Went to use my No Spill gas can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just glad that I still have quite a few of my old(er) plastic fuel jugs that have served me well for years and years.

They have a vent with a cap and nothing fancy as far as a spout. They've never given me an issue of any kind.

And they were a Hell of a lot cheaper than a No Spill jug.

I know how to use a frigging gas can. Been using them for over 50 yrs. It's not rocket science.

I bought a new NO SPILL 2.5 gal. jug. My first stop was at a gas station. I filled it with 2 gals. of gas. Placed the jug on the passenger-side floorboard of my truck. Drove less than two blocks and could smell gas. Looked over at the jug and I could see it weeping gas from under the screw-on cap.

I pulled over, grabbed some paper towels that I keep in my center console and wiped it down, cursing like two dozen drunk sailors on leave. Removed the cap and screwed it back down. Got back in my truck and headed out. Damn thing started weeping again.

Ended up returning the jug to the store I bought it from. The guy I dealt with said that I wasn't the first to return one.

NO SPILL JUGS ARE A POS!

Good for you Ranger Airborne sir

Im not in the camp of "No spill cans don't work" Im in the camp of "No spill cans are crap and should not exist"

So to those who have said they have no issues....I do believe you but I have used these crap cans before and though they did work without any issues that were not part of the design, I liked the convenience and lack of spilling (as in I spilled more gas with "no spill" cans than with others) of an Eagle can or an older can with a vent. You can have no issues with the newer cans but that is not how I want to live my life. The politics behind it are of course another issue altogether.

Im also interested in how many have "no issues". Are you aware of the other options or do you just not care? I get it, Eagle cans are expensive and so are some of the other better options out there. Does "no issues" mean it is good enough for how much it cost?

Im also interested in how many have "no issues". Are you aware of the other options or do you just not care? I get it, Eagle cans are expensive and so are some of the other better options out there. Does "no issues" mean it is good enough for how much it cost?
I've had a few of the 'cheap' newer 'safety junk' cans and they are junk. The No-Spill brand cans however have worked great for me. The oldest is 6-7 years old and still works great. I don't want steel cans and don't care at all for the Eagle type cans. So the No-Spill is the best plastic can you can buy at this time.

I have had 2 different kinds on this no spill sort of set up. The Biltz or spelling close to that broke at the cap similar to the picture in post #1 but higher up so all the threads remain intact. These were the 5 gallon diesel ones. One broke when being a bit rough taking it off the tailgate, just a slosh and I wonder if this is what happened to get them sued out of existence. I use a sheet of something and what is left of the cap, fill to 4.2 gallons and use a funnel. Actually I have some other designed ones that still work fine but for diesel use the funnel and remove the cap. Another little one I am pretty sure it is Biltz that still is intact at the cap I like a lot for chainsaw string trimmer etc but the plastic in the part to press cracked this winter so the hand has to be placed exactly and squeezed just so but it still works good. I do activate the lever when the can is put in normal position so extra liquid if it exists it returns to the reservoir. This one does not have a good way to keep crud out of the spout, at least any more. The second kind has a plastic cap that needs squeezed just right then the spout thing needs rotated just right and pushed down. This one has a little foot to press against the thing being filled or can be held back. It really does work as to the no spill aspect, I have a couple of things with a small filler opening and by now just trust it. This is the kind on a couple of the diesel 5 gallon containers I just use as a cap. I have pretty much stopped using metal containers due to stuff I see in the screen of the funnel I use for most stuff not chainsaw like filler caps. Admittedly the metal cans I have all are at least 10 years old and the coatings inside are dedicated to a type of fuel that has not been adhered to most likely. Like post 1 the plastic in the cap sure could be more robust, Might look for those water spout things if I remember.

We quit buying fuel by the jug and setup 2 300 gal tanks this summer after one skid steer got a bunch of water in the fuel. Like at least a gallon, maybe 2 bunch.

Used to use 5 gal pails and just fill 10-12 of them and be good for a week or two.

Not sure how water got in a can, but it did.
Now we just call and they deliver fuel. It's about 0.50-0.75 cheaper too than at the pump if we buy at least 500 gals.

I didn't have any issues with the No Spill jug when it came to pouring.

My issue was when I was transporting gas in it. The damn thing weeped gas, even when it only had two gals. of gas in it.

Gotta give it credit though. When it's sitting on the floor of my shop, it doesn't leak. :laugh:

I didn't have any issues with the No Spill jug when it came to pouring.

My issue was when I was transporting gas in it. The damn thing weeped gas, even when it only had two gals. of gas in it.

Gotta give it credit though. When it's sitting on the floor of my shop, it doesn't leak. :laugh:

Just back from auction, $7 like new vented spout plastic can- 10 litre. Ideal for 2.5 gal mix :happybanana:good no spill no slop EZ 2 use

I've been very well satisfied with the no Spill Jill gas cans, we have been using them at work for a couple years, the only time I've ever seen one leak was when the cap was installed wrong.

I use justrite cans, a bit expensive, but they are nice.

Same here. I use some of the one and 2 gallon ones for 2 cycle mix.
I got most of my Justrite cans @ auctions.

But again when I know I'm going to be doing lots of refilling of saws or eq during the day at the wood lot I still take funnel and sometimes even have some bar oil transferred to a easier pour container so as to make the sometimes messy refilling more user friendly for the OP and the eq.;)

I've been very well satisfied with the no Spill Jill gas cans, we have been using them at work for a couple years, the only time I've ever seen one leak was when the cap was installed wrong.

Other than cross-threading the cap when you screw it on, how does it get installed wrong?

Latest posts

Back