whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and looked at 6 jobs tonight to bid. Got 2 of them for sure, maybe more. One guy had a small tree to remove and grind that stump and another stump. Both stumps were 15" diameter. I told him $250. I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. He said it was just too much, and he was gonna have to shop around for a cheaper price. But if he cant find one, hes gonna have me do it. Funny thing about the whole thing is the guy has two cadilacs and one mercedes in his driveway. What a cheap ass.

Went and looked at 6 jobs tonight to bid. Got 2 of them for sure, maybe more. One guy had a small tree to remove and grind that stump and another stump. Both stumps were 15" diameter. I told him $250. I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. He said it was just too much, and he was gonna have to shop around for a cheaper price. But if he cant find one, hes gonna have me do it. Funny thing about the whole thing is the guy has two cadilacs and one mercedes in his driveway. What a cheap ass.

Its always the people you just know have money who either are shocked at the prices or take FOREVER to pay you.

Its always the people you just know have money who either are shocked at the prices or take FOREVER to pay you.

We work in some rich places lambo's ferraris are not an uncommon thing, and some of them flinch at 500$. really amazes me, maybe thats why they have a lambo tho thats where all the bread and milk money went?

Any of you guys ever ask for a deposit on large jobs? Im sick of having to wait sometimes up to a week for my $, especially when I gotta pay for contractors such as a crane or log truck. I dont think people realize what running costs are for a tree conpany.

I get a signed contract and 1/3 deposit on any job that I have to contract a crane. I got burned once or twice before. If that crane rolls out of the shop you are paying the minimum whether you do the job or they cancel. The deposit covers your tail as well as let's you know that they are serious.

Any of you guys ever ask for a deposit on large jobs? Im sick of having to wait sometimes up to a week for my $, especially when I gotta pay for contractors such as a crane or log truck. I dont think people realize what running costs are for a tree conpany.

Only thing is the deposits can cost you the job also. I understand why your doing It I wouldn't want to piss money away either. Sometimes people don't like it tho, a lot of cases that's how people know I'm a straight shooter is no cash till completion. Not a lot for them to worry about. Cash up front causes the fear of you not showing up or it being some type of scam.

Larger crane jobs fly by nights are not tackling so it's usually an established company that can't just flee. so a deposits on something like that seems reasonable.

I get a signed contract and 1/3 deposit on any job that I have to contract a crane. I got burned once or twice before. If that crane rolls out of the shop you are paying the minimum whether you do the job or they cancel. The deposit covers your tail as well as let's you know that they are serious.

600$ min for me if I rent a 60ton. I have never lost it but have had to track people down for over a month for it also. Every time we roll it out the cheapest tree we have ever done with it I think was around 6k because the crane alone usually eats up 2-3. A tree you need a 60ton for is also 2/3 loads with our biggest rigs of just wood.

Really?
Did that conversation come up when you sold the job? Do they know you need their money quickly because your working capital is based on a due date?
Quit complaining if you are screwing yourself.
Jeff

A good working capital cycle balances incoming and outgoing payments to maximize working capital. Unfortunately in these times, it's hard to keep adequate funds in the bank at all times. So it would make sense to get a deposit on a crane job etc. Would I ever ask my customer for a dime before the job was completed, no, but that's just the way I operate.

As many know. I do take deposits, all the time. Anything over 1000, I want 50% This is for first time custys only, repeats, no worries. I tell them straight up, that it is a security deposit, that it shows me that u have the money to pay me. Once the work is complete, you have nothing tangible to recover if they try and burn ya. Just because they have a BMW in the drive, doesn't mean they have the money to pay the tree guy. I have capital and a huge credit line (that I never use) So its not that I need the money, but I have been burned real bad before, wont happen again. Some people, on occasion don't like this and they don't pick me, that's fine. I am easily vetted and if they still feel funny, after they check me out,maybe its because they are the types to rip ya off, anyways, if they don't go with me, that's OK, the next one will. Or, if I am planting a bunch of trees, I will take a material deposit. Ordered in 15 trees once, then they decided they wanted to wait a year!

Its pouring out there already. Both of my chip trucks are getting worked on anyway, so not like I could go out with my moron.. even if I wanted too. Lol. I scheduled a dentist appointment for later (have to have my one tooth worked on, lol). Good stuff.

Its pouring out there already. Both of my chip trucks are getting worked on anyway, so not like I could go out with my moron.. even if I wanted too. Lol. I scheduled a dentist appointment for later (have to have my one tooth worked on, lol). Good stuff.

Must be a long ride... I hear they dont have dentists up in them there hills.

Must be a long ride... I hear they dont have dentists up in them there hills.

Lol. Its actually pretty sweet up this way (I'm sure you know that, but just saying). I couldn't think of any place I'd rather live. I've been just criusing around, trying to get lost on the back roads lately. For some reason treework just doesn't seem so important these days.. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it's a good thing. I'm just enjoying life.. it's like the war is over.

I guess one would have to suffer for as long as I have to understand it. The payout is looking pretty sweet, though!! :)

Yep, anything over $2500 I ask for a deposit (other then municpal or insurance jobs)
Never been screwed over (yet) but that way I know they are serious.

Last edited:
I can count on one hand the number of times I've been screwed over by customers since getting into this game, but in almost every case I should have listened to my gut and not agreed to do the work in the first place. Have never taken a deposit. Some customers do take a long time to pay as in months. That usually becomes the kiss of death as far as ever working for them again.

A large hardscaping / paving company up in my neck of the woods (Fowler Construction) takes 90+ days to pay their subs. One of their estimators joked with me that half of Muskoka (Ontario) works for them, the other half refuses to work for them. Thjey once took slightly over 4 months to pay me and I only got the cheque after some testy phone calls.

If we do an HOA from the 3rd week of the month and finish the 2nd week of the next month, that check could take sixty day's. Happens all the time. The worst is a company here that wait's 180 day's. If it is a big job it might be worth it. I know this is apples to orange's, but saying that, in a demographic scale, it just seem's that having an account that you can work with is worth pushing a little more.
Jeff :msp_w00t:

Finished up with the remaining part of the storm damaged oak job from last week. Neighbour had to go thru his insurance as it pretty much wrote off his new tractor, smoked is little utlility trailer and dinged up the side of his garage. Pretty easy one, got one heck of a soaker today though! Appraiser wanted it off to do his thing. Another day another tree! Looks like we be getting wet all week! :msp_thumbup::msp_tongue:

If we do an HOA from the 3rd week of the month and finish the 2nd week of the next month, that check could take sixty day's. Happens all the time. The worst is a company here that wait's 180 day's. If it is a big job it might be worth it. I know this is apples to orange's, but saying that, in a demographic scale, it just seem's that having an account that you can work with is worth pushing a little more.
Jeff :msp_w00t:

Yeah but you are playing with other people's money... Try holding out for 60 days on
your own paycheck...

Finished up with the remaining part of the storm damaged oak job from last week. Neighbour had to go thru his insurance as it pretty much wrote off his new tractor, smoked is little utlility trailer and dinged up the side of his garage. Pretty easy one, got one heck of a soaker today though! Appraiser wanted it off to do his thing. Another day another tree! Looks like we be getting wet all week! :msp_thumbup::msp_tongue:

Good stuff.

Latest posts

Back