whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to get creative with moving the chipper to a more suitable location. Pic is a little blurry. Done with the iPhone while operating the port-a-wrap.
253754d1348327855-2012-sept-tree-pics-014-jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hate seeing all the colored leaves on the ground, snow is right around the corner

Had to get creative with moving the chipper to a more suitable location. Pic is a little blurry. Done with the iPhone while operating the port-a-wrap.
253754d1348327855-2012-sept-tree-pics-014-jpg

Hate seeing all the colored leaves on the ground, snow is right around the corner[/QUOTE]

My favorite time of year is now , good working weather and all kinds of nice scenery !

Not a bad day. Got off to a good start this morning, got the chipper onto the truck without much trouble thanks to my adventure last night. Got some good sized limbs off of a willow without much fanfare. Nice relaxing lunch. Got 2 oaks pruned out off the house without any trouble. Even managed to chip all the wood and brush, had the truck filled almost perfectly... could have put in about a 60 gal bucket worth of chips and it would have been packed 100% Loaded my friend's truck with rakings plus a little pile of crap that the customer wanted removed. Got my truck and chipper out without trouble (something we were both worried about early in the day) out by 4:00 with green in our hands. Client's friend stopped by, told me to go over to his house and take care of this big white oak in his front yard, checked it out tonight... gonna take some time, upgrade cabling system, prune, put in a rod, etc.

The downside was that the moron who sometimes works with me, I told him to go finish up that job from yesterday this morning... get there whenever you want, (I figure 9 or 10) here's the address. Kid has been there a couple of times already... he can't find the house, doesn't show up there till almost 12:00. Moron. Back pack blower that I left for him the cable is broken (not his fault). Then I told him to go 2 houses up the road and finish cutting vines out of the evergreens... I left a bunch of tools for him at the house. He can't find the tools, so he pulled a couple of vines out that he had cut a few weeks ago, and for some CRAZY reason decided to also pull out the lady's peaneese? from the side of the house, and left them in the driveway. I swear if I could get away with it I'd just shove his body through the chipper, do the entire world a favor.

Yesterday was just one of those days where pretty much everything went perfect. Had my best ground guys back for the day. Ended up using everything we brought.. even set a line at 75' with the slingshot. Very old customer. I have to admit, I looked around a few times, and my heart swelled with pride. Lol.

View attachment 253823

Last edited:
Had some young guys come look at the equipment, partners, about 20 y/o. I don't think these kids had a clue. As soon as they got out of the car, my gut told me to tell them to get right back in, but yah cant judge a book by the cover..........wrong, yes u can! So I entertained it for a bit. Ran them thru the stuff. Asked if they knew how to run a skid loader, then let one get in, nope he don't, maybe moved it around for dad before, but he has never actually RUN the machine. Think they where dreaming, not thinking. They had never driven a big truck, never touched a big saw, wouldn't go all the way up in the bucket, nutting, just a "hey, lets get into the tree service" as if it is, just that easy. They tried low balling me right off, witch irked the **** out of me right away. Playing the great negotiator, that I am, I just said NO. Tried getting me down again, told them "look, this crap will sit and rust away before I let it go for nothing, I don't need to sell it, I want to sell it, big difference young man" I started getting tired of them pretty quick, and started doing chores...........like moving boxes, as they figured out what they wanted to do, kept asking me if I could come down anymore, did they not hear me? ..... NO! The only thing they did know, is that they wanted to eat at a Chick-Fila, they don't have one where they are from, all giddy and stuff with their little skater shoes on.........F'ing kids. Think they had a allowance, a "no more than" deal. And I broke their heart, the one kid had tears as he tried to negotiate. The 3rd kid seemed alright, dressed like a farm kid, had his hat on right, he gave a good firm handshake and looked me in the eye, unlike the other 2. I probably could have dealt with him little better than the other ones, to bad he was the little brother and only 12 or so and was just along for the ride! Complete and total wast of a Saturday. :bang: Should have worked, beautiful day.

Last edited:
If I make enough to swing it this fall, I'm gonna buy a new mason dump for the one ton and paint/restore it one more time. I'll have to post some pics!! Hahaha.
View attachment 253824

Been working on my old green 1 ton dump, gotz to getz me a injector pump. Everything else is new. Also need to get a new electric motor for the dump pump. Ever bought one MDS? How much mula and where?

Been working on my old green 1 ton dump, gotz to getz me a injector pump. Everything else is new. Also need to get a new electric motor for the dump pump. Ever bought one MDS? How much mula and where?

No clue on that one Scott. I wanna say maybe Energy Hydraulics (I think, something with Energy in the name). Mine are all pto powered.

Yesterday was just one of those days where pretty much everything went perfect. Had my best ground guys back for the day. Ended up using everything we brought.. even set a line at 75' with the slingshot. Very old customer. I have to admit, I looked around a few times, and my heart swelled with pride. Lol.

View attachment 253823

The fleet is looking sharp, MDS. You still threatening to buy more equipment, just to stay interested?

The fleet is looking sharp, MDS. You still threatening to buy more equipment, just to stay interested?

