add to the thread. It seems I was right and am not the only one who had problems with these.

If you like yours and it fits what you need then great..

I love my old eagle cans with the VENT. I ended up helping a buddy do a trash out of a repo and found 3 one gallon cans in great condition. Score of the year.

If you go back and look, I stated that it would spill if you didnt burb the can, I never blamed the spilling on the spout. I learned how to use it, and most the time it spilled was my fault.

That said it never was 100 percent reliable and even if I did everything right, it would still fail to shut off like it should once in a while and spill fuel. Also the size of the spout prevents it being used as designed on all saws. You cannot get the spout in some small saws with small tank openings.

My biggest complaint is shown in the picture. The damn thing broke, just setting on a shelf, all by itself.

After all the positive comments about this brand/style of can I just posted this knowing that if others had problems with these they would come on a add to the thread. It seems I was right and am not the only one who had problems with these.

If you like yours and it fits what you need then great..
If you like your can, you can keep your can!;):cool:

Really this is a option? No thanks I don't want to have to hoist a 5 gallon can just to fill a chainsaw. That clamp on spout looks like a leak waiting to happen anyway.

They also come in 1.3- and 2.6-gal cans. They are current NATO issue, I don't think they like leaks. That metal spout ain't going to split/crack and you can buy a new gasket if they wear out.

And, they are metal. I lost a plastic gas can and a fuel tank on a trimmer to red squirrels in my barn last year. The air rifle and rat traps converted the rodents to "crowfu", but the damage was done.

For transfer to saws I use metal 1-gal coleman fuel cans. They are airtight, don't leak, and keep the fuel from light. Only fill them < 7/8 full and you can pour into a saw without a spout/funnel. They can be had for free if you use coleman fuel for stoves/lanterns or know someone who does.

I'm not a fan of the safety can either. I always seem to have trouble with them. I have one now with a spring loaded thing so you have to push the can down to collapse the spout for it to flow. On a chainsaw the dam saw goes shooting across the tailgate and gas goes everywhere because the spout was stuck open. Real safe! I find that an old style can and a little common sense does the job just fine. Problem is they keep coming up with safety this and safety that to save stupid people from themselves.
I have a flex spout on a 1 gallon can I use to mix and have had zero spills with it.

I have a older model of that jug I think I got it around 2005, mine got a small split under the handle at first.
a few years later the spout give out
I liked mine it was a good jug ....I've seen a few of the newer models with cap broke

View attachment 561735

Can to left was from the 80's They both swell up in the sun and need burped

Hey Brother Man, who the heck ever heard of PADUCAH? LOL! We moved there from S.C. in 1970.

My friend from Syosset(sp?),NY always said "Paducah, what the heck is a Paducah?!"

Nice little town. Growing like crazy. Sure is a Lot different now than when we moved onto KY Ave. when I was 13!

Live out East of there in the Country now, on a dead end gravel road with a view of the Cumberland River Valley. Nice!

Problem is they keep coming up with safety this and safety that to save stupid people from themselves.

Correct but I think you will find that it mostly comes from the people from the EPA in this case. I don't think that its really the so called safety part as much as it is for the emissions standpoint from those silly people in the EPA.

I know how to use a frigging gas can. Been using them for over 50 yrs. It's not rocket science.

I bought a new NO SPILL 2.5 gal. jug. My first stop was at a gas station. I filled it with 2 gals. of gas. Placed the jug on the passenger-side floorboard of my truck. Drove less than two blocks and could smell gas. Looked over at the jug and I could see it weeping gas from under the screw-on cap.

I pulled over, grabbed some paper towels that I keep in my center console and wiped it down, cursing like two dozen drunk sailors on leave. Removed the cap and screwed it back down. Got back in my truck and headed out. Damn thing started weeping again.

Ended up returning the jug to the store I bought it from. The guy I dealt with said that I wasn't the first to return one.

NO SPILL JUGS ARE A POS!

Back