Thanks man! And no, I'm holding off for a while, there's nothing that I really need that bad right now. Everything that I've ever bought, the need was kinda glaring. Now if they come out with a robotic groundman, I might have to pull the trigger on a couple of those!! Lol.

lost the front tranny seal in my truck yesterday argh. it started leaking when I was just rolling up to the job ( 35mi away) got there was like well I'm here so I'm going to be fully loaded and broke down vs empty and broke stopped at the nearest auto parts place bought a few gallons of fluid made it 25 miles truck starts smoking a little (dumping fluid on exhaust) 30 mi I was fogging out 6 lanes of expressway pull over let it stop smoking add another gallon and gun it for home shutting down and coasting in neutral, stopped smoking about a mile from home cause the tranny was damn near empty but I made it!!!

I let most of my stuff sit for 2-3 months over the summer cause I was tied up 6 days a week with my day job so I wasn't doing any of my own work finally have some time and everything is broke wiper motor, dome light, spedo, radio, trans in the truck chipper battery shorted out and died after a couple seconds of cranking when I tried starting it up and some how got a bit of water in the fuel... :dizzy:

today pulled the drive shaft and trans cross member and said f it I aint goin after the bell housing bolts today I need to buy 4 feet of extensions anyway to get to a few of them

Left the house later today, got to a good client's house just before lunch to pick up a check. Get there and we are BS'ing for a bit, he shows me this red maple that split in a storm last night. Told him I'd go get lunch and come back to take care of it. Took me about an hour, nothing crazy. So I've worked for this guy for at least 4 years now, done over 10K at his house. This past winter we had a pretty big billing discreppancy, and I honestly thought I was going to be canned from the property... long story I don't want to get into. For the maple I told him $20 plus something to drink, because he's been really good to me over the years. Take a look at the check, he added on another $300 to the bill for my time today. :msp_thumbup:

Other than that, nothing too special, met with a client about the white oak from last night, and went over some details of a crane job that I have coming up. Also got my chevy dropped off to have the brakes done... we will see where that winds up. Vacuumed Dodge Vader, and got it armorall'ed. Gonna go primp it tomorrow... new seat covers just came in, plus the floormats and the wash that I was unable to get to today.

The big trucks are staying home today. Gotta Wraptor up a couple oaks over on the lake. Nothing big, just some dead and a few storm damaged limbs. See if I can get back in touch with my inner climber. I have a decent takedown next door too, but I don't think I'm up for getting involved with all that today. Its the "helper", I'm just not feeling it. Sigh. Maybe I can at least train him to tie things on today. I'm not feeling real optimistic about that, but we'll see. Lol... oh God, just shoot me!!

Then later on I have to see if I can get through another appointment with my dentist without strangling him.. but that's another story. :msp_sneaky:

Haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I have a bunch of prunes lined up,so I suppose I will go after those this week. I have one client to hit this week , has all the toys, all I need is my gear. He has everything else. Dude is super loaded, has 10 acres, decided this spring to go buy all the stuff to farm it.Big brand new John Deere tractor and all the attachments, seeder, disc, some other weird looking devices. Only thing he don't have, a combine....yet. All I have to do is get the stuff on the ground, he takes it a away to a burn pit with his brand new, biggest and baddest John Deere track skid loader. He is a computer nerd who is the IT contractor for Deere and Alcoa. He has a server at his house that requires him to have a extra large power box, ya know the green boxes that sit in someones yard, that powers the whole hood, he has a bigger one, just for his house! Buys all this stuff just for fun..................Justification for Higher Education! Plus he is going to let us use his woods for paintball, cool client to have!

Over the last 2 weeks or so I've been looking to get a new phone. Though I'm not due for an upgrade, I'm not happy with what I have now, and paying $150 per month for service I think I should be able to be happy with what I have. Go into the Verizon store tonight, oh you're not due for an upgrade, please pay full retail... $300 - $600. F that!:angry2: Think I might spend some time tomorrow shopping for a new service provider. Damn Verizon wants $199 for a cancellation fee, or if I use my insurance that costs me $5 per month? it's a $89 deductable :dizzy: WTF do I pay the $5 per month for???? darn cell companies!

went ninty foot on a maple top to cut the dead out then went to trim seven small trees mostly ornamentals. had one of the two groundies tell me he doesn't get paid to climb so he won't do it. mind you he says he knows how. I told him to do it or walk back to the shop and boy did his attitude change. I still did five of seven but it helped. When did trainies think they should make premium. He's still not trusted on the ground with a saw but thinks he's worth big money. The only thing he's got going is he owes the boss a bill of his pay check every week for a loan. Only nice thing is i do pretty good on my own work so maybe i won't be putting up with this crap much more

Pruned a pair of big Canary Island Pines and cleaned up the property. Had a couple Italian Cypresses too bleh.

Might be the 10th job I have done for this construction company that fixes up foreclosed homes so the banks can sell 'em. I am the only tree guy they call now. Pretty nice gig.

2day...

...home with ear infection... did a little work setting up for tmw... i m hard cutting an oleander hedge... i sharpened chippys blades and the loppers... loaded the scaffold, genny, ladders, hedge gear, etc... checked all the fluids... then i pet the cats for a while... fed the turtle dove i rescued... i pulled into a clients driveway just as a cat was pouncing on him... i think hes got a dislocated wing (no cuts or bites)... next weekend i m going to the mountains to bring him to the bird sanctuary... they said they will x ray him... see if they can get him to fly again... if not he will be place with a family who volunteers to care of birds like him... so if he dont fly free at least he can chill out with other crippled birds like him...

P9255786.jpg

Latest posts

Back